Wolves

Cidu Bill on Jan 4th 2013

wolves.jpg

Ed sent me this CIDU, from Cats With Hands.

When you visit the Cats with Hands web site, you’re greeted by a loud “Meow.” This is easily one of the most obnoxious things I’ve encountered on any web site in quite a long wile.

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Cats With Hands, comic strips, comics, humor | 19 responses so far

19 Responses to “Wolves”

1. James Schend Jan 4th 2013 at 12:40 am 1

Cats With Hands on the Worldwide Web.

It looks like that website entered the stasis chamber around 1997.

2. Lola Jan 4th 2013 at 12:40 am 2

Sudden urge to howl in frustration….but what does it mean?

Best guess, it’s like a chicken house, CAFO, etc. Meat farming?

3. Lola Jan 4th 2013 at 12:41 am 3

oh, and not amusing, not funny, not even clever.

4. AMC Jan 4th 2013 at 01:35 am 4

That’s just flocked up.

5. minorannoyance Jan 4th 2013 at 02:44 am 5

I’m fond of the Joe Martin strips (Mr. Boffo, Willie ‘n Ethel, Cats With Hands), even when he’s more shaggy than here’s-a-facile-gag funny.

This one feels like a twist on “raised by wolves” (usually a comment on somebody’s lack of social graces), and/or a riff on the slogan “Made by Americans for Americans”.

Maybe it’s just the whole idea of a wolf as a shepherd (the sign being necessary to explain that’s what we’re looking at). To some extent a shepherd and a wolf have the same ultimate interest in sheep; so there’s comic logic as well as irony in anthropomorphic wolves going legit to secure their own mutton, protecting their flock from predators like themselves.

6. Kilby Jan 4th 2013 at 03:04 am 6

I avoid any website that inflicts sound effects or background music on unsuspecting visitors. Even if they offer a mute button (not all of them do), it’s still an exceptionally rude practice.

P.S. As for this cartoon, it’s a logical mass-market escalation of the “wolf in sheep’s clothing”.

7. Kilby Jan 4th 2013 at 03:06 am 7

P.P.S. Forgot to refresh before posting, minorannoyance did it @5 better than my P.S. @6.

8. The Bad Seed Jan 4th 2013 at 10:11 am 8

Reminded me of the clothing line FUBU, which stands for “For Us, By Us”, especially since the wolf’s wearing a hoodie. ;)

9. Kamino Neko Jan 4th 2013 at 11:17 am 9

It’s called Cats With Hands?

Should be scarier than that…

10. Elyrest Jan 4th 2013 at 12:47 pm 10

I don’t get any “Meow” when I go to the Cats With Hands site, but I’ve got a script blocker. If you don’t like like animation or sound effects starting when you click on a site, No Script is wonderful. It does have to be configured for your preferences and there is a learning curve, but once you’re over that hump it makes sites much friendlier to deal with. It’s Open Source software too and updates on a regular basis. I highly recommend it.

11. Keera Jan 4th 2013 at 02:20 pm 11

Ooh, thanks, Kamino Neko! I really enjoyed that little movie!

12. Kevin A. Jan 4th 2013 at 03:18 pm 12

This was my favorite on a TV special yesterday (on some cable station) about which the show’s audience thought were the funniest commercials of 2012:
    Cravendale - Cats with Thumbs

13. zookeeper Jan 4th 2013 at 06:06 pm 13

spooky kitty, Kamino Neko.

14. Boise Ed Jan 4th 2013 at 06:30 pm 14

Elyrest, I have just the opposite. My AppleScript turns off the sound first. In fact, I’d forgotten that the site did that cute-once-but-then-annoying “meow.” … But the reason I sent the comic to CIDU was not that. It was the wolf acting as shepherd, apparently not tempted by all the lamb and mutton meat in front of him. So he’s just a sheep farmer, raising sheep for the rest of the vulpine community? CwH is usually somewhat funny, but this one left me scratching my head.

15. turquoisecow Jan 4th 2013 at 08:27 pm 15

That’s not even a very realistic “Meow.”

16. Carl Jan 4th 2013 at 11:35 pm 16

@Ed, “vulpine” means “relating to foxes”. You meant “lupine”.

17. Boise Ed Jan 5th 2013 at 11:46 am 17

You’re right and I did. Gulp.

18. carrot Jan 12th 2013 at 05:14 am 18

“made by americans for americans”

ed, do peach farmers eat all the peaches?

19. Boise Ed Jan 17th 2013 at 01:41 am 19

No, but I’ll bet every peach farmer (excluding Big Agribusiness) eats some of them. But to your actual point, I suppose that if you postulate a lupine society, there might be ranchers raising foodstuffs for that society, just as in our own society.