Christmas Yet To Come

Cidu Bill on Dec 25th 2012

yettocome.gif

Does Walt mean that 20 years from now Jeremy’s kids will be blowing him off on Christmas?

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Christmas, Zits, comic strips, comics, humor | 14 responses so far

14 Responses to “Christmas Yet To Come”

1. The Vicar Dec 25th 2012 at 07:46 pm 1

If so, it isn’t terribly hilarious. It’s funnier if you think of this as “this is just a small taste of the guilt trips your mother will put on you, Jeremy, as soon as you no longer live in this house, if you do not come home for Christmas”. But not much.

2. MollyJ Dec 25th 2012 at 07:54 pm 2

Do his parents know how to say, “No, I don’t think you are?”

3. James Schend Dec 25th 2012 at 09:37 pm 3

What’s wrong with hanging out with friends on Christmas? He’s supposed to be like 17, right, not 12?

4. skaloop Dec 25th 2012 at 10:00 pm 4

@MollyJ - Do his parents have any actual way of stopping him? And if they do, should they actual;y stop him?

5. Bob in Nashville Dec 26th 2012 at 12:07 am 5

I think that Walt is either saying that to Connie about Jeremy’s growing tendency to favor friends over family as boys his age do, or to Jeremy about his mother’s reactions to such notions.

6. Detcord Dec 26th 2012 at 07:02 am 6

I think Walt is definitely talking to Jeremy. If Jeremy thinks this is bad, wait till he has a wife and then children. The pressure to “come home” will be enormous (especially as he is an only child). Of course, given his current responses (Uh-Huh) I doubt it is going to bother him much (but it may bother his eventual wife…*)

*assuming he ever gets one given the perpetual childhood of the toons.

PS: I never knew (or remembered) the Mother’s name - so thanks to Bob in Nashville(5)

7. Bob in Nashville Dec 26th 2012 at 08:24 am 7

I didn’t know it either. I had to look it up.

8. Molly J Dec 26th 2012 at 08:36 am 8

I’m just saying that Jeremy’s mom clearly think this is not appropriate and wants him to stay at home. Whether I agree with her or not isn’t the point. My question is, why is she being so passive/agressive, trying to guilt him into staying? If she wants him to stay home, she should say, “No, you’re not going out.” He’s a teenager; she’s the mom. She’s allowed to do that.

9. farmer Dec 26th 2012 at 09:00 am 9

@Detcord #6
    Jeremy isn’t an only child, though you’d be excused for thinking so given that his older brother Chad (I think?) hasn’t appeared in forever.

@Molly #8
    Maybe Connie’s trying to balance two desires: to allow Jeremy some freedom to make decisions (like leaving family on Christmas) but also for him to consider how his decisions affect others. Not saying she’s handling it well, but I don’t see it as passive-aggressive so much as upset that he’s not using that freedom the way she’d like (cue every parent ever). To her credit, she ISN’T putting her foot down (and this being hypocritically controlling after allowing some freedoms), just expressing her displeasure to make it clear what his decision means to her.

10. J-L Dec 26th 2012 at 12:01 pm 10

Notice Walt’s half-lidded eyes. When he says, “This is your glimpse of Christmas-yet-to-come” he might be referring to the future in ten years, as to how Jeremy’s wife might react.

In other words, Walt is saying something like, “Your mother acts like this now; your wife will act like this later. Trust me, I know. I’ve been through this already.”

11. Bob Dec 26th 2012 at 12:38 pm 11

@farmer #9
    “Chad” is correct. See http://zitscomics.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/72/files/chad/chad122706.png
    (BTW, they don’t have a sister. Chad is making a joke.)

12. Mike Dec 26th 2012 at 01:37 pm 12

I’m with the Vicar. Mom’s guilt trips are only going to get worse as Jeremy gets older and moves out.

13. John Small Berries Dec 26th 2012 at 06:21 pm 13

“Not to mention, Zits tends to use exaggeration (especially with Connie) to convey the depth of characters’ feelings. It’s not a “literally true” comic like, say, Doonesbury. So taking her actions literally is a bit beside the point; she’s acting out what many parents just feel at such a time.”

Oh, I don’t know about that. A mother clambering up onto the roof of a car in order to continue yelling at her child doesn’t seem all that out of the ordinary to me.

14. Ron Dec 26th 2012 at 09:03 pm 14

A mother clambering up onto the roof of a car in order to continue
    yelling at her child doesn’t seem all that out of the ordinary to me.

No offense, but I suspect that fails to seem out of the ordinary only
    to Lectroids.