CIDUlicious

Cidu Bill on Jan 9th 2013

fergie.gif
Okay, I know (for some reason) that Fergie sang with the Black Eyed Peas (though when she first came on the scene, I confess I thought the Duchess of York had started a singing career; hey, it’s no more unreasonable than a Duchess of York becoming spokesperson for Weight Watchers); but beyond that, there’s so much going on in this strip that’s whizzing over my head…

Filed in Argyle Sweater, Bill Bickel, CIDU, Fergie, Scott Hilburn, comic strips, comics, humor | 31 responses so far

31 Responses to “CIDUlicious”

1. Arthur Jan 9th 2013 at 12:10 am 1

The joke: He ate the group, “Black Eyed Peas”.
    “Fergalicious” is there just in case you couldn’t figure that out
    (and you knew that Fergie sang with the group).

2. Robert Dye Jan 9th 2013 at 12:34 am 2

The other poster beat me to it, except that you may not know that lots of folk eat black-eyed peas for good luck in the New Year (not everyone has heard of this. When we moved from Oklahoma to Connecticut in 1972, people didn’t even know what black-eyed peas *were.*)

3. PeterW Jan 9th 2013 at 12:37 am 3

Why is this a New Year’s tradition, though?

4. Folly Jan 9th 2013 at 12:42 am 4

Because eating black eyed peas IS a new years tradition. Especially in the South. To bring prosperity in the new year.

5. Folly Jan 9th 2013 at 12:43 am 5

Fergalicious was one of their songs also.

Seems like a tradition that would be hard to maintain after more than one year or so.

6. mitch4 Jan 9th 2013 at 01:05 am 6

Truly, when first aware of the group, I had that same “Fergie” uncertainty that Bill describes.

7. James Pollock Jan 9th 2013 at 01:35 am 7

Wikipedia answers all:
    “‘Fergalicious’ is a song performed by American recording artist Fergie for her first studio album The Dutchess (2006).”

Technically, it’s not a Black-Eyed Peas song, as only half of them were involved.

(Yes, the song has its own Wikipedia entry.)

8. Mike Jan 9th 2013 at 01:55 am 8

I see he still has some leftovers on the table.

9. Sal Jan 9th 2013 at 08:42 am 9

its a CIDU when you have to google the meaning. I had no idea that Fergalicious was a song, and that a person named Fergie was in a musical group that I had only vauge ideas about called the Black Eyed Peas.I know abotut the food tradition,but not about its origin I suppose I wil have to google that as well(sigh) all this work for a comic.

10. Charlene Jan 9th 2013 at 09:21 am 10

I didn’t know that black-eyed peas were even a food.

11. Rasheed Jan 9th 2013 at 09:44 am 11

My dad’s family is from Guyana, South America (former Brit colony). They have a dish called “cook-up rice” which is popular in south Caribbean countries. It’s a non-spiced jambalaya-type dish with coconut milk boiled in, and black-eyed peas “for luck.” My sibs and wife aren’t fans, but I don’t think it’s bad at all.

12. Judge Mental Jan 9th 2013 at 09:55 am 12

One man’s CIDU is another man’s LOL. I was confused by what people didn’t get about this one, and I don’t need mean that in a condescending way. It sounds like this is one where there a lot of different reasons the idea got lost.

- Evidently many people didn’t know that eating black eyed peas was a New Year’s tradition, and some people didn’t even realize “black eyed peas” were an actual food item. In retrospect, the New Year’s thing does not surprise me, but I had no idea that black-eyed peas (the food) was a regional thing. I am sure for those people, the band name must have really struck you as odd the first time you heard it.
    - Can I assume that everyone realized that Hannibal Lector was a cannibal?
    - A lot of people seemed confused by the “Fergalicious” response. I thought this was actually a pretty good punch line because a) it lets Clarice know he meant the people, not the food b) it is the name of a song sung by Fergie (a member of the Black Eyed Peas) and c) it is a reasonable substitute for “delicious”. It sounds like part b was off of some people’s radar, but I would have thought if you realized Fergie was a member of the Black Eyed Peas, you didn’t necessarily have to be familiar with the song.

13. Daniel J. Drazen Jan 9th 2013 at 10:02 am 13

Another name for the New Year’s dish featuring black-eyed peas and rice is Hoppin’ John. It also features ham/sausage/bacon and chopped onion.

14. jrpstonecarver Jan 9th 2013 at 11:11 am 14

People eat many things for good luck in the new year. The first tradition like that I was exposed to was lentils. First meal of the new year was supposed to include them, perhaps because they are shaped like coins?

But hadn’t heard people at black eyed peas in that context before, only barely new a musical group of that name existed, and had no idea that Fergie had ever performed with them (or at all, for that matter). I did know enough about Hannibal Lecter to get the rest of the context, but CIDU is right for me.

15. AMC Jan 9th 2013 at 01:51 pm 15

There is also, of course, the classic line about eating a census taker’s liver with fava beans and a nice Chianti.

