Frosty

Cidu Bill on Jan 3rd 2013

Morris Keesan: Either a nicely done homage to Calvin and Hobbes, or else a sign that Wiley has no sense of comics history:

frosty-nonsquitur.jpg

Filed in Bill Bickel, Calvin and Hobbes, Non Sequitur, Wiley Miller, comic strips, comics, humor | 18 responses so far

18 Responses to “Frosty”

1. Skaloop Jan 3rd 2013 at 12:48 pm 1

It certainly has a C & H feel to it in terms of panel layout and how the trees look (unless that’s Wiley’s usual style) in addition to the creepy snow sculpture part. But either way, I highly doubt any comic writer working today is ignorant of Watterson’s work. That’d be like a professional musician not knowing who The Beatles are.

If it is an homage, I like that it wasn’t too forced by, say, giving her a red and black striped coat.

2. BERBER Jan 3rd 2013 at 12:49 pm 2

What was the first clue that Wiley “leveraged” C&H? The talking horse?

3. Chakolate Jan 3rd 2013 at 01:03 pm 3

Note the italicized ‘literary’. Definitely an homage.

4. AMC Jan 3rd 2013 at 01:42 pm 4

I wonder if that snake is suffering from a brain freeze.

5. James Pollock Jan 3rd 2013 at 03:50 pm 5

“I wonder if that snake is suffering from a brain freeze.”
    No. Snakes are cold-blooded. This guys just a little bit colder than most.

6. paperboy Jan 3rd 2013 at 04:06 pm 6

And the comic is from 2008; does he re-run it every year?

7. Carl Jan 3rd 2013 at 07:38 pm 7

I was more reminded of the Fox Trot sequences in which Jason makes elaborate, enormous snow-creatures. I love C&H but Watterson did not invent the trope.

8. Mark in Boston Jan 3rd 2013 at 08:54 pm 8

I remember a Peanuts cartoon from the 1950’s where Charlie Brown walks through town complaining that all the snowmen are trite and boring. He gets home and builds a snow sculpture in the style of Henry Moore.

9. Elyrest Jan 3rd 2013 at 10:50 pm 9

Mark in Boston - I remember that Peanuts! I didn’t understand it as a kid, but I appreciated Schulz somewhat daring take on abstract art in the funny pages.

10. Kilby Jan 4th 2013 at 01:07 am 10

@ paperboy (6) - There has been a large number of CIDU items from 2008 over the course of the last year. I think if they were reruns, then the dates would have been more spread around, my assumption is that they come from an archive of old CIDU submissions, but Bill has never responded one way or the other on any of the (numerous) times that the subject has come up.

11. CIDU Bill Jan 4th 2013 at 02:48 am 11

Actually I have, Kilby. And the answer is, except for a bunch of old comics I came across and used about a year ago, there is no secret cache. Most of the older comics I’ve been using were sent to me, and I don’t know whether they’re mostly “reruns,” or stuff they had lying around somewhere for some reason.

12. Kilby Jan 4th 2013 at 04:16 am 12

@ Bill - Sorry, I didn’t mean to make it sound like an accusation, I was mostly just amused by the coincidence that so many of these older items all came from 2008 (a bunch of them were from XKCD, which are tricky to pin down accurately, since the originals are numbered, but never dated).

I wish the syndicates would leave the original copyright date on the comic when they recycle “classic” stuff.

13. Powers Jan 4th 2013 at 07:23 am 13

2008 copyright date or not, this is the Non Sequitur that appeared in the Dec. 30, 2012, newspapers. Dec. 30, 2008, was not a Sunday, so it’s a little odd.

14. DemetriosX Jan 4th 2013 at 07:30 am 14

Re: reruns
    This was last Sunday’s strip. Apparently Non Sequitur was in reruns all of Christmas week (at least according to a comment from Wiley at GoComics), so this one isn’t the result of Bill cleaning out his files or anything. Just the cartoonist taking a week off and the syndicate going with something appropriate to the season.

Charles Addams also used various snowman jokes, which may have had an influence on Watterson and all of his successors.

15. James Pollock Jan 4th 2013 at 03:47 pm 15

Trudeau introduced the concept of cartoonists taking vacations, and the practice seems to have caught on.

It doesn’t seem to matter here, but under current copyright law, a work is copyrighted when it is created, not when it is published.

16. Howard Jan 4th 2013 at 05:29 pm 16

Funny, all I can see is a hat. What imaginations kids have.

17. Bob in Nashville Jan 5th 2013 at 10:10 am 17

I’m drawing a blank on that little girl’s name, but that is definitely the way she thinks. The thought of her getting together with Calvin should frighten someone somewhere.

LOL for me on this one.