An LOL and a Question

Cidu Bill on Jan 6th 2013

Submitted by both Chak Olate and Morris Keesan:

pooh.gif

Okay, here’s what I’ve always wondered: how did it get so firmly standardized that monkeys throw “poo,” rather than any other euphemism? Now granted there aren’t that many socially-acceptable euphemisms, but still… it’s always “monkeys” and “poo.” Nobody ever talks about “elephant poo,” after all, at least not as uniformly. Is it that simian excrement is somehow inherently cuter?

Filed in Bill Bickel, Brevity, Comics That Made Us Laugh Out Loud, Guy & Rodd & Dan, Winnie the Pooh, comic strips, comics, humor, lol, monkeys | 18 responses so far

18 Responses to “An LOL and a Question”

1. Elyrest Jan 6th 2013 at 12:43 pm 1

I’ve never used the phrase “monkey poo” myself, but I wouldn’t mind it being thrown at me if it was cute little Poohs.

2. Chakolate Jan 6th 2013 at 12:45 pm 2

I’ve also heard ‘monkeys throwing feces’, but you’re right, I haven’t heard any of the other slang terms.

3. Chakolate Jan 6th 2013 at 12:45 pm 3

Forgot to subscribe.

4. DemetriosX Jan 6th 2013 at 01:31 pm 4

I think I’ve heard most of the usual euphemisms and four-letter words for what monkeys fling, not just poo. I’ve even seen it myself with the gorillas (who are apes, not monkeys, but it’s the same idea) at the San Diego Zoo. But the reason you mostly hear it in conjunction with monkeys is that they do have a habit of flinging it around. That also makes it an appropriate metaphor for a lot of situations from politics to message boards, so naturally you hear it a lot. Some zoos compost their herbivore excrement and sell it as fertilizer, and that is often described by a specific animal, frequently elephants, since they produce more than most.

That said, “poo” seems to be the standard term in Britain these days, while I think “poop” is more standard in the US. I’ve encountered it in an awful lot of British books in the last couple of years, from Pratchett to Aaronovitch to Haddon. Must make classic children’s lit of the early 20th century and its later Disneyfication problematic for parents. But then that brings us back around to the comic.

5. Paperboy Jan 6th 2013 at 01:34 pm 5

The funniest part is that the guy seems disappointed it wasn’t feces.

6. Jen Jan 6th 2013 at 01:43 pm 6

I would say the popularity of the use of the specific word “poo” in these instances stems from the Madagascar movies.

7. Mark M Jan 6th 2013 at 01:59 pm 7

I think it’s just the most acceptable term that doesn’t offend very many. I suppose doo doo is a little too cutesy.

8. Treesong Jan 6th 2013 at 02:24 pm 8

Monkey fling monkey doo.

9. NoAlias Jan 6th 2013 at 02:29 pm 9

Wasn’t there some kind of federally funded art exhibit that was ‘paintings’ created by monkeys flinging pooh?

10. Paperboy Jan 6th 2013 at 03:28 pm 10

No, NoAlias; they just looked like they were.

11. yellojkt Jan 6th 2013 at 07:57 pm 11

The National Zoo in DC sells ZooDoo to gardeners.

12. Proginoskes Jan 7th 2013 at 04:04 am 12

“How did it get so firmly standardized that monkeys throw “poo” ?”

Because it’s hard to throw urine.

13. The Bad Seed Jan 7th 2013 at 07:11 am 13

14. Ooten Aboot Jan 7th 2013 at 08:08 am 14

Didn’t Harry Truman say that monkeys throw “manure”?

15. John Small Berries Jan 7th 2013 at 10:12 am 15

I follow quite a number of Brits on my Twitter feed, and they uniformly use “poo” (as both a noun and a verb) when trying to avoid the four- (or five-) letter synonym, regardless of the species producing the feculence.

Well, those who mention that sort of thing, at least.

16. Keera Jan 7th 2013 at 10:53 am 16

Good one, Treesong @8! You made my inner 10-year-old laugh.

17. mitch4 Jan 7th 2013 at 05:20 pm 17

In connection with elephants, I’m most familiar with the count noun “turds”. But maybe because that was our regional term for round traffic bumps.

18. Lola Jan 7th 2013 at 07:17 pm 18

OK, this thread has gotten this old joke stuck in my head. You need to read it with an Irish accent.

Why does Irish bean soup have exactly 239 beans in it? Because one more and it’s 240.