16. Nitric Acid Jan 9th 2013 at 02:41 pm 16

As a Canadian, I’ll add that…
    - I knew “black-eyed peas” were a food long ago, because Sesame Street mentioned them in a song “…black-eyed peas/To give you big strong muscles…” And possibly an old joke about them coming from vines that had been fighting.
    - I never knew they had any traditions associated with them
    - I knew there was a band called “Black-Eyed Peas”, but had no idea what any of their songs were.
    - I only knew the name “Fergie” as Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York.

17. Cidu Bill Jan 9th 2013 at 03:24 pm 17

In the end, there was never any need for anybody to turn to Google or Wikipedia: cumulatively, we knew all the pieces of the puzzle.

18. Lola Jan 9th 2013 at 06:18 pm 18

Fergie the singer and Fergie the princess are NOT the same person? Truthfully, I never really thought about it, but they both sort of appeared on the scene about the same time and I’d never known of anybody else by that name and since they were just background noise, figured it was one person. Boy am I glad THAT never came up on a test.

19. Kamino Neko Jan 9th 2013 at 07:08 pm 19

Fergie, the singer, is 20 years younger than the Duchess of York, and was 11 when the latter married Prince Andrew. So, while, yes, they did appear at about the same time, the singer was a little kid at the time.

20. Lola Jan 9th 2013 at 07:19 pm 20

It was probably more around the time of the divorce. She’d need a career then, right? Makes sense to a mind that isn’t paying attention. At any rate, until today it never occurred to me that this person that I had no interest in was actually two people that I had no interest in.

21. Elyrest Jan 9th 2013 at 07:45 pm 21

“This is probably the kind of internet posting that people eventually REALLY regret not having used an alias for.”

Oh, Lola - Most of us have posted things that make a lot less sense than that.

22. Lost in A**2 Jan 9th 2013 at 08:01 pm 22

The thing that caught my eye above was the use of “half” for a trio.

23. Cidu Bill Jan 9th 2013 at 10:47 pm 23

Lola, I admitted I’d thought they were the same person, and I reveal my first name, my last name, and an almost-daily link to my “day job.”

24. James Pollock Jan 9th 2013 at 11:39 pm 24

The Black-Eyed Peas haven’t been a trio since Fergie joined. Two (2) of the four (4) Black-Eyed Peas were involved with “Fergalicious”, and the fraction 2/4 reduces to 1/2, or “half”.

25. Lost in A**2 Jan 9th 2013 at 11:49 pm 25

I’d thought the group consisted of Fergie, Will.I.Am and a DJ, whose name might be Jam Master J. Who is the fourth?

(So I’m lazy. Still, I’ll probably try a web search most skosh.)

26. Lost in A**2 Jan 9th 2013 at 11:56 pm 26

Taboo and apl.de.ap. Jam Master Jay worked with Run-DMC.

So I have the names, at least.

27. guero Jan 10th 2013 at 02:36 am 27

Daniel J Drazen is correct, the preferred delivery method for your yearly fix of good luck is Hoppin’ John, usually prepared with a kick (as in red chili peppers). And similar to jrpstonecarver’s lentils, for full effect, the dish should be eaten before noon, January 1.

I’m not surprised that it is not commonly known outside of the South, though. When I was a wee tyke, we (both parents born and raised in the wilds of Arkansas) lived in Delaware. My mother had stories about her efforts to find a lot of her favorite foods “up North”. When she asked for black-eyed peas at the markets, they just looked at her funny and said “Why would you want them? That’s what we feed to the livestock.” (Thus, I presume, their other name - cow peas.) I don’t think anyone knew what collard greens were. She had to find a butcher willing to save her favorites: pigskin (for making cracklin’) and, of course, chittlins (or more formally, chitterlings, and if you don’t know what that is, trust me, you don’t want to know.) To this day, I still have black-eyed peas on New Years Day (and will even make up a batch of Hoppin’ John if I’m feeling particularly energetic), but, thankfully, I never developed a taste for those other “delicacies”.

28. Keera Jan 10th 2013 at 10:58 am 28

I know who the two Fergies are, I have seen “Silence of the Lamb” (and have to keep reminding myself why the movie poster shows a moth), I know that black-eyed peas are food (and black-eyed Susans are flowers) but nobody in my family (nor in Norway) has a tradition of good luck food for New Year’s so I still didn’t quite get this until the CIDUpedia contributors chimed in. :-)

29. Kamino Neko Jan 10th 2013 at 12:52 pm 29

Yeah, funny thing about that - I wouldn’t have known about black-eyed peas as a new years tradition if not for an American friend talking about them just a few hours before I saw this comic. (And I even made a joke about the band!)

30. Todd Jan 12th 2013 at 09:45 pm 30

I knew that Black Eyed Peas was a food and a band, and that the Fergie in the band was not the Duchess of York. Although I think admitting you didn’t know that there were two Fergies would be something to be proud about. Right up there with not knowing how many Kardashian sisters there are.

31. Lost in A**2 Jan 12th 2013 at 10:01 pm 31

Or what a Honey Boo Boo is.