Yes, it’s a bad day. So?

Cidu Bill on Jan 8th 2013

badday.gif

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Six Chix, comic strips, comics, humor | 20 responses so far

20 Responses to “Yes, it’s a bad day. So?”

1. Nitric Acid Jan 7th 2013 at 11:05 pm 1

In contrast to the classic children’s book “Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.” Alexander thought his day was bad- wait until he’s a grown-up and finds out what a really bad day is.

2. Logan Jan 7th 2013 at 11:44 pm 2

She oughta install Linux on that computer.

3. Dave in Boston Jan 7th 2013 at 11:56 pm 3

Linux bridged the quality gap between Linux and Windows long ago.

4. James Pollock Jan 8th 2013 at 01:15 am 4

I’ve had more Kernel Panics (1) than Stop Errors (0) in the last four years, despite using Windows about 6:1.

5. Meryl A Jan 8th 2013 at 01:51 am 5

Seems like a normal day around here to me.

6. Kilby Jan 8th 2013 at 03:47 am 6

As bad as this day might be, it was not improved at all by reading that comic.

7. Powers Jan 8th 2013 at 07:41 am 7

If the strip had actually tried to draw a comparison between Alexander’s day and this one — “Alexander had nothing on this horrible, &c, day”, for example — then there might be the kernel of a joke here. As it is, it’s just appropriating a well-known phrase (very commonly used online in headlines and the like) for no apparent humorous purpose.

8. Dan W Jan 8th 2013 at 08:22 am 8

Where is the voice coming from asking her about being fired?

9. Elyrest Jan 8th 2013 at 08:29 am 9

Six Chix is, more often than not, just a slice of life - not usually funny as much as an I’ve been there moment. This one is a take off on Judith Viorst’s, quite nicely done, “Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day”. Alexander was Viorst’s youngest son and he most likely has had a few terrible, horrible, no good days because his mother used his name.

10. farmer Jan 8th 2013 at 08:59 am 10

I think Elyrest has it best. As the son of a children’s librarian, I got a decent kick out of this, though it would have been better with some actual relevance to the book.

11. mitch4 Jan 8th 2013 at 11:57 am 11

Where is the voice coming from asking her about being fired?

She keeps a spouse in the upper corner desk drawer.

No, I’m sorry, that’s in The Pyjama Diaries

12. Keera Jan 8th 2013 at 12:42 pm 12

I’m glad this got explained. I have never heard of Alexander or his day.

13. farmer Jan 8th 2013 at 01:42 pm 13

At the very least, given the strip’s focus on women, it could have been titled “Alexandria’s terrible, etc.”

14. The Ploughman Jan 8th 2013 at 01:46 pm 14

Maybe if it involved the grown-up Alexander (similar to the thought by Nitric (1)).

15. jjmcgaffey Jan 9th 2013 at 01:56 am 15

She’s on the phone - see that black curvy thing tucked under her cheek? So her husband has just been fired and called to tell her so…along with everything else. That aside - yeah, kinda flat. I do know the Terrible, Horrible etc, but the reference got a nod and no smile, let alone laugh.

16. Bells-And-Motley Jan 9th 2013 at 03:56 am 16

Hi Elyrest,

As awful as Alexander Viorst’s days might be, I’ll bet that they are nothing compared to the late Christopher Robin Milne’s. (The only reason that C. R. Milne didn’t change his name was because he wouldn’t inherit any of A. A.’s money if he did.)

17. Elyrest Jan 9th 2013 at 12:29 pm 17

Bells-And-Motley - You’re right. Christopher Robin Milne hated his name and he wasn’t happy about pretty much anything that concerned Pooh.

18. Todd Jan 12th 2013 at 05:34 am 18

What did he do, always introduce himself as Christopher Robin Milne? It seems to me Chris Milne or Rob Milne would not cause people to easily think of Pooh.

19. fj Jan 12th 2013 at 10:18 am 19

C. R. Milne wasn’t happy with prety much anything that concerned his father.

From his NY Times obituary…

Mr. Milne described his father as a man who used his small son’s youth to stave off his own middle age.

“When I was three, my father was three,” he wrote. “When I was six, he was six,” adding “he needed me to escape from being 50.”

He said his father kept his only child at a distance: “His heart remained buttoned up all through his life.”

20. Mark in Boston Jan 12th 2013 at 02:24 pm 20

A good parody of “Now We Are Six”: http://www.amazon.com/Now-Are-Sixty-Christopher-Matthew/dp/B000F6Z8Y2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358018359&sr=8-1&keywords=now+we+are+sixty

“They’re changing sex at Buckingham Palace!”
    Murgatroyd mutters with undisguised malice.
    “Roger is marrying one of the guard –
    Bugger whose bearskin reeks of pomade,
    Called Alice.”