LOL: Special Cyanide and Happiness Edition

Cidu Bill on Dec 10th 2012

Arthur: On CIDU, someone recently implied that Cyanide & Happiness is never humorous. Here are some of my favorites which might be suitable for inclusion on an LOL page:

Filed in Bill Bickel, Comics That Made Us Laugh Out Loud, Cyanide and Happiness, comic strips, comics, humor, lol | 13 responses so far

13 Responses to “LOL: Special Cyanide and Happiness Edition”

1. Judge Mental Dec 10th 2012 at 12:39 pm 1

C&H is often dark and offensive. I agree that all in this batch were funny, but IMO there wasn’t a single one that I would classify as offensive (even the two related to STDs were relatively benign) I don’t know if that is a coincidence or not.

I have often been curious if any of the four regulars are more or less funny for my particular tastes, but I have never really paid enough attention to see if there is a trend. Interestingly enough, the strip originator, Kris Wilson, was the only not represented in your sampling, which did include 2 strips by guests.

2. Paperboy Dec 10th 2012 at 12:52 pm 2

I found Cyanide and Happiness on this site, and made it the only web-comic I regularly check.

3. John Small Berries Dec 10th 2012 at 01:53 pm 3

I found yesterday’s hilarious.

Actually, reading back over the past month, with the exception of “Depressing Comic Week”, I found most of them funny. Especially this one.

4. Mike Dec 10th 2012 at 03:29 pm 4

I find C&H intermittently funny, and occasionally offensive, but most often annoying for how hard it’s trying to be offensive. LOOK HOW EDGY I AM! CAN’T HANDLE THAT CAN YOU! P-CHA!*

*that’s supposed to be the sound Lightning McQueen makes when he shines his mirror at people. sorry, I just saw Cars yesterday for the first time.

5. Keera Dec 10th 2012 at 04:43 pm 5

Stepladder. Hearing AIDS. *giggle*

6. Michael Dec 10th 2012 at 07:09 pm 6

Usually the ones I find the most humorous are drawn by Rob. He did 3 of the 7 here, which may be a coincidence.

I don’t mind the offensive ones as long as it makes the joke work. If there is no joke or the offensiveness has nothing to do with the joke it just feels like middle school humor.

7. J-L Dec 10th 2012 at 07:10 pm 7

For the record, I quite liked the onomatopoeia one.

8. Inkwell Dec 10th 2012 at 10:46 pm 8

I don’t like C&H much, but to say something is “never humorous” is ridiculous. Humor is subjective. I don’t think you need to defend it, though, because it’s already a super popular comic.

…After being a sourpuss, I have to admit that most of these were hilarious. My favorites were the highlighter one and the stepladder one.

9. Elyrest Dec 10th 2012 at 11:58 pm 9

I was a regular C&H reader for a while, but I stopped for some of the same reasons that Mike mentioned. It seemed to be trying too hard to be offensive and I’m not really looking for blood and splattered brains in my comics - even if they are stick figures. I did like several of the ones that Arthur posted - the ones Keera and J-L liked. I especially liked the stepladder one myself.

10. Kilby Dec 11th 2012 at 04:45 am 10

This post is exactly why I read CIDU (and not C&H). I freely admit that C&H has an occasional gem, but it’s simply not worth my time to wade through all the gratuitous offensiveness on the off chance that any particular strip might be another good one. However, if someone else is willing to do the filtering (thanks, Arthur!), I’m very glad to have an opportunity to read a bunch of good ones all at once.

11. Powers Dec 11th 2012 at 09:04 am 11

Mike: That’s “ka-CHOW”.

12. Powers Dec 11th 2012 at 09:05 am 12

I think the best of that bunch were Blofield and Onomatopoeia.

13. Pinny Dec 12th 2012 at 08:42 pm 13

My favorite by FAR was the James Bond one. It makes great use of the comic layout (it would never work if they were six panels laid out side by side), and it sort of feels like a spatial analogy to the time traveling in the opening scene of Robert Heinlein’s short story “By His Bootstraps” — one of my favorite time travel stories.

Oh and it reminds me of the line an an Abbot and Costello routine.:

Abbott: “…he has a flaw in his ceiling.”
    Costello [mishearing]:”What do you mean he has a floor in his ceiling?”