Location

Cidu Bill on Dec 11th 2012

location.png

(metatext: “Ingress: Foursquare with space noises”)

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, comic strips, comics, humor, xkcd | 15 responses so far

15 Responses to “Location”

1. PeterW Dec 11th 2012 at 12:33 am 1

This is pretty obscure. I guess those green flares are what Ingress hotspots or whatever they’re called are like.

Ingress is Google+’s augmented reality game involving going to these marked locations and then you get points or something. I’m on G+, but I try to ignore the Ingress posts as much as possible.

2. zbicyclist Dec 11th 2012 at 01:07 am 2

Does this mean there are now enough people on Google+ so that it can provide context for an XKCD joke?

I think I saw a Facebook reference on “Blondie” recently, so Google+ still has a ways to go.

3. kelly f. Dec 11th 2012 at 01:30 am 3

I saw the green splotches and thought it was a weird reference to ‘the creep show.’

4. Meryl A Dec 11th 2012 at 03:12 am 4

Having gone through Hurricane Sandy, I was wondering if he has electricity and heat and they want to visit to warm up. (Yes we had Internet the entire time our electric was out. Local Cable co has wifi hotspots and apparently the wiring for it runs up our street or something. So despite them telling us it is impossible we get their wifi in the house - we are their customer for cable and Internet service - and with two charged laptops can access the Internet.)

5. Proginoskes Dec 11th 2012 at 03:33 am 5

My interpretation was: They just want to look at the pretty lights.

6. jjmcgaffey Dec 11th 2012 at 05:32 am 6

OK, this is weird. I _swear_ this was just posted a few days ago - and there were a whole bunch of comments, which explained to me that it was a reference to Ingress. But it’s not there when I scroll down…did I get it explained somewhere else?

Well, in case I did - Ingress is an alternate reality game (I think I got the words slightly wrong) with stuff that shows up on your phone. Apparently the point is to control “portals” (which apparently look like that - green glowy bits) with keys that you can pick up, and to link the portals together. So several (four) portals in one place lured them into finagling an invitation over there, so they could take control of the portals. Oh, there’s two sides to the game - when you join you join one group or the other, and any portals you take over then belong to that group.

Oh, OK - that’s what it was, I went to the XKCD forum and it was explained there. Whew, I’m not losing my mind (at least not in this case).

7. Todd Dec 11th 2012 at 06:10 am 7

I thought the same thing, jj. Then I realized I saw the strip on Android Central, a blog about the phone os and the devices that run on it.

8. Powers Dec 11th 2012 at 09:00 am 8

It was also discussed extensively on The Comics Curmudgeon last week.

9. Dan W Dec 11th 2012 at 09:09 am 9

From www.explainxkcd.com:

“Ingress is an augmented reality location-based service game in which players have to visit certain real-world places marked by the game as containing in-game objectives, called portals. The friend in the comic owns a home surrounded by an abundance of portals, which makes it an attractive destination for Cueball and co.”

10. Ian Osmond Dec 11th 2012 at 11:00 am 10

The general response to this comic appears to be that it is slightly amusing to a very small number of people, and incomprehensible to the vast majority.

That’s not a great success rate, but they can’t all be winners.

11. Arthur Dec 11th 2012 at 11:39 am 11

Sometimes I think that Munroe merely wants to share his geeky interests.
    So, he comes up with a comic which makes the rest of us do the STFW step.

12. Lost in A**2 Dec 11th 2012 at 04:52 pm 12

Ah. “Fine.” Of course.

13. minorannoyance Dec 12th 2012 at 01:46 am 13

For me it almost works better without the last panel, the gag being a bunch of pushy jerks deciding the guy with a new pad is now good enough to host them.

14. DPWally Dec 13th 2012 at 12:18 pm 14

I think Arthur #11 is right about the incomprehensibility issue.

As a self-published cartoonist he’s at liberty to decide whether he wants to amuse everyone or amuse a small subset. Sometimes he goes broad, sometimes he aims for people who use Ingress, people who understand quantum mechanics, people who’ve read the Kama Sutra, people who code web pages, whatever.

His geek-heavy audience will accept missing some smart stuff as long as they also get smart stuff they understand. That’s a good tradeoff, there are enough strips that are careful to make sure everyone understands (with occasional failures, as documented on CIDU), we need a few that are willing to go over our heads.

15. The Vicar Dec 14th 2012 at 05:54 am 15

People seriously let Google, a company with a long history of privacy invasion and casual intellectual property violation, and which now gets location data from their phones, inveigle them into visiting places?

…aaaand I just realized that I actually didn’t have any respect for Android users anyway, so I’m just not feeling the contempt the way I expected.