Tinmanicity

Cidu Bill on Jan 9th 2013

Lola:

heart1.gifheart2.gif

Filed in Bill Bickel, Hilary B. Price, Mark Parisi, Off the Mark, Rhymes With Orange, Wizard of Oz, comic strips, comics, humor, synchronicity | 14 responses so far

14 Responses to “Tinmanicity”

1. Kamino Neko Jan 9th 2013 at 12:16 pm 1

There’s a new Oz movie coming out, soon (Oz the Great and Powerful)…not entirely sure how soon, but that might have put Oz in a lot of cartoonist’s minds. (It’s a prequel, about Oz coming to power in…ah…Oz, so the Tin Man, Lion, and Dorothy don’t actually appear, but still…)

2. Elyrest Jan 9th 2013 at 12:22 pm 2

Does it count as synchronicity that I finished Ann & Nancy Wilson’s book “Kicking & Dreaming: A Story of Heart, Soul, and Rock and Roll” the same day these were published? It was an good read if you have any interest in their music and an interesting take on women in rock.

3. New-ish Guy Jan 9th 2013 at 03:35 pm 3

I completely forgot that “Heart” was (is?) a rock’n'roll group. Should the first one qualify for the “Geezer” tag also?

4. Elyrest Jan 9th 2013 at 03:55 pm 4

New-ish Guy - I don’t think Heart would be a geezer. They are still active and released their most recent album, “Fanatic”, this past October. Their 2010 album was in the Billboard album top 10. The fact that Heart was chosen to be inducted into the 2013 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame means they’ve been around awhile, but I don’t think that makes them a geezer.

5. Dave in Asheville Jan 9th 2013 at 07:52 pm 5

Not very cowardly.

6. Lost in A**2 Jan 9th 2013 at 07:54 pm 6

I’ve seen the title on a local theater’s marquis recently. IMDB lists three movies, the most recent from 2006, and Indonesia. I don’t know which one is referenced in the comic, though.

7. Powers Jan 10th 2013 at 08:40 am 7

I don’t think I’d ever heard of Heart until I heard they were going to help honor Led Zeppelin at the Kennedy Center Honors.

(By playing “Stairway to Heaven”. With Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, and President Obama in the audience. No pressure there!)

8. Jeff S. Jan 10th 2013 at 09:55 am 8

Lost… It isn’t a movie marquee, but a concert marquee, advertising the band Heart. I do find the “Now Playing” phrasing odd though. I don’t think I have EVER seen that outside a concert venue.

9. Kevin A. Jan 10th 2013 at 10:46 am 9

I thought Heart WAS Led Zeppelin the first time I heard Crazy on You, even though something felt a little strange about it. I didn’t know Heart was going to be on the Kennedy Center Honors so when they came out do that final number, I felt some deep, deep rush of joy, vindication/freedom from internal embarrassment (after 36 years), and a sense of incredible luck and gratitude that I got to see them participate in such a good cover.

10. Keera Jan 10th 2013 at 10:52 am 10

Jeff, you’ve probably seen “Playing tonight” though. :-)

Elyrest, that book sounds interesting! Thanks for the tip!

11. Lola Jan 10th 2013 at 05:41 pm 11

Kevin, Heart and Jefferson Airplane too.

12. Elyrest Jan 10th 2013 at 07:26 pm 12

The Heart/ Led Zeppelin connection goes way back. In their early days Heart did a lot of covers of Led Zeppelin. Ann Wilson writes about Led Zeppelin appearing in town (mid-70’s), but not being able to go see them as Heart was performing at the hot, hip club in town (pretty sure Vancouver). Ann is belting out Stairway to Heaven and who should walk in but Led Zeppelin. They didn’t get to meet then, but in 1995 John Paul Jones produced a live acoustic album for Heart called “The Road Home”. The Kennedy Center Honors was a great performance. It’s on YouTube if you want to watch it.

Keera - “Kicking & Dreaming” is a good read and if you like it you might also like Cyndi Lauper’s recent memoir. It’s called “Cyndi Lauper: A Memoir” and gives her take on being a female in the music business. I really loved reading about Lauper’s early days - what a lovely soul she seems to have. The past couple of years has seen an windfall of rock musician autobiographies.

13. Keera Jan 12th 2013 at 02:20 pm 13

Elyrest, thanks again! I saw Cyndi Lauper in concert in 2011 (”Is Bergen a resort town or something?”). Absolutely loved her and everything she had to say (and she said a lot, which made the men in the audience impatient so she yelled at them for interrupting her. LOL!). And discovered another side to her, too: Blues. Who knew she used to cover Janis Joplin songs? Doesn’t sound (!) possible, but she sure has the heart and guts for it!

14. Mark in Boston Jan 12th 2013 at 02:33 pm 14

Now the Tin Man is one of the ones who DOESN’T ever sleep, being as he’s not a human or animal (unless you count being rusted in place fully conscious). Dorothy and the Lion actually can be caught napping, if there are enough poppies in the field.