Luann lives in French Polynesia???

Cidu Bill on Dec 5th 2012

timezones.gif

Filed in Bill Bickel, Greg Evans, Luann, comic strips, comics, humor, time zones | 22 responses so far

22 Responses to “Luann lives in French Polynesia???”

1. Taigan Dec 5th 2012 at 11:54 am 1

I don’t understand why this is a CIDU. Luann apparently lives on the west coast (don’t know if that’s been said before.) West coast of North america is GMT - 8 hrs. Sydney, Australia is GMT +10 hrs. Add in the extra hour because Australia is currently on Daylight Savings Time and you get a 19 hour difference, or -5 hours off a 24 hour clock.

2. 1985Fury Dec 5th 2012 at 11:56 am 2

I don’t see a CIDU tag, Taigan.

3. J-L Dec 5th 2012 at 11:56 am 3

Good catch.

…or maybe Quill lives in French Polynesia!

4. Taigan Dec 5th 2012 at 11:59 am 4

Well, then I don’t see what French Polynesia has to do with anything. As I’m typing this, it is 3:00 AM in Sydney, 8:00 AM in California, and 6:00 AM in French Polynesia.

5. Cidu Bill Dec 5th 2012 at 12:11 pm 5

Hmm… there’s an 8-timezone difference between Sydney and California, but only a 5-hour difference on the clock. I didn’t see that coming.

Well, you learn something new every day. My apologies, Greg.

6. Bill Clay Dec 5th 2012 at 12:42 pm 6

Where are you getting the 8 timezone difference? Look at Taigan’s post for the different GMZ timezones for California and Sydney.

7. Gary Dec 5th 2012 at 12:54 pm 7

The version in my paper had Luann’s first balloon as “Mom, it’s 6:30 A.M. for Quill”, and Quill responding “I could get up at 4 a.m., so it’d only be 9 p.m. there. Does that help?”

Looks like someone corrected it for the online version (4 am Sydney is currently 9 *am* US/Pacific).

8. Lost in A**2 Dec 5th 2012 at 01:29 pm 8

I’m trying to figure out whether the two are on the same day. It feels to me that 3 AM today in California is 8 AM tomorrow in Sydney.

9. Lost in A**2 Dec 5th 2012 at 01:38 pm 9

Also, looking at a map of world time zones, I can’t be sure of my count: it looks like seven zones from Sydney, on the east coast of Australia, to California, on the west coast of North America. Could be eight, though.

(Why do I think Sydney is on the east coast? Because I just read _The_Proving_Ground_, about the Sydney to Hobart race in the late ’90s.)

10. Judge Mental Dec 5th 2012 at 01:53 pm 10

I am too lazy to look it up where they are, but there are some time zones that actually are half-hour offsets instead of a full hour. I know there are parts of Australia this is the case.

11. James Schend Dec 5th 2012 at 02:03 pm 11

I used to chat with people in NZ a lot, I’m in Seattle. The difference is either 19 or 21 hours, depending on whether Daylight Savings Time in in effect or not (the Southern Hemisphere has a reversed DST).

In “practical” terms, you’re talking to the person the next day, minus 3 hours. So if it’s Saturday at 5:00 PM for me, it’s Sunday at 2:00 PM for them.

Anyway, they’re actually pretty easy timezones to get a handle on, IMO. For work I have to email a guy in Prague a lot, and his timezone I just can’t get into my head for some reason.

12. Elyrest Dec 5th 2012 at 02:19 pm 12

I never took Luann as being set on the west coast of the U.S. - it has an eastern vibe to me. Maybe it’s because they always show snow and wintry stuff. They do get snow in parts of the Pacific time zone, but it’s not commonly near the larger population centers.

James Schend - I have the opposite problem with time zones. When I lived in California I often had to do business with people in western Europe and I could do those time zones in a snap. Going the other way just confuses me - shouldn’t, but it does.

13. fj Dec 5th 2012 at 03:30 pm 13

Without DST or “Summer Time” adjustments, Eastern Australia is GMT + 10. Pacific Standard Time is GMT - 8. That means that there is an 18 hour standard time difference. Without daylight savings time, New South Wales is 18 hours ahead of California:

California: GMT-8
    Alaska: GMT-9
    Hawaii: GMT-10
    GMT-11
    GMT-12/GMT+12
    GMT+11
    GMT+10: Eastern Australia

The parts of Australia (mostly the sourthern provinces, including New South Wales (Sidney) and Victoria (Melbourne)) that observe DST go on DST on the first Sunday of October. The US goes off DST on the first Sunday of November. The US then goes back on DST on the second Sunday of March, while Australia goes off DST the first sunday of April.

