Déjà Cliff

Cidu Bill on Jan 1st 2013

dejacliff.gif

Nope, still no joke that I can see…

December 18, 2012:
cliff.gif

Am I missing a joke related to the fiscal cliff, or is this just a case of randomly replacing a word (cliff) with a phrase that’s currently in the news (fiscal cliff)?

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Close to Home, Jeff Stahler, John McPherson, Moderately Confused, comic strips, comics, humor | 23 responses so far

23 Responses to “Déjà Cliff”

1. Name (required) Dec 18th 2012 at 12:06 pm 1

I think it is pretty much the latter overlaid on the old inaccessible wise man routine.

2. J-L Dec 18th 2012 at 12:30 pm 2

I think you’re right, Bill, that this is just a case of randomly replacing a word with a phrase that’s currently in the news.

3. James Pollock Dec 18th 2012 at 12:31 pm 3

There’s also a reversal of perspective. All the talk about the “fiscal cliff” is worrying about falling off/over it. This guy is climbing up.

4. Daniel J. Drazen Dec 18th 2012 at 12:34 pm 4

OK, the term “fiscal cliff” has officially been overused.

5. zbicyclist Dec 18th 2012 at 12:49 pm 5

My friend Cliff says his “fiscal Cliff” is his kids hitting him up for money.

6. Scott Dec 18th 2012 at 01:09 pm 6

I think it might be more the case of finding a barely relevant caption for a drawing the artist already had. One would hope the caption would not have made it in a New Yorker contest.

7. Paperboy Dec 18th 2012 at 03:03 pm 7

With a lot of people still underwater, if we go over the fiscal cliff, many will have to take a hair-cut.

8. John Dec 18th 2012 at 03:24 pm 8

Putting a current, and over used, term into a cartoon - hilarity ensues.

Well….maybe not in this case.

9. Powers Dec 18th 2012 at 04:49 pm 9

It’s not a cliff. It’s more like a curb, and we can actually step back on it for some time after we step off.

10. James Pollock Dec 18th 2012 at 08:28 pm 10

Powers, are you applying cartoon physics to political metaphor?

11. Proginoskes Dec 19th 2012 at 02:35 am 11

The fiscal cliff is Congress’s last hissy fit before they get kicked out.

12. Ooten Aboot Dec 19th 2012 at 08:17 am 12

It’s a financial pun: instead of leaping off the fiscal cliff, the seeker of truth has climbed a physical cliff. If I had a nickel for every time I’ve heard “physical year” . . . .

13. Morris Keesan Dec 19th 2012 at 09:58 am 13

“This isn’t the cliff you’re looking for. Move along.”

14. Proginoskes Dec 20th 2012 at 04:39 am 14

“This isn’t the clif I’m looking for. I’ll move along.”

15. furrykef Jan 1st 2013 at 03:25 pm 15

That isn’t a fiscal cliff! It’s a physical cliff!

*runs*

16. AMC Jan 1st 2013 at 04:20 pm 16

Is this the CliffsNotes version?

17. Some Old Guy Jan 1st 2013 at 04:22 pm 17

If County Route 17 in Utah has any connection to a Tea Party Republican in the House, then the Close to Home might almost be legitimate political commentary, but I can’t interest myself enough to investigate.

18. Lola Jan 1st 2013 at 04:30 pm 18

Is that a human skull or head just to the right of the car?

19. Ron Jan 1st 2013 at 10:49 pm 19

Replacement caption for the first comic:
    “Boyd and Carl were driving down the information
    superhighway until they encountered the fiscal cliff.”

(Illustrate two inappropriate physical manifestations
    of metaphors instead of just one.)

20. DPWally Jan 2nd 2013 at 02:15 pm 20

Initially I had trouble with the first one. Why are they leaping a canyon? Why does the road not line up? Is that supposed to be a political metaphor?

The cartoonist needs help with perspective. Or I do.

21. James Pollock Jan 2nd 2013 at 04:06 pm 21

Actually, the newer one kind of reminds me of the truck commercial that has been airing during football games lately, where they indicate the increased fuel efficiency of their product by suggesting that places are actually getting closer together, as illustrated by a giant crack appearing in the ground, and the two sides crashing together just as the truck reaches it. If you’ve been watching football for the last month, you know the commercial I mean.

22. DPWally Jan 2nd 2013 at 05:15 pm 22

James P #21: I haven’t seen it, but I think I get their approach.

Now fuel efficiency is MANLY. It’s not about doing what the wifey says you should do, it’s about forcefully rearranging your environment to suit your needs.

23. James Pollock Jan 3rd 2013 at 03:59 pm 23

DPWally, watch some football this weekend. You’ll see it.