Who gets this?

Cidu Bill on Dec 8th 2012

angel.jpg

If you’re seriously into Doctor Who, you’ll probably get this. If you’re not, there would be zero point explaining it to you.

Filed in Comics That Made Us Laugh Out Loud, Doctor Who, Head Trip, comic strips, comics, humor, lol | 24 responses so far

24 Responses to “Who gets this?”

1. Bob in Nashville Dec 8th 2012 at 05:18 pm 1

I’m not into Dr. Who, but I got it from the reference and a relevant clip having recently been the internet meme of the moment.

2. Cidu Bill Dec 8th 2012 at 05:22 pm 2

Except this combines two separate references…

3. Singapore Bill Dec 8th 2012 at 06:06 pm 3

Got it, but I’m a Whovian. I agree with your assessment.

4. jrpstonecarver Dec 8th 2012 at 06:18 pm 4

And I thought the weeping angels were bad enough in their original form. But… a weeping, silent angel. Yikes!

5. Karl Dec 8th 2012 at 09:50 pm 5

I thought it was a LOL and shared it with my wife and kids who also enjoyed it.

Yep, we are all Dr. Who fans.

6. Jon Delfin Dec 8th 2012 at 09:53 pm 6

I’m a Doctor Who fan, but I had to look twice before I really got it. If I’d seen it elsewhere, I probably would have given it just the first look, thought it was weird, and moved on.

7. Kamino Neko Dec 8th 2012 at 10:08 pm 7

I think I’ma file away ‘Silent Angel’ as a good superhero name.

(Totally got it.)

8. Cidu Bill Dec 9th 2012 at 12:48 am 8

Just for the record, Head Trip

9. Keera Dec 9th 2012 at 08:10 am 9

I do not get Dr. Who references. Does this mean I have to reincarnate (again) to make up for this?

10. Elyrest Dec 9th 2012 at 09:17 am 10

Keera - I don’t get Dr. Who references either. It seems like something that I would like, but I never stumbled across it over the years. I heard a lot about it, but it was never on when I was watching TV. At some point I felt too far behind the curve to catch up and never went seeking the show. I did watch the first two seasons of Torchwood, which is a Dr. Who spin-off. I didn’t know that though and I’m sure I missed lots of references that just went right over my head.

11. Timothy P. Callahan Dec 9th 2012 at 09:54 am 11

I believe when this was posted her facebook status said something like “Yes, I’ve been watching a lot of Doctor Who recently.” I got it right away and thought it was very clever, and something I’d actually like to see on the real show!

12. Usual John Dec 9th 2012 at 10:50 am 12

For those who have not watched the relevant episodes of Dr. Who, check out the Wikipedia articles on Blink (Doctor Who) and Silence (Doctor Who). Blink is probably the best episode ever of Dr. Who and one of the best television stories I’ve ever seen. It is an atypical story for Dr. Who, and you do not need to know much more about the series than that the Doctor, who is not seen much in this episode, can travel in time.

13. Wendy Dec 9th 2012 at 12:30 pm 13

Love it. The angels are definitely one of the scariest tv monsters ever. Add the power of Silence and you’ve got a really scary creature!

14. Jon Delfin Dec 9th 2012 at 05:37 pm 14

@Keera: It goes without saying — as it’s “regenerate,” not “reincarnate” ;-)

15. Mary Ellen Dec 9th 2012 at 06:09 pm 15

Eeeep, Weeping Silent Angel!

16. yellojkt Dec 9th 2012 at 10:06 pm 16

The explanation is very spacey-wacy timey-whimey.

17. Judge Mental Dec 10th 2012 at 11:25 am 17

Not a Dr. Who fan, and I don’t have a clue about the comic.

I have never seen a single episode of Dr. Who, in part because I have been fearful that it is the type of show that might take a viewer a while to “get up to speed”. Am I wrong in that assumption? Do you have to watched it from the beginning? If so, is it okay to start with the “revival” in 2005. To further complicate things, since 2005 they have started referring to each “season” as a “series”. Is this strictly a change in terminology, or is there a cohesive element to each set of episodes?

Curiously enough, despite its legions of fans, I don’t know that I have ever met one in person, at least it has never come up in conversation. This is another reason I have never watched it, because I have always wanted some input on a good starting point before I started watching it “cold”.

18. marie Dec 10th 2012 at 11:28 am 18

I laughed, but I can’t remember why…

19. Cidu Bill Dec 10th 2012 at 12:46 pm 19

Judge Mental, you can definitely start with the 2005 revival and ignore the rest — and there are some really, really good episodes in that first season.

There is usually a theme to each season/series/whatever, but nothing you have to worry about.

Enjoy.

20. Keera Dec 10th 2012 at 04:48 pm 20

Elyrest, sometimes I think we were separated at birth. ;-)

Jon @14, is that another Dr. Who reference? :-)

21. Elyrest Dec 10th 2012 at 11:53 pm 21

Keera - I’ve had that thought myself. Kindred spirits.

22. Joshua Dec 11th 2012 at 11:07 pm 22

@17 Judge: All British TV shows use the word “series” for what Americans would refer to what Americans would call a “season” (typically the episodes for a particular year). It’s not Doctor Who-specific.

23. Joshua Dec 11th 2012 at 11:07 pm 23

“what Americans would refer to what Americans would call” — badly edited sentence, but you get the idea.

24. Kamino Neko Dec 12th 2012 at 07:48 am 24

Joshua - it’s actually rather weird…the pre-relaunched Who referred to the seasons as seasons (which, yes, is a rarity on British TV), so series 6 (last year’s series) can also be referred to as season 32 (as it’s the 32nd season of the overall series), whereas ’season 6′ refers to the 1968-1969 season.