Blues

Cidu Bill on Dec 5th 2012

blues.jpg

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Far Side, Gary Larson, comic strips, comics, humor | 16 responses so far

16 Responses to “Blues”

1. Don N. Hagist Dec 4th 2012 at 11:12 pm 1

Because what on earth do they have to be blue about? Maybe he’ll play “Sittin’ on the Bow of the Yacht” instead of “Sittin’ on the Dock of the Bay.”

2. Carl Dec 4th 2012 at 11:18 pm 2

Andrew has nothing to be depressed about. More, “the blues” is the music of poor, country black people. Andrew is a rich, white sophisticate.

3. Fluffy Bunny Slippers Dec 5th 2012 at 12:16 am 3

A. They do have blue blood
    B Perhaps Andrew is the butler
    C That staircase leads them out of the dungeon and their gilded cage but their captors keep them there and torment them with bagpipe sonatas over a loudspeaker

4. Rusty Dec 5th 2012 at 12:33 am 4

The atmosphere suggests that a lot of classical music gets played, so she is suggesting something different to break up the monotony.

I guess not every Far Side can be a winner…

5. RyanE Dec 5th 2012 at 02:17 am 5

I was wondering if it had something to do with the Phallic Tesla coil above the pianist.

But then, I always wonder that.

6. Ian Osmond Dec 5th 2012 at 08:28 am 6

You CAN’T play the blues when you live in a place like that.

What’s the difference between country and blues?
    In blues, you never HAD a dog, you never HAD a truck, you never HAD a woman in the first place. . .

7. furrykef Dec 5th 2012 at 02:10 pm 7

I have to admit I find the contrast between Gary Larson’s simple line art and the visual elaborateness of watercolor quite amusing.

8. Dr. Shrinker Dec 5th 2012 at 02:29 pm 8

That pillar is so…VEINY…it’s making me kind of uncomfortable.

9. Scott Dec 5th 2012 at 04:27 pm 9

He’ll go by the name of Blind Lemon Pledge.

10. Pete Dec 5th 2012 at 05:54 pm 10

I don’t get the joke, and I don’t even know what the giant dildo is meant to be.

11. Lindsay Dec 5th 2012 at 09:28 pm 11

I’m pretty sure this is a play on Andrew Lloyd Weber?

12. chuckers Dec 5th 2012 at 09:47 pm 12

@Lindsay

Agreed. Although still a bit weak regardless.

13. Bob in Nashville Dec 5th 2012 at 10:46 pm 13

What Ian said @6. LOL

14. Kevin A. Dec 6th 2012 at 12:58 am 14

I’m thinking that’s a giant paper towel holder. My sister had a stone one as well (kind of marble-like and only a little more than paper towel width high). It’s not really a good material for paper towel holders if you have cats that push things off counters.
    I’ll bet that, because this one was so big, the family thought it was a work of art. Maybe it is; I’m no connoisseur in that area.

15. Tezza Dec 9th 2012 at 07:44 pm 15

LOVE Far Side

16. Buzz Killington Dec 10th 2012 at 06:05 pm 16

Damn, I wish this cartoon had been in one of those ‘New Yorker’ caption contests - this would have been my submission:
    “After two tries, Edna was finally granted her wish for a six foot tall pianist.”