I wonder whether Blazek uses Velcro to keep his parts from coming loose

Cidu Bill on Jan 10th 2013

ace.gif

Well first of all I don’t quite get it. That’s probably evident by the CIDU tag and the fact that it’s appearing at 12:02am EST. But in addition, Tom Drane points out that Velcro is a company name.

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Dave Blazek, Loose Parts, Velcro, comic strips, comics, humor | 11 responses so far

11 Responses to “I wonder whether Blazek uses Velcro to keep his parts from coming loose”

1. Arthur Jan 10th 2013 at 12:06 am 1

If the tie were held on with velcro, it would just
    come off instead of killing him. Thus, the other man
    has “proven” its desirability.

2. Rusty Jan 10th 2013 at 12:26 am 2

Why have a Velcro tie when clip-on ties already exist?

3. Singapore Bill Jan 10th 2013 at 12:58 am 3

Why even wear a clip-on tie when you can just sit in your mobile home, watching Wheel of Fortune until the next twister hits?

4. Proginoskes Jan 10th 2013 at 01:44 am 4

Why wake up and go to a job that you hate, when you can sleep until noon and learn to play the sitar?

Neaun, ting ting, neaun, ting ting, neaun ting, neaun, ting ting, neaun, ting ting, neaun ting …

(Easy once you know how.)

(Yeah, I stole this from Bill Hicks, but let’s see him crawl through the earth to get a lawyer to sue me.)

5. DemetriosX Jan 10th 2013 at 06:03 am 5

Velcro has become so generic that nobody would have gotten what little humor there is in this strip if Blazek had used the technical term “hook and burr fasteners”.

6. Another BR Jan 10th 2013 at 08:08 am 6

I believe that “hook and loop” fasteners is more commonly heard than hook-and-burr. Only in the Arctic would you want to use hook-and-brrr fasteners.

What I didn’t know is that “velcro” is a French portmanteau of “velours” and “crochet.”

7. zookeeper Jan 10th 2013 at 08:17 am 7

Invented by a man with a wire-haired terrier who ran through the burdock. Really.

8. DPWally Jan 10th 2013 at 12:32 pm 8

I can see why “ACE hook and loop company” would be confusing, but why not “Velcro Industries”? Better, I think, to set this story at a real company than to set it at a fictional company whose name would violate the trademark of a real company.

9. Kamino Neko Jan 10th 2013 at 01:03 pm 9

You know, I had to read this three times before I saw the word ‘into’, and I kept wondering what the heck Velcro had to do with anything.

Also ‘wouldn’t expanding ties be HELL to put on?’

10. Scott Jan 10th 2013 at 01:58 pm 10

BTW, considering the weight of the man and how the rope is tied around the tie, it will still come off as the rock falls.

11. Soup Dragon Jan 10th 2013 at 04:08 pm 11

And if it doesn’t come of; if PHB can hold the rock that easily, employee can hold it with his neck.