Pregnant Pause

Cidu Bill on Dec 3rd 2012

pregnant.png

Not a CIDU or a LOL… just a flashback to the day I had “the talk” — no, not that talk — with my son and his best friend, explaining to them why they should never mention a woman’s pregnancy unless she mentions it first (after the friend committed the faux pas with a teacher)

Filed in Bill Bickel, Rina Piccolo, Tina's Groove, comics, humor | 18 responses so far

18 Responses to “Pregnant Pause”

1. Kilby Dec 3rd 2012 at 10:19 am 1

What’s with the strange triangle icon (labeled “AdChoices”) that’s blocking the caption in the last panel?

2. Mark M Dec 3rd 2012 at 10:27 am 2

Sounds like one of those “unreasonable outbursts of anger” we see here from time to time. I mean if you bring a book of names for your kitten, you have to know people are going to assume you’re pregnant. Not to mention she’s violating public health laws by bringing the animal in a restaurant.

3. David Dec 3rd 2012 at 12:01 pm 3

The best advice I ever heard was Dave Barry’s line, “Never assume a woman is pregnant unless you can see a baby physically emerging from her body.” Anyway, the “assume someone is pregnant but they really aren’t, and hilarious mixup ensues” thing has been overdone (see link below). This one worked by making the situation so contrived that one would assume that’s the only possibility, so of course she’s not. The punchline was a bit weak, though.

4. blogan Dec 3rd 2012 at 12:26 pm 4

Even after a woman has admitted to being pregnant, don’t assume that is true later. For example, it would be inappropriate the next time you see said admittedly pregnant woman and ask when she is due. She could have already delivered.

Don’t ask how I learned this lesson… :-(

5. Chakolate Dec 3rd 2012 at 01:07 pm 5

When I was fatter and younger I used to get this all the time.

“When are you due?”, someone would say.

If I disliked them, I’d give them the evil eye and coldly say, “I’m not pregnant”, and let them suffer.

If I liked them, I’d pat my belly and say, “Ain’t nobody in here but me!”

Once my hair turned gray I stopped getting the opportunity. ;-)

6. Elyrest Dec 3rd 2012 at 01:30 pm 6

Back in my skinny twenties, while wearing one of those loose floaty tops:

I was asked when the baby was due. Last time I wore that top and I’m sure the last time that cashier asked that question.

7. furrykef Dec 3rd 2012 at 02:31 pm 7

I’m never going to have this problem because I’d never ask “When is the baby due?” in the first place. It’s not the sort of thing I get curious about. I figure if somebody wants me to know, they’ll tell me anyway.

8. Rasheed Dec 3rd 2012 at 03:52 pm 8

I had a fat instructor in college, and the girl that sat next to me thought the instructor was pregnant. She said she wanted to go up and rub her belly. I flat out told her NO (and this is me being a guy), that would be a mistake. I found it funny that women make the same mistake also.

And each time we had this instructor, she looked exactly the same for years.

9. Detcord Dec 3rd 2012 at 05:11 pm 9

I do the same as furrykef - with one exception. As a registerd first-aider, I am … encouraged to ask as some procedures change a bit if there is a baby on board (mainly more caution). I usually know of those who are pregnant in the office (because they tell me), but most of the women (and men) I have assisted were usually in places not in the office. So far, none of the non-office ladies I’ve helped have been pregnant. Whew!

10. Inkwell Dec 3rd 2012 at 06:47 pm 10

Good for you, Rasheed. Even if the woman was pregnant, I don’t know why people are always rubbing pregnant people’s bellies. If you can’t do it to a thin woman without getting thrown out for assault, don’t do it to a fat one.

Anybody touches my belly, I’ll break their freaking fingers.

11. Inkwell Dec 3rd 2012 at 06:50 pm 11

Assault? I meant harassment. I’m tired today.

12. The Vicar Dec 3rd 2012 at 06:53 pm 12

@furrykef:

I think it’s a phatic conversation thing. People aren’t actually interested in when the baby is due, they’re trying to connect with the other person and start chatting. They might as well make a comment about the weather, but since the other person is “obviously” pregnant they lead in with that.

Just remember: an overreliance on meaningless conversational filler will get you a reputation for phatheadedness.

13. Lola Dec 3rd 2012 at 08:55 pm 13

14. LarryLunts@aol.com Dec 3rd 2012 at 10:19 pm 14

Many years ago, I made the this mistake (asking a co-worker about her pregnancy, when she wasn’t actually pregnant). Big mistake. Three or four years later, she was promoted to a position that made her my boss, and she promptly fired me.

15. Meryl A Dec 4th 2012 at 03:16 am 15

on “Mad about you” they did an episode where Paul and his cousin are on a bus and see a nondescript looking woman they presume is pregnant. Paul offers her his seat and they then carry her packages for her. They meet her again and it comes out that they think she is pregnant and she is insulted, especially since she is a man.

16. Kamino Neko Dec 4th 2012 at 03:17 am 16

The comics Lola meant to link to: http://www.gocomics.com/thedoozies/2012/12/03

17. Ian Osmond Dec 4th 2012 at 10:27 am 17

Inkwell: you were right both times — it’s both assault and harassment.

18. Lola Dec 4th 2012 at 06:04 pm 18

Thanks Kamino. It was right when I posted it and then midnight came.