We Wish You a Merry Arlo

Cidu Bill on Dec 26th 2012

When I checked my inbox this morning, four people had already nominated this for the Arlo Award:

arloarlo.gif

Filed in Arlo Award, Arlo and Janis, Bill Bickel, Jimmy Johnson, comic strips, comics, humor | 18 responses so far

18 Responses to “We Wish You a Merry Arlo”

1. Larry Lunts Dec 26th 2012 at 09:43 pm 1

Obviously, some sort of unspecified sex act.

2. Taigan Dec 26th 2012 at 09:53 pm 2

…or sex with a different partner.

3. Paperboy Dec 26th 2012 at 10:13 pm 3

…or both.

4. yellojkt Dec 27th 2012 at 01:00 am 4

Deny it all you want, it’s strips like this that the Arlo Award was named for.

5. Kilby Dec 27th 2012 at 02:16 am 5

The classy thing about this strip is that it is totally innocuous if you don’t know the relevant background and the characters. A pre-teen would dismiss it as “just another non-funny comic”. There’s nothing to censor here, the “Arlo” activity is entirely in the (experienced) reader’s head.

6. Ooten Aboot Dec 27th 2012 at 09:15 am 6

yellojkt, I pointed that out once and got shot down, so BANG!!!!!!!!

7. Mark M Dec 27th 2012 at 09:45 am 7

Seems like a bit of an overreaction.

8. heather Dec 27th 2012 at 12:10 pm 8

I’m with Taigan. I didn’t really ‘get it’ until I realized that Arlo was taking “different” to mean “different partner”. That’s the only thing that would get Janis upset after all. Once I realized that, it was quite funny.

9. Larry Lunts Dec 27th 2012 at 12:30 pm 9

“Different” wouldn’t necessarily mean another sex partner. It might mean a sexual act different from their usual smorgasboard. For instance, while a “BJ” might be Arlo’s annual Christmas treat; he might be hankering for a golden shower, rear-entry, a three-way, spankings, bra-swapping, or any number of other possible scenarios. Yeah. Okay.

Excuse me, but I have to be away, for the next 15 minutes or so.

10. mark d Dec 27th 2012 at 01:20 pm 10

I took “different” to mean different from sex. And when he says “welll,” she is offended because what more could you want or what could be better than sex with Janis. But the last 2 panels are meant tongue-in-cheek. They’re only kidding.

11. Francisco on the Prairie Dec 27th 2012 at 01:23 pm 11

If one thinks back a bit, one has an excellent candidate for the cause of Janis’ swing. Do y’all remember when Janis was fantasizing about some movie star (or big-name musician, but the key is “a totally inaccessible Paul Newman type”) and she prodded Arlo with “Oh, surely you have a fantasy. Who is it?” (a bad paraphrase, but you get the drift)? Arlo responded with the name of a neighbor; a gal altogether too accessible for Janis’ sensibilities.

Well, I’m just guessing, but . . .
    And it doesn’t matter whether Janis remembered the old fantasy or Arlo mentioned her again.

And that it epitomized the Arlo Award was the first thought to cross my mind when I saw that strip yesterday.

12. yellojkt Dec 27th 2012 at 05:58 pm 12

Larry,
    That is quite the shopping list you have there. I’m not even sure what some of those mean.

mark d,
    So by ‘tongue-in-cheek’ are you saying he is asking for some rimming?

13. Soup Dragon Dec 27th 2012 at 06:17 pm 13

Is that pillow female?

14. Mark in Boston Dec 27th 2012 at 07:44 pm 14

Well, she asked.

What did she expect?

15. Lost in A**2 Dec 27th 2012 at 07:53 pm 15

I don’t remember exactly when it was, but when he was feeling ‘blah’ she suggested he “should see someone.” He replied that he didn’t think it would help, but it was open-minded of her to make the suggestion. Then he said, “Oh. You mean like a psychiatrist.”

16. mark d Dec 27th 2012 at 08:24 pm 16

yellojkt@ #11: No, originally I didn’t mean rimming. But after I wrote it, I realized it could be taken that way, so I added the last “kidding” sentence to define “tongue-in-cheek.” I see the other interpretations as quite plausible, but something other than sex was my initial response.

17. Kamino Neko Dec 28th 2012 at 01:27 am 17

Y’all are dirty minded.

I’ve had this conversation multiple times…not once has it been sexual. (Considering that about half the time it’s been with my mother…)

18. Meryl A Dec 31st 2012 at 11:25 pm 18

I didn’t think different partner at all.

Thought of different than sex or different position.