So right now, Quill is 19 hours ahead of Luann (or 5 hours behind, plus a day, if you prefer).
    When the US goes on DST on the second Sunday of March, Q will be 18 hours ahead (6 behind).
    When the Australia goes off DST on the first Sunday of April Q will be 17 hours ahead (7 behind).
    When Australia goes back on DST on the first Sunday of October, Q will be 18 hours ahead (6 behind)
    And when the US goes off of DST on the first Sunday of November, Q will be back to 19 hours ahead.

14. DPWally Dec 5th 2012 at 07:00 pm 14

In the 11/28 strip Luann says Quill is 19 hours ahead, so the only time they can talk is 6am for him 11pm for her. Which is wrong.

I think it’s absolutely reasonable to assume the characters don’t have a handle on the time difference, either. It also seems likely their next breakup will involve a missed call caused by a time zone mixup.

15. Lisah Dec 5th 2012 at 07:52 pm 15

I deal with this stuff all the time at work and it always gives me a headache. That’s why I’ve bookmarked:

16. Elyrest Dec 5th 2012 at 08:22 pm 16

Lisah - I use that timeanddate site all the time myself. It’s great. I referred to it when I was trying to figure out this Luann.

17. Lisah Dec 5th 2012 at 08:25 pm 17

so did I :-)

18. Joshua Dec 5th 2012 at 09:17 pm 18

@12: While I don’t think the strip has ever stated it explicitly, the most likely setting for Luann is the San Diego area, which is where Greg Evans lives.

19. fj Dec 6th 2012 at 06:24 pm 19

While the 19 hours is correct, DPWally is right about this whole “only time they can talk” thing is messed up. If it is 11pm for Luann, it is 6pm the next day for Quill.

20. zbicyclist Dec 7th 2012 at 02:12 pm 20

” this whole “only time they can talk” thing is messed up. ”

No, perfectly consistent with teenager logic. (even if they were in the same time zone)

21. Olpera Dec 8th 2012 at 10:06 am 21

I can’t help that the comments above make me think of one of the best running gags in M.A.S.H. - their (mostly Lt/Col Blake) severe problems with understanding the time difference between US and Korea (as well as the 24-hours format). No further comments!

Below is one of the most intricate dialogs on the subject:

Frank Burns, in panic, eagerly wants Radar to call his stock broker in New York when he gets some information about a hot stock … .

Radar: I can’t reach them now sir, I’ll be calling them yesterday.
    Frank: That’s ridiculous!
    Radar: Oh no sir, they’re 16 hours behind us. Our today is their yesterday.
    Frank: It’s 5oclock in the afternoon!
    Radar: Well that’s here sir. Back there it’s one oclock yesterday morning. Everyone’s gone to bed and said, see ya tomorrow. Which, by the time their tomorrow comes will be our yesterday. (Very correct but totally perplexing the situation!)
    Frank: Isn’t it 16 hours later there?
    Radar: No, sir.
    Frank: Well, what if it is? When would it be now here if it was our today there?
    Radar: You see we don’t have the same now, sir. By the time their now becomes our now this’ll be them.
    Frank: Ok. I think I got a bead on it. In order for me to talk to them at 9oclock in the morning their time what time does it have to be our when?
    Radar: Uh, 1oclock our tomorrow morning will get you 9am their today there, sir.
    Frank: Then that’s what we’ll do.
    Radar: Yes, sir. As soon as I get a circuit, there’s a two day wait.
    Frank: I can’t wait two days, that’ll be three days ago!
    Radar: Right.

Neither can can I help rubbing it in that if it wasn’t for Wake Island, US would be the latest country in the world, Baker Island -12h.
    Wake Island, on the other hand, makes US at the same time(!) being the earliest, +12h. Well almost. Rawaki & Tonga (+13 h), & Tokelau (+14 h) seem to have themselves a special deal.
    (ref: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ad/Standard_time_zones_of_the_world.png )

Confused? - Wait for the next episode of S.O.A.P.!

22. Olpera Dec 8th 2012 at 10:11 am 22

Sorry! More confusion: Chatham Islands, +12 3/4(!!) h.