GIGO

Cidu Bill on Dec 1st 2012

gigo.gif
Is Janis complaining about messages from the Facebook management (in which case, I don’t get it), or updates form her Facebook “friends” (in which case I don’t get it)?

Either way, this gets the “Unaccountable Anger” tag, because there’s nothing going on here that should get her anywhere near this agitated.

Filed in Arlo and Janis, Bill Bickel, CIDU, Facebook, Jimmy Johnson, comic strips, comics, humor, unaccountable anger | 19 responses so far

19 Responses to “GIGO”

1. Arthur Dec 1st 2012 at 01:14 am 1

My guess is that she just got dozens of updates from her friends. She hadn’t
    realized how much she’d be getting when she friended all of them. SHE doesn’t
    post trivial things, and didn’t realize her friends would. This would explain
    both her anger and his comment in panel 3.

Note: I’m not on Facebook. The analysis is based on hearsay.

I also like the last panel.

2. Charlene Dec 1st 2012 at 02:15 am 2

I am on Facebook, and Arthur’s right: some people post 30 or 40 things a day, none of which are original or good. And there is no way to know whether your friend is one of those posters or not until you friend him.

3. theironjef Dec 1st 2012 at 04:12 am 3

She is looking right at a bunch of little pictures that say “Most people will scroll right past this, but if you were a child of the 80’s, you’d know what a Teddy Ruxpin is! Click like if you think this disabled girl is beautiful, and here’s a trite stupid saying next to a black and white sketch of a braying socialite”

4. The Bad Seed Dec 1st 2012 at 08:22 am 4

My mom friended a lady from church whom she greatly admired, and one day that lady posted at least once every 30 to 45 minutes all day long, starting at about 9 am: “Waiting for the air conditioner repairman” or “Air conditioner repairman still not here yet” or some slight variation. She was the first person my mom ever unfriended, and she didn’t even like her anymore after that.

5. heather Dec 1st 2012 at 11:13 am 5

I would also guess that there are pages which she has “liked”. A favourite restaurant, or an interest group, etc. They will often post lots of stuff, which is generally interesting to the people who would ‘like’ them in the first place, that’s why we ‘like’ them. Presumably, they’re posting a bunch of stuff that she finds inane, and he reminds her that she’s the one who ‘liked’ them in the first place.

6. CIDU Bill Dec 1st 2012 at 11:30 am 6

The problem is that not only is Janis the family “techie” who’s probably been on Facebook from the start, but SHE’S been shown to post minutiae of her life.

And seriously, honey, calm down before you make yourself sick.

7. padraig Dec 1st 2012 at 11:36 am 7

Also, if you FaceBook friend a page built around an organization or some kind of subject, it seems to invariably attract people who go on it just to post insults to the subject matter and/or its followers. Hello, is this some new definition of “friend”?

8. AMC Dec 1st 2012 at 01:09 pm 8

I do like the pun, “speak truth to glower”.

9. JoeGrunt Dec 1st 2012 at 01:17 pm 9

AMC, that is the only part of the comic I don’t get. What is the pun?

10. zookeeper Dec 1st 2012 at 01:33 pm 10

Joe - it’s brave (foolhardy?) to speak truth to power. The Turks say “Speak the truth with one foot in the stirrups.”

11. Chakolate Dec 1st 2012 at 01:38 pm 11

You all make me so glad I don’t do facebook. Thanks!

12. MikeK Dec 1st 2012 at 04:31 pm 12

JoeGrunt: ‘Speak truth to power’ means having the courage to state the truth even if it offends or angers those who have more power than you do and who may retaliate against you. ‘Glower’ means an angry glare and rhymes with ‘power’.

13. Mark in Boston Dec 1st 2012 at 10:11 pm 13

Facebook is probably most useful to people who have fans and things to sell to them. I’m a fan of the Boston Symphony Orchestra and they have good Facebook updates. One or two a week; a few more when there’s news like this week’s announcement of the Tanglewood season.

14. Mark in Boston Dec 1st 2012 at 10:19 pm 14

George Takei (the original Sulu on Star Trek) has one of the best Facebook pages. Yes, it’s almost all stuff he found and stuff that got forwarded to him, but he only picks the best of it.

Does he count as a Geezer? He’s way older than I am, and much healthier and more active.

15. The Bad Seed Dec 2nd 2012 at 10:09 am 15

I like Facebook because I like to know what’s going on in other people’s lives - and, of course, spread my own news and thoughts - but I tend to be quite a loner by nature, and this makes connecting with people easy. I’m busy and I don’t have enough time (or sometimes, care enough) to call and/or write to a bunch of people all the time. It’s great for big things, of course, but even the small day-to-day stuff helps you really get to know a person. Through Facebook, I have come to know people I only originally knew very peripherally, and found that we have a lot more in common than I ever would have guessed. Sure, there’s a lot of inanity and terrible spelling/grammar, but I try to just skim over that, or just hide those people from my regular news feed if it’s too annoying. But for people like me who don’t naturally build a lot of personal connections, it’s great, and it’s a start.

16. padraig Dec 2nd 2012 at 01:43 pm 16

Mark, George Takei is essentially a gay geezer, he even does promotions for Social Security. But if you’re more active than him you must get pretty tired. Dude’s everywhere.

17. Mark in Boston Dec 2nd 2012 at 09:08 pm 17

That’s what I said; he’s much healthier and more active than I am.

18. Meryl A Dec 4th 2012 at 03:29 am 18

Just gave in and joined Facebook with no info listed for me and nothing to be seen by anyone as husband entered photos in 2 contests from museums and I want to vote for his photos.

19. Cidu Bill Dec 5th 2012 at 05:58 pm 19

Okay, if I could draw, I would definitely do a superhero comic about The Gay Geezer.