Don’t mean to single anybody out, but…

Cidu Bill on Dec 24th 2012

“The Grinch’s heart grew three sizes so he died” has become the “Hey, if there’s global warming why is it so cold?” of Christmas comics.

I’m tempted some year to collect all the “Grinch died from an enlarged heart” gags and post them all in one place on December 24.

Yeah, I know, bah humbug.

Filed in Bill Bickel, Grinch, comics, comics strips, humor | 13 responses so far

13 Responses to “Don’t mean to single anybody out, but…”

1. Powers Dec 24th 2012 at 09:05 am 1

A new one to me. Is that the whole joke?

2. Morris Keesan Dec 24th 2012 at 11:29 am 2

Like Powers, I’ve never seen one of these, so I’d actually appreciate it if Bill would post a collection of them.

3. Kevin A. Dec 24th 2012 at 11:47 am 3

It does become a sad interpretation when it’s so pervasive. (Of course, not anywhere close to the cynical movie with its loveless whos.) We don’t call a 5′7″ woman “fat” if she gains 20 lbs after reducing herself to 90 lbs. The Grinch’s heart ended up only 1 size bigger than normal for his type. Of course, to grow 3 sizes in 1 day (or in the single dawning hour) may be a bit of a shock to the system; a heart is probably as far from the flexibility of the liver as is any organ. Come to think of it, a lot of anorexics have died when they regained the weight… because *their* heart had become two sizes too small.

4. Cidu Bill Dec 24th 2012 at 04:12 pm 4

If I posted them, Morris, that would kind of wreck the whole “don’t mean to single anybody out” part. I’m not in this to mock anybody.

But I’ve seen the Grinch die three times this season so far, and of course I don’t real every comic in the world.

5. Keera Dec 24th 2012 at 05:25 pm 5

Wait, what? The Grinch died?!? Way to ruin my Christmas, guys!

;-)

6. minorannoyance Dec 24th 2012 at 06:32 pm 6

I’m more concerned that climate change will make “Winter Was Warm” (Magoo’s Christmas Carol) figuratively chilling.

7. Lola Dec 24th 2012 at 06:59 pm 7

Keera - sorry to break it to you, but I just saw this today: http://www.gocomics.com/moderately-confused/2012/12/22

8. Keera Dec 24th 2012 at 07:10 pm 8

Thanks, Lola. :-/ Y’know, if it weren’t for this thread, I wouldn’t have had a clue about whose heart grew. Let’s just say that Dr. Seuss is no where near as famous in Norway as he is in the US, and I haven’t seen the Grinch since childhood because a) I want to see the original cartoon version because b) I can’t stand the live action ones. a) may finally happen, thanks to streaming.

9. chuckers Dec 24th 2012 at 09:48 pm 9

@Keera

The live action one was just plain horrid. I was given it as a DVD many years ago and only watched it once. The only thing that could have saved it would to have included the Chuck Jones cartoon as an extra feature in it.

Sadly, it was not to be so I had to go scrounge around the Internets for something to help me recall it.

10. Elyrest Dec 24th 2012 at 10:06 pm 10

Keera - You are smart not to watch the live action Grinch - it’s sort of icky. The cartoon is delightful and at 46 years old still feels packs a wallop.

11. Inkwell Dec 25th 2012 at 01:09 am 11

Keera- the cartoon is really fun and innocent, and it’s so sweet but not overbearingly so. Plus, Seuss wrote some magnificent lyrics.

The live-action one is just a crude, get-rich-quick scheme. To pad it out to movie length, it’s also full of soulless drama and misses the point of the Whos.

Also, that Moderately Confused comic is the worst version of that gag I’ve seen, because rather than a sudden, cynical death, we see poor Max waiting at the hospital. Jeez.

12. James Pollock Dec 26th 2012 at 02:39 am 12

I’m going to say that the Moderately Confused panel cited above seemed like a fresh variation. I haven’t, however, seen the “onslaught” that Bill was talking about, so maybe it’s still charming to me because it’s the first version I’ve seen of this trope.

13. Kilby Dec 26th 2012 at 02:59 am 13

@ Keera (8) - Seuss is virtually unknown in Germany, too. The reason is simple: Theodor Geisel’s lyrics are masterfully ingenious in English, and hence impossible to translate into any other language. Other than the (synchronized versions of the) live actions movies (all of which are abominable), I have not seen a single attempt to translate any of Seuss’s works into German.