Some Adam and Steve reference? Definitely Arlo material, though…

Cidu Bill on Dec 14th 2012

adamsteve.png

Caption: “Burden of Proof”

Filed in Arlo Page, Bill Bickel, CIDU, Cyanide and Happiness, comic strips, comics, humor | 22 responses so far

22 Responses to “Some Adam and Steve reference? Definitely Arlo material, though…”

1. Frosted Donut Dec 14th 2012 at 10:37 am 1

I think it’s just the standard switch-a-roo joke. We’re supposed to believe that Sally Wife is texting her husband (Adam) about missing sex with him.

In panel 2, we think “What a show-off, bragging to his friends.”

Panel 3 sets up the last panel where we find –bam!– his name isn’t Adam, but Steve. His wife sent the text to the wrong person and that’s why they’re getting divorced.

2. padraig Dec 14th 2012 at 10:39 am 2

I don’t see any gay humor in there at all, unless Sally is splitting up a triad.

3. Chakolate Dec 14th 2012 at 01:26 pm 3

Frosted Donut has it - it’s a pretty lame, old joke.

4. Kevin A. Dec 14th 2012 at 03:48 pm 4

I think the timing was brilliant and I loved the way my mind had to swim around to figure out what happened. To me, this is a perfect strip (if it’s true that the last sentence can’t be improved). And while the caption may a little tired, it’s a nice completion (even though I can’t relate to such a thing being a “burden” in the strict sense of the word).

5. minor annoyance Dec 14th 2012 at 03:53 pm 5

The caption suggests the point is the flimsiness of the “proof” and eagerness of the presumed husband and lawyer to base a divorce on it.

Maybe a comment how much weight is assigned to twitters and texts.

6. The Bad Seed Dec 14th 2012 at 07:30 pm 6

In a court of law, that text would not count as proof that she was currently having an affair, it could be an old boyfriend she hasn’t seen in 20 years. I can think of a few old lovers I still remember vividly and extremely fondly… …

7. Bob in Nashville Dec 14th 2012 at 07:34 pm 7

Add another layer of “proof” if his is small.

8. Mark in Boston Dec 14th 2012 at 08:07 pm 8

So the names Adam and Steve are a red herring?

9. Cidu Bill Dec 14th 2012 at 08:10 pm 9

Apparently; though I’d have said “pink herring”…

10. Proginoskes Dec 15th 2012 at 02:23 am 10

@ Mark in Boston: Evidently.

11. Soup Dragon Dec 15th 2012 at 09:43 am 11

Do C&H strips really have a caption? I can see the file name is Burden-of-proof.png, but I see no caption as such, nor any hover-text or alt-text, at http://www.explosm.net/comics/3017/ . Where did you see this caption, Bill?

(BTW, when did “C&H” stop meaning Calvin & Hobbes?)

12. padraig Dec 15th 2012 at 11:15 am 12

“Adam & Steve” might just be an inadvertent coincidence, too. I know twin girls named “Crystal” and “Alexis” and their mother claims she never heard of the tv characters (”Dynasty” for non-geezers) before picking the names. (Nobody believes her.)

13. Lost in A**2 Dec 15th 2012 at 12:11 pm 13

A woman of my acquaintance chose the name Siobhan Maeve for herself, with the soap opera most definitely in mind.

14. James Pollock Dec 15th 2012 at 01:39 pm 14

“(BTW, when did “C&H” stop meaning Calvin & Hobbes?)”

Sometime after it stopped meaning “California and Hawaii”, and referred to sugar.

15. Mark in Boston Dec 15th 2012 at 02:18 pm 15

And then there was the Congressman who was complaining about government waste and found Donald Duck on some department payroll.

Mr. Donald Duck, government employee, came forward to say that yes, it was his real name, he was born and named before the cartoon character made his first appearance, and he was sick and tired of the jokes and comments already.

16. Lost in A**2 Dec 15th 2012 at 02:31 pm 16

James, you scared me: I thought you were saying C & H was no longer making sugar!

17. Bob in Nashville Dec 15th 2012 at 03:08 pm 17

re: padraig @ 12.

Yeah, this lady’s not a Stevie Nicks fan. Just ask her three daughters, Sarah, Rhiannon, and Bella Donna. :-)

18. Cidu Bill Dec 15th 2012 at 03:09 pm 18

Soup Dragon, it was the name of the .gif file.

19. Tezza Dec 16th 2012 at 08:34 pm 19

Adam and Steve is a gay reference yes? “God made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve”.
    In panel 2 Adam finally has proof for Steve that what Adam has been saying all along is true, from his wife no less.
    In last panel now that there is a big enough reason to be together, divorce can now be arranged.

20. Dr. Shrinker Dec 17th 2012 at 12:49 pm 20

But, why do you need “proof” of anything to divorce someone?

21. James Pollock Dec 17th 2012 at 03:52 pm 21

You don’t need proof to get a divorce, but proof of fault DEFINITELY can affect the property settlement.

22. Rez Dec 17th 2012 at 07:49 pm 22

Apparently there’s a music group formed by Sally Rodgers and Steve Jones called ‘A Man Called Adam’ (abbr. AMCA). Not sure if this is related, but interesting nevertheless.