Cidu Bill on Dec 4th 2012

robin.gif

Filed in Bill Bickel, Frazz, Jef Mallett, comic strips, comics, humor | 15 responses so far

15 Responses to “”Because you know when you’ve seen the first robin but you don’t know when you’ve seen the last robin. Now sit down and shut up.””

1. Mary in Ohio Dec 4th 2012 at 07:01 pm 1

The headline basically covers what I would have told the little pr**k if he were in my class. Thanks, CIDU Bill.

2. John DiFool Dec 4th 2012 at 10:17 pm 2

I’m probably the only CIDU’er who would notice the last bird of fall…

3. Fluffy Bunny Slippers Dec 5th 2012 at 12:11 am 3

I say infect all the robins with bird flu and then we should see the last of them pronto

4. Kamino Neko Dec 5th 2012 at 12:21 am 4

Strips like this are half the reason I stopped reading Frazz. (The other half was Frazz’s ‘your hobbies suck, be a runner and spend most of your time achy, miserable, and wet, that’s much more worthwhile’.)

If Caulfield were a character who existed in a more geeky genre than newspaper comics (fanfic, superhero comics, sci-fi TV, etc), he’d have been almost universally called a Gary Stu the moment he appeared. The universe deforms itself around him to make him look like the smartest person in the room, even when his nonsense has an obvious answer like this.

5. Kamino Neko Dec 5th 2012 at 12:29 am 5

… OK, now it’s just silly to flag a single use of that word…stupid auto-moderation.

6. Proginoskes Dec 5th 2012 at 02:51 am 6

“Ignorance is bliss” is NOT the actual saying. It is: “IF ignorance is bliss, THEN ‘TIS FOLLY TO BE WISE.” Which, on the whole, is much more logical.

7. fj Dec 5th 2012 at 08:40 am 7

Actually, the original is “Where ignorance is bliss, then ’tis folly to be wise.”

See http://www.thomasgray.org/cgi-bin/display.cgi?text=odec for the full poem.

8. farmer Dec 5th 2012 at 10:06 am 8

@John #2,

That’d be two of us. Wife & I are pretty serious birders, and do our best to track fall departures as well.

9. Daniel J. Drazen Dec 5th 2012 at 10:47 am 9

Caulfield is the kind of student who makes teachers want to have the words “Nobody likes a smartass” tattooed on their forehead.

10. Cidu Bill Dec 5th 2012 at 11:04 am 10

John and Farmer, in hindsight you can identify the last robin before winter: you don’t know it when you’re seeing it, though.

11. John DiFool Dec 5th 2012 at 01:19 pm 11

“Strips like this are half the reason I stopped reading Frazz.”

Overclever desert-dry humor quickly wears my welcome out too.

12. farmer Dec 6th 2012 at 10:35 am 12

@CIDU Bill #10,

Point taken in general, though there are cases where you can be pretty sure for some migratory birds. Robins remain in my area year-round, though some still migrate through, so there’s no such thing for us anyway. But the real migrants often pass through in large masses in conjunction with powerful storm systems, and there are times we’re pretty sure that the passage of a front combined with a big mass of birds means we’ve seen the last of them for the year. Case in point is Snow Geese, which this year passed through our part of the Midwest in one massive pulse, just constantly overhead all night, then never again once the front passed through.

But yes, you never KNOW. Some poorly organized goose with directional issues could still some straggling through, screwing up my neat little story.

13. Adam Dec 6th 2012 at 01:36 pm 13

@ Kamino Neko

THANK YOU! I enjoy the strip and have been reading the archives when I don’t feel like studying, but strip like this one: http://www.gocomics.com/frazz/2004/04/21 leave me wondering why I read stuff that just belittles me.

14. Keera Dec 6th 2012 at 04:51 pm 14

…And then there’s always that migratory bird that doesn’t leave at all.

15. Kamino Neko Dec 7th 2012 at 01:50 am 15

@Adam - it was the strip where he pulled the battery out of the kid’s handheld video game and this was treated as a good thing that made me give it up.