Final Christmas Arlo Award

Cidu Bill on Jan 9th 2013



(Any Christmas-themed comics I come across from this point forward will get queued up for next Christmas)

Filed in Arlo Award, Bill Bickel, Brian Basset, Christmas, comic strips, comics, humor | 19 responses so far

19 Responses to “Final Christmas Arlo Award”

  1. Harold Jan 9th 2013 at 04:10 pm 1

    It’s called the “male” end, Sport, because it’s got two little pee-pees on it.

  2. Elyrest Jan 9th 2013 at 06:05 pm 2

    Harold - You’ve still got to explain the female end.

  3. Ray Brady Jan 9th 2013 at 08:08 pm 3

    I have to suspect just about any child would refer to it as “the plug”.

  4. Chipper Jan 9th 2013 at 09:06 pm 4

    It is funny how that terminology is so prevalent in our language, that we go ahead & use it, forgetting WHY we use it, then blush when a kid asks about it. A co-worker was explaining his job molding plastics to some cub scouts and talked about the male mold. He was asked why it was called that. He ended up telling them to ask their fathers.

  5. Kilby Jan 10th 2013 at 03:49 am 5

    Ray is correct (@3), for standard electrical appliances the normal terms are “plug” and “socket”, only computer nerds would use “male” and “female”. These terms for connectors arose when computer manufacturers started using both types for all sorts of linkages in a non-intuitive fashion, making it difficult for many users to predict which type of connector was needed for what purpose. Unlike computer accessories, an electrical appliance always has a plug on the end of its wire, never a socket (daisy-chainable Christmas lights that have a socket at one end of the end of the wire are a rare exception). Actually, I have not seen such lights for a very long time, they might qualify for a geezer alert, or it might just be that the electrical code does not permit them in Germany.)

  6. DemetriosX Jan 10th 2013 at 05:58 am 6

    @5 Kilby
    Actually the “male” and “female” terminology has been around for a really long time. Red’s father is an engineer (aerospace I think) and so it’s natural he would first use the technical term without really thinking about it. the terms may have moved into wider use with computers, but engineers have always used them.

    As for the daisy chaining lights, I don’t know if they still exist in the US or not. Although it’s never explicitly addressed, Red and Rover is set in the late 60s or early 70s and those lights were standard in those days.

  7. Dan W Jan 10th 2013 at 08:12 am 7

    @Kilby, I’ve never seen a string of Christmas lights here in the US that DOESN’T have a socket on one end.

  8. heather Jan 10th 2013 at 08:32 am 8

    I’m in Canada and like Dan, you never see Christmas lights without male and female ends.

    And yes, I used “male” and “female”. ;) Plug and socket works too, of course, but DemetriosX is correct in that the m/f terminology has been around for ages and ages and is not just a computer tech thing. It would be perfectly natural for me to call it that.

  9. padraig Jan 10th 2013 at 09:25 am 9

    And why is it always “Slot A” and “Tab B”? Why not “Slot A” and “Tab A”? Or would that be considered incestuous? I suppose some people would see it as a plot to promote A-sexuality.

  10. Jeff S. Jan 10th 2013 at 09:32 am 10

    I believe the terminology has been around for a VERY long time… since Adam and Eve. ;-)

    I’m just sayin’

  11. Keera Jan 10th 2013 at 10:46 am 11

    Speaking of terms that your parents should explain: It took me a long time not to get a little worked up at the computer asking me if I wanted to abort. The word they use now is cancel.

  12. Cidu Bill Jan 10th 2013 at 12:06 pm 12

    “‘Abort’ is another word for ‘end’”

    No problem here.

  13. Cidu Bill Jan 10th 2013 at 12:08 pm 13

    (Thinking about it now, my kids heard me say “abort mission!” years before they ever heard the word used in any reproductive context)

  14. Morris Keesan Jan 10th 2013 at 01:06 pm 14

    I was using male and female connectors, and referring to them as such, when doing theatre lighting in 1970.

  15. Mark Hanson Jan 10th 2013 at 02:45 pm 15

    I remember in my freshman EE lab at college the embarrassment of one freshman girl when she figured out why the connectors were named that way. She blushed bright red.

  16. Cidu Bill Jan 10th 2013 at 03:11 pm 16

    Today, Mark, the professor would probably be called up on sexual harassment charges.

  17. Meryl A Jan 15th 2013 at 02:36 am 17

    Christmas lights have a female end on one end and a male end for the plug on the other, but the back end of the plug is also female so that the sets can be connected end to end or gang connected at the plugs. 2 girls for every guy?

  18. Kilby Jan 15th 2013 at 03:53 am 18

    @ Meryl A (17) - That system is used only in the U.S. (and presumes that every user does not overload by chaining too many sets together). German Christmas lights are all solo strings (partly because the plugs and sockets here are larger than the American form).

  19. Morris Keesan Jan 15th 2013 at 08:52 am 19

    Meryl A #17, if that kind of connector isn’t called “hermaphroditic”, it should be.

Comments RSS

Leave a Reply