Another Arlo Award For Arlo

Cidu Bill on Jan 3rd 2013

(submitted by Terry and Usual John)

arlo.gif

Filed in Arlo Award, Arlo and Janis, Bill Bickel, Jimmy Johnson, comic strips, comics, humor | 30 responses so far

30 Responses to “Another Arlo Award For Arlo”

1. Ooten Aboot Jan 3rd 2013 at 07:59 am 1

It is, as one of my daughters puts it, “nipply” (concocted from nipple and nippy) out there. If I were Janis (which would require drastic surgery) I’d let Arlo get his own d**n paper, and read mine online.

2. Elyrest Jan 3rd 2013 at 08:35 am 2

Just knew that this one would show up here. Happens to me when I sneeze.

3. Kilby Jan 3rd 2013 at 08:55 am 3

Why didn’t Janis simply open and start reading the paper as soon as she closed the door, before passing the table?

P.S. This comic reminded me of an item that made the e-mail rounds a while back, depicting the “best job in the world”: nipple tweaker while filming a J-Lo video. After some consideration, I decided not to post a link here, although I don’t think there’s anything NSFW about it. Use your own judgement.

4. Morris Keesan Jan 3rd 2013 at 09:35 am 4

Elyrest, you show up here when you sneeze??

(I also knew the comic would get here, so I didn’t bother submitting it.)

5. Keera Jan 3rd 2013 at 11:03 am 5

Elyrest, you may not be aware how TMI that admission is: Sneezes are related to orgasms. ;-)

6. Dr. Shrinker Jan 3rd 2013 at 02:53 pm 6

I understand that “highbeams” refers to erect nipples, and that it’s cold outside. But what does her statement mean?

7. Morris Keesan Jan 3rd 2013 at 03:01 pm 7

Her statement means that she got him to stop using the expression. She “broke” him the way you housebreak a kitten, or the way you “break” a horse (if you’re not whispering to it).

8. James Pollock Jan 3rd 2013 at 03:52 pm 8

Maybe not quite the same way. You break a horse by climbing on top of it and staying there until it calms down.

9. paperboy Jan 3rd 2013 at 04:11 pm 9

“I have an orgasm every time I sneeze.” “What are you taking for it?” “Pepper!”

10. Mike Jan 3rd 2013 at 07:12 pm 10

As Cidu Bill asked on the other Arlo post, is there any conceivable non-Arlo way in which this comic makes sense?

11. Elyrest Jan 3rd 2013 at 07:27 pm 11

I’m not sure who to respond to first. If I put it all together it might mean I show up here when I have an orgasm, but that only happens after eating too much pepper which causes me to sneeze. And James Pollack, when someone climbs on top of me and stays there, calming down is usually the last thing on my mind! Now that’s TMI, Keera!

I’m off to find the pepper grinder. ;-)

12. Cidu Bill Jan 3rd 2013 at 07:53 pm 12

Okay, now I have to figure out how to “Arlo” a whole thread…

13. Mark in Boston Jan 3rd 2013 at 08:58 pm 13

Sort of like the apocryphal story of Harry Truman giving a speech to a group of farmers, saying how the most important thing for good crops was manure, manure and more manure. A woman said to Mrs. Truman, “Can’t you get your husband to stop saying ‘manure’?” She replied, “It took me long enough to get him to say ‘manure’.”

14. AMC Jan 4th 2013 at 01:19 am 14

How can a hungry man not smile when the turkey’s done?

15. Proginoskes Jan 4th 2013 at 02:54 am 15

@ James Pollock: Or, if you’re heavy enough, you break a horse just by climbing on top of it.

16. Keera Jan 4th 2013 at 04:27 am 16

Threads like this is why I hang out here. :-D

17. FrankTheCurmdgeon Jan 4th 2013 at 04:44 am 17

Speaking of high beams - Is there any other purpose / use for those circular BANDAIDS that the fifty year s ago women wore when going sans brassiere ?

18. Keera Jan 4th 2013 at 04:46 am 18

Frank @17: Why, yes, I recently used those on a knuckle cut. Perfect fit.

19. Kilby Jan 4th 2013 at 04:54 am 19

I recall a semi-serious conversation about automobiles that derailed entirely when one participant offered the opinion, “I like cars that make girls in tight jeans sneeze.” (That’s not an exact quote, but you get the idea.) He later explained that he was referring to acceleration; sadly, he missed the opportunity to refer to “G forces”.

20. Ooten Aboot Jan 4th 2013 at 07:02 am 20

Mark in Boston, the way I heard the story, it was the Trumans’ daughter Margaret (then in her twenties) who asked, “Mother, can’t you get Father to say ‘fertilizer” instead of ‘manure’?” and Bess replied, “Darling, it’s taken me thirty years to get him to say ‘manure’.”

21. Kamino Neko Jan 4th 2013 at 07:56 am 21

Frank - it also cuts down on chaffing from rubbing against the top.

22. Morris Keesan Jan 4th 2013 at 08:47 am 22

Keera #16, I think you mean, “Threads like this are why I hang out here.”

Frank the Curmudgeon #17: Yes, I use those little circular bandages frequently, for small cuts. I find them much more convenient than the larger strips.

23. The Bad Seed Jan 4th 2013 at 10:25 am 23

Janis’ comment about breaking Arlo of that habit defiitely reminded me of breaking a dog of a bad habit like chewing on shoes… And I imagine the rolled-up newspaper as reinforcement of that!

24. Cidu Bill Jan 4th 2013 at 11:30 am 24

Except she didn’t smack him on the snout, Bad Seed.

25. Elyrest Jan 4th 2013 at 12:21 pm 25

No, Bill. Janice most likely smacked him somewhere else that had a more lasting impact.

26. Elyrest Jan 4th 2013 at 12:31 pm 26

I use those little circular band-aids on small cuts too - especially on my hands. Because they don’t have an angled edge they tend to stay on better when your hands get wet. I honestly never thought to use them when I went bra-less in my younger years. I’m not really sure they would work all that well for that purpose - at least for me.

Keera- I stay for these kind of discussions too. Morris Keesan #22 is trying to throw grammar into the mix though - our grammar threads get a little heated.

Ooten Aboot #20 - Your Truman story sounds like the one I heard also. Harry Truman was known for his earthy language. He doesn’t look like it though when you see his picture.

27. James Pollock Jan 4th 2013 at 10:57 pm 27

“Except she didn’t smack him on the snout, Bad Seed.”
    Because, as she notes, he’s already trained. Or broken. One or the other.

28. James Pollock Jan 4th 2013 at 10:59 pm 28

Elyrest, I think you meant ARE grammar threads get a little heated.

29. Morris Keesan Jan 5th 2013 at 12:20 am 29

Elyrest: “these kind”? Really? “These kinds”, perhaps. Or, more likely, “this kind”.

James Pollock #28: No, that would be a spelling thread.
    (”T-H-R-E-A-D”.)

30. Kilby Jan 5th 2013 at 01:04 am 30

@ James Pollock (27) - The relevant adjective is (or used to be) “whipped” (I’ve omitted the customary adverb).