Saturday Afternoon CIDEwww

Cidu Bill on Jan 5th 2013

snow.png

Okay, I’m not sure exactly what he’s getting at… but I can think of several options, and none of them are good.

Filed in Arlo and Janis, Bill Bickel, CIDU, Ewww, Jimmy Johnson, comic strips, comics, humor | 25 responses so far

25 Responses to “Saturday Afternoon CIDEwww”

1. John DiFool Jan 5th 2013 at 12:06 pm 1

Don’t eat the yellow snow.

2. Elyrest Jan 5th 2013 at 12:07 pm 2

I think Arlo worried about yellow snow. Especially yellow snow that you can’t see because it’s covered up by freshly fallen snow.

3. JoeGrunt Jan 5th 2013 at 12:21 pm 3

Alternatively, Luddie could be sniffing out tunnels in the snow left by mice or moles. If so, Arlo doesn’t want the other objects left by the critters.

4. Dr. Shrinker Jan 5th 2013 at 12:56 pm 4

Is snow + milk + chocolate syrup what he calls “snow ice cream”? Bleah. I don’t think I know a single adult who would want to eat snow off the ground, whether or not you actually saw a cat poop in it.

5. Elyrest Jan 5th 2013 at 01:25 pm 5

Dr. Shrinker - I WANT to eat snow off the ground every winter. I don’t do it because I know too much.

6. zookeeper Jan 5th 2013 at 01:52 pm 6

Just the potential ruins the magic of it.

7. Bob in Nashville Jan 5th 2013 at 01:56 pm 7

Chocolate syrup? I thought it was vanilla extract.

8. Marshal Jan 5th 2013 at 01:58 pm 8

We usually put a plate or bowl out to catch the snow for snow ice cream.
    We never took it off the ground.

I believe Mom used cream and not milk.

9. Judge Mental Jan 5th 2013 at 02:33 pm 9

I thought this was an obvious “don’t eat yellow snow” joke. I am curious as what the several other options might be.

Oh, and when I was a kid, we called this “snow cream”, not “snow ice cream”, though that might be a colloquialism.

10. Bookworm Jan 5th 2013 at 04:16 pm 10

We always scraped the top layer off the picnic table during or immediately after the snowfall, and felt pretty safe doing it. And I lived in Tennessee, too, Bob, and it was vanilla!

11. Harold Jan 5th 2013 at 08:48 pm 11

Why is he wearing a bowl on his head?

12. Ian Osmond Jan 5th 2013 at 11:24 pm 12

I don’t think he’s pointing at anything. I think he’s tossing the bowl that he absolutely did NOT fill with snow on the counter.

13. Ian Osmond Jan 5th 2013 at 11:26 pm 13

Oh, I thought you said “pointing at”, not “getting at”. I think it’s simply, “Oh, right. Ludwig is an indoor/outdoor cat, which means that we are scooping up snow from his litter box.”

Ludwig’s motions are pretty much “cat burying stuff” motions.

14. mitch4 Jan 6th 2013 at 01:28 am 14

Right, t does look like a bowl on his head, in the last panel. But in the one before, it’s reasonably like a hat.

15. Proginoskes Jan 6th 2013 at 03:37 am 15

WATCH OUT WHERE THE HUSKIES GO, AND DON’T YOU EAT THAT YELLOW SNOW!
    WATCH OUT WHERE THE HUSKIES GO, AND DON’T YOU EAT THAT YELLOW SNOW!

16. yellojkt Jan 6th 2013 at 08:43 am 16

Arlo is more worried about the mix-ins. Think the sand box.

17. Powers Jan 6th 2013 at 09:21 am 17

I thought “snow ice cream” was using the snow to freeze the cream. I didn’t think it involved actually eating the snow, any more than making regular ice cream involves eating ice.

18. Elyrest Jan 6th 2013 at 11:23 am 18

Powers - Although the name “ice cream” likely came from “iced cream” - meaning you used ice to change the creamy milk into a different substance - with snow ice cream, or snow cream, you do eat the snow. Think of it a little like a snow cone. I never made snow cream, but I did put fruit juice on the snow and eat it.

19. Chakolate Jan 6th 2013 at 12:37 pm 19

It could be anything - if I saw a cat walking across my plate I’d lose my appetite. I’ve seen my cats digging around in the litter box too often.

20. Ted in Fort Lauderdale Jan 6th 2013 at 03:24 pm 20

I have _very_ limited experience with snow, but a fair amount of experience with the outdoors, and there’s really _nothing_ from there that I think I’d be willing to eat without washing it first - which I don’t think would work well with snow. Even ignoring dogs and cats, there are lots of wild critters and birds - and just general dirt and such - that would seem to make it less than completely desirable. Even if you scrape off the top layer, who knows what was going on with the next layer down…

21. Elyrest Jan 6th 2013 at 03:31 pm 21

Ted in FL - Freshly fallen snow is very unlikely to have anything in it from critters and birds. (We are going to ignore particulates from the air here.) Bugs aren’t a factor in the winter cold and there aren’t all that many birds flying over. Now after the snow sits a bit then you can worry.

22. Ted in Fort Lauderdale Jan 6th 2013 at 06:35 pm 22

Elyrest - As with an earlier issue, I defer to your greater knowledge of the subject - my familiarity with snow matters is really quite minimal. Earlier today, I was having beverages while sitting on the dock at a bar, watching yachts go by on the Intracoastal, wearing shorts and a t shirt (and being thankful for the slight breeze - it was a little too warm) but bugs, birds, and other critters definitely could be factors - for better or worse, that is the “winter” that I am familiar with…

23. Elyrest Jan 6th 2013 at 07:04 pm 23

Ted in Fort Lauderdale - So……..very………mean! I’d trade you my snowy knowledge for a few days sitting on a dock watching anything go by. As far as bugs right now - I threw a stinkbug out my bedroom window yesterday. I saw him this morning on the garage roof dead as a doornail.

24. Morris Keesan Jan 7th 2013 at 08:31 am 24

Cream? Feh! Freshly fallen snow and maple syrup (preferably the darkest grade of syrup available — none of that wimpy “grade A” stuff). Any time there’s a snowfall, my son starts asking for maple snow.

25. Ted in Fort Lauderdale Jan 7th 2013 at 10:03 am 25

Elyrest - I’m quite sure that we’d be happy to have you - that’s a good chunk of what drives our economy. OTOH, out near the beach over the weekend, we _did_ need to put up with large numbers of rather loud, fairly intoxicated, and extremely pink Alabama and Notre Dame fans. I guess you pays your money and you picks your poison…