Maggots

Cidu Bill on Dec 9th 2012

maggots.gif

Is the gag here (and I mean “gag”) that the two flies are “makin’ maggot” under the mistletoe, and the female fly is giving birth (-ish) right in front of us? Which would mean a confluence of “Arlo Award,” truly bizarre, and “Ewww! Ewww! Ewww!”

Filed in 9 Chickweed Lane, Arlo Award, Arlo Page, Bill Bickel, Brooke McEldowney, CIDU, Ewww, comic strips, comics, humor | 13 responses so far

13 Responses to “Maggots”

1. Elyrest Dec 9th 2012 at 12:46 am 1

Maggots? Really? I’m trying to come up with something funny or ewwwy, but I got nothin’.

2. Logan Dec 9th 2012 at 01:06 am 2

Yes, Bill. I think that’s what’s happening. It seems a bit too C&H for a newspaper comic.

3. Lola Dec 9th 2012 at 02:02 am 3

Love under the mistletoe. The red stuff is a bunch of hearts. I think it supposed to represent fly passion. This is the comic that had hands going at it. The maggots will come later.

4. Keera Dec 9th 2012 at 08:15 am 4

Actually, that heart-falling thing used to represent the, uh, results of sex has been used before, IIRC. I seem to remember it being discussed here.

Anyway, somebody must have left meat out rather than cookies. Bacon for Santa!

5. AMC Dec 9th 2012 at 10:16 am 5

These are the kinds of sentiments that give me a swarm feeling around Christmas.

6. Charlene Dec 9th 2012 at 12:03 pm 6

Where do you find flies in December?

7. Woodrowfan Dec 9th 2012 at 12:06 pm 7

The Ladybugs in Love car ad.

8. Mary in Ohio Dec 9th 2012 at 05:31 pm 8

Uh - flies lay eggs on whatever the food is (bacon is pretty high in preservatives for it to work that quickly) and then the maggots hatch. I don’t watch CSI enough to know how long that takes, but I’m pretty sure it’s not instantaneous.

9. Frosted Donut Dec 9th 2012 at 06:25 pm 9

According to Orkin (who does, however, have an incentive to scare you), it’s a 24 hour period from the makin’ to the maggot.

10. Lost in A**2 Dec 9th 2012 at 07:15 pm 10

24 hours sounds about right: yesterday’s dog food, covered and moved into the garage, had maggots when I threw it out.

11. Fluffy Bunny Slippers Dec 9th 2012 at 08:37 pm 11

Is this how Volkswagon makes beatles?

12. bAT L. Dec 9th 2012 at 09:10 pm 12

I see what the comic is implying, but if a female fly has maggots coming out of it, it usually means that it’s worse than that. She’s dead, Jim. It also means she was already pregnant before they met here. This comic gets more Ewww the more in depth I think about it. I wonder if the author originally intended to have that character say “Makin’ maggots” instead of just “Maggots”?

13. bAT L. Dec 9th 2012 at 09:17 pm 13

Come to think of it, I’m pretty sure flies … do it on the fly, as it were. There’s no landing involved when they’re going at it, so I think he’s probably attacking instead! Maybe the male is trying to mate, and the female was so heavy with maggots that she succumbed to the weight and they both fell to the floor as she burst apart and the hungry little buggers tore their way out? I want to be no part of this new Christmas tradition!