Carol of the Bells

Cidu Bill on Dec 24th 2012

Just give me a candy cane and let me listen to this.

Filed in Bill Bickel, Christmas, YouTube, songs | 6 responses so far

6 Responses to “Carol of the Bells”

1. BVCC Dec 25th 2012 at 12:24 pm 1

It’s a beautiful piece of music. I wish it weren’t in every third commercial.

2. Boise Ed Dec 25th 2012 at 03:28 pm 2

That’s quite a production number. Do we know who those people are? It’s curious how they’re all dressed formally except for the scuzzy percussionist seen briefly near the beginning.

3. Lost in A**2 Dec 25th 2012 at 04:25 pm 3

Well, a web search on “Celtic Woman” turned up a a list of the singers. Unfortunately, it does not list the musicians, nor do find a reference to the venue.

4. Boise Ed Dec 25th 2012 at 04:39 pm 4

Ah, so that’s the Celtic Woman group. (They’re coming here to Boise in June.) Thanks, Lost.

5. fj Dec 25th 2012 at 04:50 pm 5

The only person playing a musical instrument that is a member of Celtic Woman is the fiddle player, Máiréad Nesbitt. I would imagine that the music director, David Downes, is also considered a member of the group from a practical perspective. I don’t know for a fact, but I’d guess they have a core group of musicians that play regularly with them as both their recording and touring band, but that the orchestra is filled out with local musicians hired on a per-gig basis.

The “scuzzy percussionist” is Ray Fean. He’s got a pretty impressive list of credentials as a drummer in traditional Irish music (and they include such diverse acts as Clannad, Paul Brady, Riverdance, Sinead O’Connor, and U2) so I guess he gets to dress however he wants…

6. Lost in A**2 Dec 26th 2012 at 09:56 am 6

Hmmm…. I see five ladies in the video but only four on their website. The “more info” button identifies the five, at least two of whom are now listed as “former members.”