I don’t know about anybody else…

Cidu Bill on Jan 6th 2013

blueeyes.gif
…but before I scrolled down far enough to see the
police car, I was expecting to see Sweet Judy

Filed in Argyle Sweater, Bill Bickel, Scott Hilburn, comic strips, comics, humor | 30 responses so far

30 Responses to “I don’t know about anybody else…”

1. Lisah Jan 6th 2013 at 08:40 am 1

Ah, but that would have landed you square in the ‘geezer’ category…

2. Powers Jan 6th 2013 at 09:16 am 2

WHO?

3. chuckers Jan 6th 2013 at 09:24 am 3

Raggedy Ann is leaning a bit towards geezer category unless there are some more recent pop culture influences I am missing (which is entirely possible.)

4. Keera Jan 6th 2013 at 10:05 am 4

I have no idea who Sweet Judy is. My Raggedy Ann doll is leaning casually back, staring at the ceiling, both black eyes still intact (barely).

5. mitch4 Jan 6th 2013 at 10:13 am 5

I think the allusion is to “Sweet Judy Blue Eyes”, a song title from CSNY (or subset thereof).

6. phaedrus Jan 6th 2013 at 10:22 am 6

Except it’s “Suite” Judy Blue Eyes. (proudly wearing geezer button)

7. Frosted Donut Jan 6th 2013 at 10:27 am 7

8. mitch4 Jan 6th 2013 at 10:37 am 8

Oh, right! Thanks for the correction. I was always unsure what made it a suite, and assumed there was intentional wordplay on ’sweet’. And apparently my memory just pasted that right in!

9. Elyrest Jan 6th 2013 at 11:12 am 9

I love Suite: Judy Blues, but my mind would never go there with this comic. Judy already has blue eyes and you need a character who wants those blue eyes - Raggedy Ann. I don’t think you can say Raggedy Ann is geezerish though because she was already “old” when I was a kid - almost 100 now. I had a Raggedy Ann and an Andy too. They always creeped me out a little though - mainly because of their eyes.

mitch4 - You and Bill aren’t the only ones who think/thought the word was sweet, rather than suite. I’m betting anyone who heard the song, but didn’t own the album, thought that. Suite: Judy Blues was written by Steven Stills about Judy Collins - who he was involved with at the time. I’m sure that Steven did think Judy was sweet - that’s why he wrote his suite.

10. Judge Mental Jan 6th 2013 at 11:22 am 10

I have no idea as to who “Sweet Judy” is, but am well familiar with the CSNY tune “Suite: Judy Blue Eyes”. I am dubious this is the reference that Bill was making. I have to think there has to be some other literary/pop culture figure called “Sweet Judy”

Ignoring the obvious phrase mangling to come up with the name, how could one “expect to see Sweet Judy”? That is, what would the physical manifestation of this imaginary person be and how would we expect Hilburn to represent her so readers would recognizer her as as such? There is no reference to Judy’s appearance in the song lyrics. “Suite: Judy Blue Eyes” is from the debut album from CSNY, which simply has a picture of the band on the cover. I guess the comic could have had a picture of a generic looking girl wearing a T-Shirt saying “Sweet Judy”, but it just seems strange that Bill would have expected that.

Or perhaps I am just over-thinking it. If I had been under the assumption it had been “Sweet” instead of “Suite:” for all these years, perhaps that would have been the first place my brain took me also.

11. Elyrest Jan 6th 2013 at 11:42 am 11

Judge Mental - I think you are over-thinking it, but only Bill can tell us if he had a different Judy in mind. You also explained quite well why “Sweet Judy” wouldn’t have worked in the comic.

Apologies for the incorrect spelling of Stephen Stills first name.

12. Bob in Nashville Jan 6th 2013 at 12:34 pm 12

Thanks for the link, Donut. Always loved that song, but never did know the title or artist.

13. Paperboy Jan 6th 2013 at 01:37 pm 13

I was expecting Crystal Gayle.

14. James Schend Jan 6th 2013 at 01:38 pm 14

No geezer tag on that? I guess the comic isn’t geezer, just the commentary. (Sorry.)

15. Elyrest Jan 6th 2013 at 01:56 pm 15

For some reason Crystal Gayle and “Don’t It Make My Brown Eyes Blue” (1977) feels geezerish , but “Suite: Judy Blue Eyes” and Crosby, Stills and Nash (1969) doesn’t. I think it goes back to 1978 and being in the car with my Mom, two aunts, and an uncle when Crystal Gayle came on the radio and every one of them broke out in song. This would never have happened with any song from Crosby, Stills and Nash.

16. NoAlias Jan 6th 2013 at 02:32 pm 16

If I was going to think ’songs’, I’d certainly be with Paperboy and Crystal Gayle. Judy already has/had blue eyes and Crystal wanted some.

17. Cidu Bill Jan 6th 2013 at 02:52 pm 17

Of course I know it’s “suite” and not “sweet”: but that didn’t keep me from guessing that Hilburn was going to go there.

And NoAlias, great point.

18. Mark in Boston Jan 6th 2013 at 04:53 pm 18

And I always thought Alice Cooper’s “Unfinished Suite” was something like two and a half movements of a planned four-movement work, like Shubert’s Unfinished Symphony.

Until I saw him perform it on TV. It’s “Unfinished Sweet” and it’s about more work for the dentist.

19. Mark in Boston Jan 6th 2013 at 04:54 pm 19

So what about “Suite: Georgia Brown”?

20. Mary in Ohio Jan 6th 2013 at 05:31 pm 20

Strange Synchronicity: There was also a Judy Collins link in Comic Strip of the Day earlier this week.

21. Lost in A**2 Jan 6th 2013 at 06:00 pm 21

(I had the impression that Ms. Gayle had but did not want blue eyes.)

22. pepperjackcandy Jan 7th 2013 at 05:30 am 22

I guess I don’t pass the “geezer” test today, since I translated “CSNY” as something about a symphony in New York. “City Symphony of New York,” maybe?

23. The Bad Seed Jan 7th 2013 at 07:20 am 23

Crystal’s brown eyes are blues because she’s sad:
    “I don’t know when I’ve been so blue
    Don’t know what’s come over you
    You’ve found someone new
    And don’t it make my brown eyes blue.”

24. Powers Jan 7th 2013 at 08:24 am 24

I am a moderate fan of Crosby Stills Nash (& sometimes Young), and am familiar with that song, but never knew its name.

But gosh, isn’t a 98-year-old doll a more geezerish reference than a popular song from 1969?

Powers &8^]

25. John Small Berries Jan 7th 2013 at 10:04 am 25

If the doll was only made 98 years ago, sure, but it’s still in production today (according to Wikipedia).

26. Pinny Jan 7th 2013 at 02:28 pm 26

Coulda also been a Frank Sinatra joke. Just sayin’.

27. Pinny Jan 7th 2013 at 05:17 pm 27

This comic and discussion has given me an earworm that I must share if I have any hope of exorcising it:

“Blue eyes smiling at me,
    Nothing but blue eyes do I see…”

28. Elyrest Jan 7th 2013 at 05:33 pm 28

Pinny - There’s also:

“No one knows what it’s like To be the bad man
    To be the sad man Behind blue eyes”

29. Cidu Bill Jan 7th 2013 at 06:10 pm 29

Thanks, Pinny. Now *I* have to go listen to the *real* “Blue Skies”!

30. Nitric Acid Jan 8th 2013 at 12:39 pm 30

Would you prefer, “Blue hairs driving, in my lane….”?