Cidu Bill on Dec 30th 2012

nye.jpg

I firmly believe that he draws these a year ahead, on the previous New Year’s Eve, after too many drinks, so they make perfect sense to him at the time.

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Jump Start, New Year's Eve, Robb Armstrong, comic strips, comics, humor | 10 responses so far

10 Responses to “It’s a New Year’s Eve tradition: Armstrong posts one of these Earth-sun-moon strips, and I upload it to the CIDU page because I don’t know what the hell he’s trying to say.”

1. Richard Dec 30th 2012 at 11:26 pm 1

The strips are not funny, but neither are they mysterious. Armstrong is anthropomorphizing the Earth, the Moon and the Sun. He does this around New Year’s, because he consider’s that day to be the Earth’s birthday. I suppose Armstrong consider’s social media to be a current thing, so the Sun, Earth and Moonare into it. The Moon sent Earth a “Friend” request on Facebook, but Earth ignored it, having better things to do with all the humans who live on Earth, whom the Earth has friended. The Moon thinks Earth has a superior attitude, because the Earth ignored the Moon. The Moon looks to the Sun for support, the the Sun has no more room for Facebook Friends, so he offers to let the Moon communicate by Skype. This is supposed to be funny because of the anthropomorphizing, and because of the references to current digital age media. But I assume none of this is news to CIDU Bill. He just doesn’t understand why it is supposed to be funny.

2. chuckers Dec 30th 2012 at 11:27 pm 2

I dunno. I figure it makes about as much sense as most of the social network stuff it is referring to.

3. mitch4 Dec 31st 2012 at 02:39 am 3

I also was wondering if finding ’sky’ in ‘Skype’ was supposed to be part of the … joke?

4. Keera Dec 31st 2012 at 07:27 am 4

Astrology is one of my hobbies, and I found the clingy Moon and the self-contained Sun to be spot on.

5. Kilby Dec 31st 2012 at 08:29 am 5

I think mitch4 has it @3, other than the insubstantial reference to skype, there really isn’t anything here at all.

6. The Bad Seed Dec 31st 2012 at 09:29 am 6

Whether he was drunk or hung-over or sober, I can picture Armstrong hunched over his drawing board, scribbling frantically and uncontrollably chuckling out loud over how hilarious and clever this strip was. I’d like to give him the benefit of the doubt, and presume he didn’t go back and look at it again before submitting it, but a lot of comic strip authors seem to have a extraordinarily inflated view of how funny and clever and deep they are.

7. Powers Dec 31st 2012 at 12:40 pm 7

I was afraid I was the only one who thought the astronomy Jump Start strips fall flat. Because they almost always do.

8. Todd Dec 31st 2012 at 04:37 pm 8

Why would the sun be maxed on friends, but the moon wouldn’t be? I think it would be the other way around; you can’t look at the sun.

And Earth doesn’t have many true friends; most just want to use her.

9. mitch4 Dec 31st 2012 at 05:24 pm 9

“The moon’s an arrant thief, / And her pale fire she snatches from the sun”

10. Elyrest Dec 31st 2012 at 05:36 pm 10

Oh, mitch4! You sure do talk purty. Ahhhhhh……….