What’s Cooking?

Cidu Bill on Dec 2nd 2012

cooking.png

Cookbook? His i-Pad? Her i-Pad?

No idea what’s going on here without context.

Filed in Arlo and Janis, Bill Bickel, CIDU, Jimmy Johnson, comic strips, comics, humor | 12 responses so far

12 Responses to “What’s Cooking?”

1. Lost in A**2 Dec 2nd 2012 at 02:25 pm 1

I’m guessing it’s her tablet. I don’t remember which brand she has, though.

When I first saw the cartoon, I thought it was messy potholder, though.

2. Sili Dec 2nd 2012 at 02:47 pm 2

Her Ipad. He’s become the luddite in his old age - but apparently he’s now found a use for the thing.

3. Keera Dec 2nd 2012 at 03:32 pm 3

Either she’s getting a new iPad or he’s getting the doghouse.

4. Ron Obvious Dec 2nd 2012 at 04:03 pm 4

iPad (or other tablet) with cookbook app, and one of those covers that allows you to use the tablet hands-free (i.e. which doubles as a stand). So, Arlo has his hands free to stir whatever is in the bowl (sauce?) like a gourmet, which means splattering it all over the place…

Strangely, this seems to be a case of too much accuracy making something harder to understand. Without the stand, the tablet might have been easier to recognize - although it IS hard to draw one of those things by hand so that somebody knows what it is…

Incidentally - another “tablet in the kitchen” joke - a while back there was a “viral” (not really) video going around in Germany showing a father-character - relatively well-known here - chopping something (herbs? vegetables?) in his kitchen. Only after he scrapes the stuff off the cutting board into the pot do we see that the cutting board is an iPad - presumably a gift which he didn’t know the meaning of…

5. Boise Ed Dec 2nd 2012 at 04:37 pm 5

Of course he’s a Luddite. Luddie’s so nice to him!

6. Some Old Guy Dec 2nd 2012 at 08:04 pm 6

He’s a worse cook than I thought if he splatters that far. Don’t see why this was a CIDU. Seemed pretty obvious in historical (i.e., reading the strip daily) context.

7. Mark in Boston Dec 2nd 2012 at 09:01 pm 7

Joke seen on facebook:

I asked her for a newspaper and she said “Don’t be silly; here, use my iPad.”

That spider never knew what hit him.

8. Judge Mental Dec 2nd 2012 at 10:35 pm 8

I think that is Janis’ tablet and Arlo only wants to borrow it for a few more minutes until he is done with what he is cooking. However, I am not sure if the implication that *she* is getting a new tablet (to replace the one that has stained), or *he* is getting a tablet so he isn’t borrowing hers. My best guess is the latter.

9. Bob in Nashville Dec 3rd 2012 at 12:10 am 9

I know who’s getting what, too. She’s getting a new tablet and he’s getting a lump of coal.

10. jajizi Dec 3rd 2012 at 11:26 am 10

He doesn’t have to splatter far. The iPad has a touch screen.

11. DPWally Dec 3rd 2012 at 12:13 pm 11

SOG #6: The question isn’t what’s happening in the strip - that’s obvious. It’s what she means in her comment. What is he getting for Christmas based on this incident?

I vote Nashville Bob’s #9 - lump of coal

12. NitricAcid Dec 3rd 2012 at 03:50 pm 12

She’s getting a new tablet- he’s getting her old one.