Monday Morning LOLs - December 3, 2012

484912_10151136767578869_1215278628_n.jpg

2012-11-28-buni.gif

speedbump-coverly-moving.jpg

comicladiesman1.png

Lola:

lola-lol-pants.jpg

Filed in Bill Bickel, Buni, Comics That Made Us Laugh Out Loud, Cyanide and Happiness, Dave Coverly, David Willis, Mark Parisi, My Fair Lady, New Yorker, Off the Mark, Shortpacked, Speed Bump, comic strips, comics, humor, lol | 22 responses so far

22 Responses to “Monday Morning LOLs - December 3, 2012”

1. Tom T. Dec 3rd 2012 at 07:19 am 1

The Off The Mark strip would be funnier if one of the guys was wearing glasses.

2. Stan Dec 3rd 2012 at 07:55 am 2

I must confess…I have no idea what’s happening in the last comic with the trousers. None whatsoever. Please explain it to me.

I’m so ashamed.

3. mitch4 Dec 3rd 2012 at 07:59 am 3

The “Speedbump” is rather brilliant!

“Off the Mark” also good. When I read it over the weekend my first reaction was along the lines of Tom T.’s comment here, but then I thought it would distract from the basic magooish problem.

IDU the “Buni” at all.

4. Bob in Nashville Dec 3rd 2012 at 08:05 am 4

Count yourself lucky, Stan. Most of us who do get it would rather not have seen that. Kids these days and their pulled-down pants. Just extending the “trend” to it’s ultimate limit.

5. Ian Osmond Dec 3rd 2012 at 08:19 am 5

mitch4 — pretty simple. He’s over at the mobster’s house, and the mobster offers him a beer. He accepts, and notices that the mobster is keeping the corpse of someone he killed in the fridge, presumably until he can find a good place to dispose of it. And then he’s disturbed by that fact, like one would be.

6. Powers Dec 3rd 2012 at 08:57 am 6

The angel cartoon really didn’t need a caption.

7. Mark M Dec 3rd 2012 at 10:34 am 7

Just wondering, are police lineups a real thing or do they only exist in comic land? I can see being asked to identify a suspect but what would be the motivation for including 3 or 4 innocent people?

8. James Pollock Dec 3rd 2012 at 10:55 am 8

Mark, in the real world, most “lineups” take the form of a photo array (a photo of the suspect along with five other similar-looking people. Alternatively, sometimes you get a “showup”, wherein the cops present a single suspect they’ve just grabbed to the victim and ask “is that the guy?” (or the variation “is this your property” referring to items seized from the guy they just arrested.)

There are some problems with the second type of identification, because people are prone to make mistaken identification, especially cross-racially, and the thought process goes soemthing like “the cops wouldn’t show this guy to me unless they thought he was the guy, so he must be the right guy”.

But yeah, the lineup is a theoretically real thing.

9. padraig Dec 3rd 2012 at 11:32 am 9

Speaking of police, I think the whole “pants at half mast” thing was a clever viral campaign sponsored by police forces countrywide. Have you ever seen a suspect on “COPS” trying to run away in those things? Either they trip over the pants, or they have to run with one hand holding the pants up. The only time they don’t get caught is when the cops chasing them can’t stop laughing.

10. Morris Keesan Dec 3rd 2012 at 12:22 pm 10

Mark M, lineups like this are not just a comics thing. They also exist on television and in movies. See, for example, The Usual Suspects.

11. Morris Keesan Dec 3rd 2012 at 12:25 pm 11

And something like this is the way My Fair Lady should have ended. The happy ending tacked onto Pygmalion when they made it into a musical is a disgrace, and if George Bernard Shaw were alive, he’d be rolling over in his grave.

12. Daniel J. Drazen Dec 3rd 2012 at 12:27 pm 12

The C/H reminded me of the ep from “The Office” where Michael Scott thought that using the handle “LittleChildLover” at the computer dating service would give the impression that he’s a family man.

13. Paperboy Dec 3rd 2012 at 01:14 pm 13

A popular prank with kids is to sneak up behind a guy and pull his pants up.

14. Elyrest Dec 3rd 2012 at 01:22 pm 14

I do like the “My Fair Lady” one. Prof. Higgins was just asking to be whacked. Everything seems to get turned into a romance, though I did like the music from the Lerner & Loewe musical, often to the detriment of a good story.

15. Scott Dec 3rd 2012 at 01:54 pm 15

In support of Morris Keesan, Shaw’s comments on Pygmalion clearly say that Higgins does not get Eliza, and that Eliza and Freddy get married. But I doubt the musical would have run nearly as long as it did with that ending.

16. Paperboy Dec 3rd 2012 at 03:31 pm 16

I always took the ending of “My Fair Lady” as Higgins knowing his need for Eliza is obvious to her, and he just playfully pretends to be back to his demanding attitude. His “independant” facade is cracked and he even has a sense of humor again because of his love for Eliza, the real Eliza, not the demure Lady, but the feisty cockney of the street.

17. Cristiane Dec 3rd 2012 at 08:23 pm 17

The ending of My Fair Lady is exactly the same as that of the 1938 Pygmalion movie (my favorite version - Leslie Howard and Wendy Hiller are truly amazing) - and Shaw won an Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay, so I assume he either wrote it or at least didn’t mind it quite as much as is thought.

18. Meryl A Dec 4th 2012 at 03:21 am 18

Morris Keesan # 11 - Shaw was alive when they wrote the play “My Fair Lady” and had a fit over the ending. Perhaps they made him change the movie ending of “Pygmalion”, but I thought they had not.

For those who don’t know in the original of Pygmalion by Shaw Liza ends up in a small flat married to Freddie.

19. Morris Keesan Dec 4th 2012 at 07:11 pm 19

The important thing about thing about the ending of Pygmalion, in my opinion, is not that Eliza marries Freddie, but that Professor Higgins, who has behaved badly and unrepentantly throughout the play, ends up alone and lonely, as he deserves to.

According to Wikipedia, Shaw died in 1950.
    My Fair Lady opened on Broadway in 1956. Wikipedia says that Shaw, while alive, had refused permission for Pygmalion to be adapted into a musical, and that Lerner and Loewe started working on it only after Shaw’s death. Wikipedia says, about the 1938 film, both that “Shaw retained full control over the adaptation”, and that “Against Shaw’s wishes, a happy ending was added.”

20. Paperboy Dec 4th 2012 at 08:32 pm 20

“According to Wikipedia…” has replaced “They say..” as the opening for dubious information.

21. Elyrest Dec 4th 2012 at 08:33 pm 21

Morris Keesan - I read Alan Jay Lerner’s autobiography, “The Street Where I Live”, and he wrote about Shaw giving the movie rights to Gabriel Pascal. Pascal, and ultimately his estate, worked with others before Lerner & Loewe became involved. Rodgers & Hammerstein spent a couple of years attempting to get a handle on a musical version of Pygmalion before they gave up - they thought Lerner & Loewe were fools to try. *

* I’m pretty sure I’m right about this, but I read the book about 10 yrs ago.

22. Meryl A Dec 11th 2012 at 03:25 am 22

I knew that he had said that the happy ending should not be there and assumed (and you know what that means) that he was still alive when the musical was written. I read my way through Shaw in high school and wrote a senior paper for English on him, but that was decades ago and written by a high school senior who did not like to write papers.