And one more Arlo Award for Dan Piraro. Or Wayno. Or whoever…

Cidu Bill on Jan 7th 2013

feline.gif

Filed in Arlo Award, Bizarro, Dan Piraro, cats, comic strips, comics, humor | 12 responses so far

12 Responses to “And one more Arlo Award for Dan Piraro. Or Wayno. Or whoever…”

1. Jeff S. Jan 7th 2013 at 01:06 pm 1

The “fat cat” is enjoying his phone sex!

2. Mike Jan 7th 2013 at 02:43 pm 2

Do 900 numbers dictate a geezer tag yet?

3. Cidu Bill Jan 7th 2013 at 04:29 pm 3

900 numbers no longer exist??

4. The Ploughman Jan 7th 2013 at 06:11 pm 4

I wouldn’t think so, but they advertise “chat lines” (reached by them old-fashioned telephones) in this area. Although they don’t use a 900 extension - can’t remember what it is, probably some variant on 800 or 855.

I can still remember getting a lecture from my parents about never calling a number with a 900 in it. They were more concerned about the 4.99 per minute than my having a brush with audio-eroticism.

5. Mark M Jan 7th 2013 at 06:16 pm 5

The look on the calling cat’s face is a bit unsettling…

6. J-L Jan 7th 2013 at 07:53 pm 6

While I have little doubt that the artist knew this cartoon would invoke 1-900 numbers of a sexual nature, I have to mention that there were many other types of 1-900 numbers out there: There were some that were meant to play like a video game, ones that let you talk to Santa Claus, ones that supposedly told you some of the funniest jokes in the world, and even ones that connected you to phone psychics.

Some were targeted to kids, and some to adults, but they all had one thing in common: They were just another way to separate consumers from their money. Sure, they may have sounded all cheery in the commercials (Santa Claus is so friendly and nice and willing to hear everything you want to tell him), but the reality is that the other side of the conversation is an operation that looks nothing like what the commercial implies.

For this reason, I don’t think the cartoon is necessarily Arlo-worthy, but it could be. But if the artist contradicts me, I’ll concede.

Personally, I find this cartoon witty because people in general enjoy hearing cats purr, and this cartoon asks the question: In a cat-world, would people pay good money to hear cats purr over the phone?

Apparently one fly-by-night company thinks so.

7. Carl Jan 8th 2013 at 06:59 am 7

900 numbers did in fact largely die in the USA a little while ago. Verizon won’t connect them, and they were the last landline carrier to do so. They’re doing OK in overseas markets, I believe.

8. Kilby Jan 8th 2013 at 07:12 am 8

AT&T stopped offering billing and collection services for 900-number clients over a decade ago, making it much harder for such companies to extract money for their shady operations. Since then, the 900-number concept has been marginalized to such a degree that there is no single (reputable) service that offers a directory listing for 900 numbers.

P.S. The artist was at least careful enough to use a six-letter word as the number (so that calling it won’t work). I tried, but was not able to find whether there is an actual 900-number that starts with “FELINE” (900-335-463*)

(*) I remember being totally fooled by someone who told me about an “ethnic” joke hotline (I’ve eliminated the nationality in the number to avoid getting anyone’s dander up): 1-800-ETH-NICQ … I dialed all the way to the end before discovering that a standard touchtone phone does NOT have a “Q” (or a “Z”) in its alphabet.

9. padraig Jan 8th 2013 at 08:28 am 9

Reminds me of an obsolete joke that I just heard.

A dog walks into a telegraph office (told you it was obsolete) and drops the cost of a telegraph on the desk in front of the operator. The operator dutifully takes up his pad and pencil, and the dog dictates, “Woof woof woof woof woof woof woof woof woof .”

The operator looks at it and says, “That’s only nine words. You can add one more at no additional cost.”

The dog says, “But that would make no sense.”

(bonus points if anyone can turn this into a Twitter joke.)

10. Elyrest Jan 8th 2013 at 08:44 am 10

Kilby - I remember that joke. I think the point of it was, of course, that whoever tried to dial was a little stupid for trying it. No offense - I looked at the phone dial myself when I heard it.

11. J-L Jan 8th 2013 at 11:09 am 11

padraig (#9):

Thanks for the joke. I enjoyed it.

12. Mark in Boston Jan 12th 2013 at 02:04 pm 12

I tried the 1-800-ETHNICQ gag on someone and he came back later and said “It didn’t work.”

“What do you mean, it didn’t work?”

“I dialed 1-800-ETHNICQ and didn’t get anything.”

“How did you dial the Q?”

“Q is between P and R so I pressed the PRS key.”