Amnesty

Cidu Bill on Dec 2nd 2012

amnesty.gif

“Best deal”?? Doesn’t amnesty just mean you can return overdue books without a fine? I wasn’t aware there’s also a bounty.

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Frazz, Jef Mallett, comic strips, comics, humor | 17 responses so far

17 Responses to “Amnesty”

1. fuzzmaster Dec 2nd 2012 at 12:13 am 1

No, I think the fines he’d rack up at the other libraries for being late to return the books are the point. The best “deal” is that he can return books at the city library without having to pay, so he figures, why not return ALL his books there?

2. James Pollock Dec 2nd 2012 at 12:31 am 2

Sometimes the best deal is the most you get. Sometimes the best deal is the least you pay. Here, the deal is of the second type. If the one library will amnesty your fines away, why not let them amnesty ALL your fines?

3. Cidu Bill Dec 2nd 2012 at 04:29 am 3

Well… because you don’t owe them the fines in the first place? And the libraries whose books you never returned will still want their books and their money and will send little old lady enforcers after you?

4. Soup Dragon Dec 2nd 2012 at 06:13 am 4

Comic strip economics.

5. Mark Dec 2nd 2012 at 07:00 am 5

I guess he figures they’ll sort it out themselves, through the inter-library lending system?

6. heather Dec 2nd 2012 at 07:53 am 6

The kid’s decision here isn’t SUPPOSED to make sense. That’s the point.

7. Jeff S. Dec 2nd 2012 at 10:40 am 7

Soup Dragon has it. Anything else is overthinking the joke, such that it is.

8. Judge Mental Dec 2nd 2012 at 11:19 am 8

I don’t think it is a case of “comic strip economics”, and what Bill said at #3 is correct, but *that* is the joke. The flawed “economics” do not exist in the strip’s world, but the fact that the kid *thought* they did is the gag.

9. James Pollock Dec 2nd 2012 at 03:35 pm 9

Actually, libraries DO have to deal with people turning in books that belong to another library (even though the name and address of the correct library is stamped in about six places in every book.)

All of the libraries in my county are joined in a cooperative, so they share a single catalog and it’s fairly easy to get a book no matter which of the libraries it’s actually in.

10. Jeff S. Dec 2nd 2012 at 07:52 pm 10

Our county has a cooperative library system, even though there are different cities in the county. One of the newer, and nicer, libraries is even open on Sunday. You can check out a book from one and return it to another, and pay any fines at a self service credit card machine.

11. Elyrest Dec 2nd 2012 at 08:55 pm 11

I worked at a library for a few years and people returned books from libraries all over the place - not only other cities/counties, but other states too. This happened often enough that there was a system in place for returning most of the books to where they belonged. That doesn’t mean that they were checked in to our library, but the books started their long trail back home . They acquired transfer sheets and were passed on to the next waylay station….and so on. Eventually a book made it back to it’s home library system where it was then checked in - and that’s when the fine gets added on.

12. Mary Ellen Dec 2nd 2012 at 09:27 pm 12

My library gets books from all over the place too. The ones that are in our network are no big deal, but the others are a pain in the butt to deal with. (Plus, the fine amnesty would only apply to the original library’s books, not ones belonging to any other library, so trying to get the best deal isn’t really going to work.)

13. Morris Keesan Dec 2nd 2012 at 09:27 pm 13

My public library is part of a cooperative with 34 other libraries, most of them public, but including at least two college libraries, with a shared catalog and easy interlibrary loans. Not all of these libraries are in the same county, nor are all of the cities and towns in the county part of this system. Massachusetts has several of these library networks, which cut across county boundaries. Interlibrary loans from a different network in the state are possible, but more complicated, and you have to know how to look things up in the other libraries’ catalogs (or use the not-well-known “virtual catalog” system which does the multiple-catalog “check one and done” lookup for you). But as far as I know, none of the public school libraries are connected to any of these networks. When I was volunteering at my son’s elementary school library, cataloging boxes and boxes of books which had been in storage for a couple of years while the school was being demolished and rebuilt, I came across at least one book that belonged to the public library. I wasn’t able to learn of any official system for transferring books that had been returned to the wrong place, so I just hand-carried the book to the correct library.

14. Elyrest Dec 2nd 2012 at 09:44 pm 14

” I just hand-carried the book to the correct library.”

Morris Keesan - Librarians and book lovers everywhere salute you! What once was lost, now is found.

15. Morris Keesan Dec 2nd 2012 at 10:04 pm 15

On the other hand, I’m sure that the book had long since been marked as “lost”, and paid for by the last borrower.
    At the time, I was also volunteering at the public library, but I was doing repairs, and had no inside knowledge of how the circulation system worked.

16. Meryl A Dec 4th 2012 at 03:27 am 16

As a kid and young adult I was always terribly embarrassed when I returned a book late and had to pay a late fee. As I got older I realized that there was no embarrassment, one is just paying for the extra time.

What always upset me (I was an odd child and now am an odd adult) is that one returns the book and gets no proof of the return. If something happens or someone else picks up the book before the librarian gets to it (they often used to have you just leave them on the counter) and the book disappears before it is checked in or never gets checked in and gets shelved, one has no proof of returning the book.

Ever debate “losing” a book to pay the cost of the book and keep it, because you would like a copy and it is hard to find? (pre Ebay/Amazon)

17. mitch4 Dec 4th 2012 at 08:18 am 17

Back in the days of Blockbuster and Hollywood stores for physical rental of VHS tapes and later DVDs, there would sometimes be hubbub around the checkout desk and extra security measures over people grabbing items left on the desk for check-in. In some cases it was pure theft, but in others a form of line-cutting to get popular short-supply items — though unclear what happens when they get to the checkout desk with it and it doesn’t come up as checked in.