Because it might sort of sound a little like “For Pa”??

Cidu Bill on Dec 29th 2012

fauxpas.gif

Filed in B.C., Bill Bickel, CIDU, comic strips, comics, humor | 13 responses so far

13 Responses to “Because it might sort of sound a little like “For Pa”??”

1. Arthur Dec 29th 2012 at 04:59 pm 1

Because it might sort of sound a little like “For Pa”??

Yes. Not all of them are winners.

2. John Small Berries Dec 29th 2012 at 05:21 pm 2

Today I learned that cavemen spoke a non-rhotic dialect of English.

3. furrykef Dec 29th 2012 at 06:28 pm 3

Or maybe just Wiley does.

4. Jeff S. Dec 29th 2012 at 08:08 pm 4

This could be the lamest BC I’ve EVER read. It’s easily the lamest one I’ve seen here.

5. AMC Dec 29th 2012 at 08:33 pm 5

And “foam, other” is the little tag on your ma’s Christmas gift!

I could have been a cartoonist. . . . if only I could have drawn Binky, or that pirate.

6. Fred C. Dec 30th 2012 at 02:38 am 6

It irks me that I know that the name—the name!—of the character reading the dictionary is “Fat Broad.”

7. Ooten Aboot Dec 30th 2012 at 09:38 am 7

It all depends on the accent. The joke, albeit weak, is in the ear of the hearer.

8. thwgt Dec 30th 2012 at 11:17 am 8

Would have worked better if the second panel text had been “The little tag on yo’ father’s Christmas gift.”

9. padraig Dec 30th 2012 at 02:31 pm 9

Also, faintly racist, since it would be written “fo’ Pa” in ethnic jokes. Or at least regionalist.

10. Ian Osmond Dec 30th 2012 at 07:20 pm 10

Padraig: I didn’t hear it as racist, because I’m a Bostonian. I also had no trouble understanding it, and even thought it was vaguely funny, because, to my ear, they DO sound the same.

Did I ever mention that I got in trouble once for sassing my teacher on a spelling test, back in elementary school? It was an honest mistake, though. She asked us to spell “career” (a word I still have trouble with, actually). I wrote down “Korea.”

Not a joke — actually happened. Well, okay, I didn’t get in trouble. But I did get the word marked wrong.

11. Proginoskes Dec 31st 2012 at 04:16 am 11

@ Ian Osmond: I heard it as racist. You might not have because you talk funny (like all northeasterners).

12. padraig Dec 31st 2012 at 11:54 am 12

See, Proggy, there’s that nasty regionalist streak of yours again….

13. Morris Keesan Jan 1st 2013 at 09:46 pm 13

I’m also a Bostonian, and I grew up in the city of Boston (and I now live down the street from Ian’s childhood home), and “faux” and “for” do not sound the same to me. “Faux” sounds like “foe”, but the silent ‘r’ in “for” changes the sound of the vowel, and the two ‘o’ sounds are not the same. At least not in the Dorchester dialect that I grew up with, nor the Arlington dialect that now surrounds me.