P90X

Cidu Bill on Dec 20th 2012

p90x.gif

Filed in B.C., Bill Bickel, CIDU, Christmas, Santa Claus, comic strips, comics, humor | 27 responses so far

27 Responses to “P90X”

1. Inkwell Dec 20th 2012 at 04:11 pm 1

According to Wikipedia: “P90X, or Power 90 Extreme, is a commercial home exercise regimen, known for its intensity.” So, Rudolph is framing Dasher for implying Santa is fat.

Some more generic health-related gift might be better for the gag.

2. AMC Dec 20th 2012 at 04:15 pm 2

P90X is pretty well known.

I don’t know if “Sweating To The Oldies” would have been readable on the box….

3. Some Old Guy Dec 20th 2012 at 04:16 pm 3

^^ Right. Like … a bottle of weight loss pills or some Weight Watchers meals or a Nordic Trak exerciser or … anything but a product whose weird name you have to decipher and then Google for a lame joke.

4. JeffCG Dec 20th 2012 at 04:34 pm 4

P90X was well known enough to be a running joke in the presidential race this year, as Paul Ryan took part and was quoted on the product’s website endorsing it. I’m more surprised that BC had a comic that made a recent reference.

5. Judge Mental Dec 20th 2012 at 04:44 pm 5

If one watches TV at all, P90X is ubiquitous. In addition, as AMC alluded, due to it only being 4 characters and its recognizable delivery medium (DVD), it is much easily represented in the strip than a “box of Weight Watchers” (whatever that might be) or a ski machine (which I would contend that the “P90X” brand name is far more recognizable these days then “Nordic Track”)

6. James Schend Dec 20th 2012 at 05:30 pm 6

I don’t watch TV, and I had no idea what P90X is. I do know the P90 is the assault rifle used on Stargate: SG1. So… this comic was confusing as hell to me.

7. John Small Berries Dec 20th 2012 at 05:43 pm 7

The Presidential race was the first time I’d ever heard of P90X. Perhaps I just don’t watch enough TV.

8. The Vicar Dec 20th 2012 at 06:39 pm 8

9. Elyrest Dec 20th 2012 at 07:39 pm 9

I have never heard of P90X - I avoided politics like the plague during the recent election cycle. Something more generic would certainly have worked better.

10. Inkwell Dec 20th 2012 at 08:05 pm 10

I had to look up P90X, and it’s not like I don’t watch TV. I think it weakens the joke.

11. Carl Dec 20th 2012 at 08:46 pm 11

“If one watches TV at all, P90X is ubiquitous. ” That explains why I had never heard of it.

12. turquoisecow Dec 20th 2012 at 10:39 pm 12

I’ve heard of p90x but I originally thought the box was some sort of 1337 spelling and was trying to read the 9 as an R. Pr0x doesn’t make any sense either. Also, I thought Santa was giving another reindeer a gift of “Pr0x”, from Dasher, since there was nothing identifying Dasher as the reindeer in question.

Thus my first conclusion was that Dasher had given unnamed leader reindeer some sort of poison on Rudolph’s behalf in order to make Rudolph the leader. Or Rudolph was framing Dasher for the demise of the unnamed reindeer.

Yeah, I was a bit confused. :P

13. Jeff S. Dec 21st 2012 at 01:08 am 13

My only issue with the joke is, Dasher still got to fly on that particular trip, so his punishment wasn’t that big of a deal. Instead of Dasher, it should have been some odd reindeer we have never heard of before, meaning he got booted from the team on the one night he could have been famous.

14. The Bad Seed Dec 21st 2012 at 08:49 am 14

I watch a crapload of TV, both network and cable, of varying quality and taste, and have never seen a P90X ad. I only learned about it via the Internet meme, using these photos from a Time Magazine photo shoot… What was he thinking, and how did the photographer keep from laughing? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/11/paul-ryan-workout_n_1957452.html

15. The Bad Seed Dec 21st 2012 at 08:56 am 15

The complete set, which never ceases to amaze, amuse, and confuse me: http://lightbox.time.com/2012/10/11/paul-ryan-all-pumped-up-for-his-closeup/#1

16. heather Dec 21st 2012 at 09:46 am 16

I had never heard of it, and even if I had, i couldn’t decipher it. I kept seeing the 9 as a backwards P and kept thinking it was supposed to be Cyrillic and that they had accidentally used the Russian version of the comic.

17. Mark M Dec 21st 2012 at 09:59 am 17

I can’t believe this many people have not heard of it. It seems like a year ago it was all over the place.

18. mitch4 Dec 21st 2012 at 11:57 am 18

I tried to process it along the same approach as TurquoiseCow #12, and kept getting distracted by “pox” as a mismatch possibility. But that would be really nasty!

19. Elyrest Dec 21st 2012 at 12:33 pm 19

Mark M - All over the place for some people is not anywhere close for others. That’s always been the case, but with so many sources for news and entertainment now it’s easy to understand.

20. Rasheed Dec 21st 2012 at 04:57 pm 20

Maybe we need to dust off Tae Bo? I hear Jazzercise is actually making a comeback.

21. Larry Dec 21st 2012 at 09:17 pm 21

I’m with you Carl #11.

22. Boise Ed Dec 22nd 2012 at 01:08 am 22

That’s odd, Judge. I thought it was a TV that I watch now and then, but I still had no idea of what P90X might be. What do you suppose that screeny thingy in my living room is?

23. Jeff S. Dec 22nd 2012 at 10:01 am 23

Muscle confusion is the idea behind P90X. If you do the same exercise long enough, you stop getting benefits from it. Your muscles get use to the same repetitive motions. P90X makes you do several different exercises in different routines to make your muscles work harder. It uses different muscles each workout, so your muscles get ‘confused’ and the repetition is avoided.

24. rickbee Dec 22nd 2012 at 11:36 am 24

Came here as soon as I read this to put it in the queue. Already explained. Love CIDU!

25. Meryl A Dec 26th 2012 at 02:47 am 25

Never heard of it, try not to watch commercials.

26. Robert Dye Jan 9th 2013 at 01:58 am 26

Huh. All I came up with eas that Dasher was not leadingthe sleigh because he was being a brown-noser. . .

CIDU indeed.

27. Boise Ed Jan 9th 2013 at 05:12 pm 27

Muscle confusion, eh? In my case, it’s the brain trying to use the muscles that gets confused. … Dasher’s problem is that he is a brown-noser; he needs to be a red-noser.