Memory Foam

Cidu Bill on Dec 12th 2012

memoryfoam-moderately-stahler-cidu.gif

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Jeff Stahler, Moderately Confused, comic strips, comics, humor | 21 responses so far

21 Responses to “Memory Foam”

1. Dave Van Domelen Dec 12th 2012 at 12:13 am 1

It has such a good memory it got degrees at prestigious universities. Never mind that memorization stops helping once you’re at the grad school level.

Joke would have worked better if it were a smartphone for sale.

2. James Pollock Dec 12th 2012 at 12:36 am 2

If you think memorization stops helping once you hit grad school, you’ve never been to law school.

3. Logan Dec 12th 2012 at 12:58 am 3

Ah, but James, the mattress hasn’t been to law school either.

4. Carl Dec 12th 2012 at 08:10 am 4

@JamesPollock, I happen to know Dave has a Ph. D. in physics.

5. Daniel J. Drazen Dec 12th 2012 at 10:46 am 5

Conflating memory and education is supposed to be funny?

6. James Pollock Dec 12th 2012 at 11:27 am 6

OK, Carl, now so do I. What does that have to do with law school? (Admittedly, physics coursework is required to sit for the patent bar. But a law degree isn’t, so even there, no overlap.)

7. J-L Dec 12th 2012 at 12:01 pm 7

I can understand the PhD from Stanford, but an MBA from Harvard? How does that make any sense?

8. J-L Dec 12th 2012 at 12:04 pm 8

(For those who haven’t figured it out, I was joking in my last post (#7).)

I think the joke is that nowadays things are so technologically advanced (such as smart phones and even smart toasters) that even mattresses have more intelligence than your average citizen.

9. Scott Dec 12th 2012 at 01:17 pm 9

If you Google memory foam smart you’ll see that there are references to “smart” memory foam, which I think is being referenced here. Smartness counts more than memory for those schools.

10. Winter Wallaby Dec 12th 2012 at 02:02 pm 10

James, what does law school have to do with Dave’s comment, or the comic? Law school isn’t grad school.

Incidentally, my feeling was that memorization stopped helping (or was at least of very limited value) even for my undergraduate physics classes.

11. Lola Dec 12th 2012 at 06:52 pm 11

12. Elyrest Dec 12th 2012 at 08:39 pm 12

Lola - This is a little more manageable.

13. Elyrest Dec 12th 2012 at 08:41 pm 13

14. James Pollock Dec 13th 2012 at 05:53 pm 14

“Law school isn’t grad school.”

Except where it is, such as in the U.S.

15. Elyrest Dec 13th 2012 at 08:00 pm 15

“Law school isn’t grad school.”

James Pollock - While I know that technically both law and medical school are considered grad school I don’t know of anyone, who went to them, that would say they went to grad school. And if someone told me that they were going to grad school I would never think of either law or medicine.

16. Winter Wallaby Dec 14th 2012 at 12:01 am 16

If someone was talking about their time in “grad school,” I would be pretty surprised if it turned out that they were talking about law school.

From wikipedia:

A distinction is typically made between graduate schools (where courses of study do not provide training for a particular profession) and professional schools, which offer specialized advanced degrees in professional fields such as medicine, business, engineering, ministry or law. . .

17. James Pollock Dec 14th 2012 at 05:36 am 17

Conversely, dictionary.com offers:
    grad school, noun
    a school in a university offering study leading to degrees beyond the bachelor’s degree

18. Winter Wallaby Dec 14th 2012 at 12:59 pm 18

That’s not really “conversely.” As Elyrest said (and Wikipedia as well), law school and med school can technically be considered to be grad school by the dictionary definition, but people don’t actually use the term in that way. Do you actually know lawyers or doctors who talk about their time in “grad school”?

19. James Pollock Dec 16th 2012 at 01:10 am 19

Actually, I don’t presently know any lawyers or doctors who don’t have experience with both “professional school” and “grad school”, as you separate them. If there’s a need to separate them, it’s usually “when I was in school” with clarification for “undergraduate” when needed. It just doesn’t come up. Seems like a needless distinction to me. And having conceded that I’m OK “by dictionary definition”, what exactly is the complaint with my original comment?

20. Winter Wallaby Dec 16th 2012 at 06:31 pm 20

I’m not sure if that’s intended as a serious question, or if you’re just being argumentative. I’m just pointing out that the way you’re using words is not the way that they’re commonly used by actual English speakers. When Dave said “grad school,” it’s unlikely he was referring to “grad school.” If you want to use words in uncommon ways, that’s your prerogrative, but I’m not sure why you would want to make it difficult to communicate with other English speakers.

You can also serve people jalapenos for a meal, and insist that you’re giving them fruit, since jalapenos have seeds in them, but I’m not sure why you would want to.

21. Lost in A**2 Dec 16th 2012 at 07:16 pm 21

Go back and read the first two responses in this thread. Dave wrote “grad school level,” and James replied with a reference to law school, which, in the U.S. is “grad school level.”

If you want to argue definitions, make sure you are arguing the *right* definitions.

BTW, my exposure to grad school leads me to the conclusion that it is all pretty much ‘professional’ or ‘vocational’ training. A lot of times, the training isn’t in the subject matter, of course.