Friday Morning Ewww (and more)

Cidu Bill on Nov 30th 2012

Chak Olate wrote “It was an eww for me, and a bit of a LOL too, as my grandson would probably find some of his that way, too.

hotwheels.gif

Is swallowing Hot Wheels cars really something that kids do? Because those things are kind of big to go down a child’s throat, and would be a severe choking hazard if they did. I certainly couldn’t imagine a swallowed Hot Wheels car going unnoticed the same way, say, a swallowed penny might.

Filed in Bill Bickel, Comics That Made Us Laugh Out Loud, Ewww, Hot Wheels, Pardon My Planet, Vic Lee, comic strips, comics, humor, lol | 20 responses so far

20 Responses to “Friday Morning Ewww (and more)”

1. Terry Nov 30th 2012 at 12:12 am 1

It’s preposterous! No self-respecting kid would be caught swallowing anything other than Matchbox.

2. Lola Nov 30th 2012 at 12:14 am 2

At the Mutter Museum in Philadelphia, in the basement is a HUGE cabinet full of glass-topped drawers filled with objects removed from people’s stomachs. Some of them are hard to believe they could have been swallowed but evidently they were.

There’s lots of other really cool stuff there too. I highly recommend it.

3. Matthew Nov 30th 2012 at 01:42 am 3

I can say from experience that even swallowed pennies don’t necessarily go unnoticed. It hurt the whole (long, slow) trip down. I don’t even want to think about a Hot Wheels car.

4. Proginoskes Nov 30th 2012 at 02:54 am 4

Kids? Probably not. Drunken frat boys? Perhaps, if a bet was also involved. (”Duuuuude! It’ll be driving down your esophagus!”)

5. Danny Boy (London Derriere) Nov 30th 2012 at 04:52 am 5

You don’t consider they might have driven up his tunnel?

6. Tom T. Nov 30th 2012 at 06:19 am 6

Yes, maybe the x-ray was a colonoscopy.

7. pepperjackcandy Nov 30th 2012 at 09:16 am 7

I went to a pediatrician once (for a second, or was it third? opinion) who had a case with all of the things he pulled out of the various orifices of his patients over the years. He had a nice coin collection going. Also various sharp things like pins, and a few dried food items (these were taken out of ears and noses).

8. billytheskink Nov 30th 2012 at 10:29 am 8

Maybe the cartoonist got Hot Wheels confused with Micro Machines.

9. Mark M Nov 30th 2012 at 10:37 am 9

I was thinking the same as Danny Boy. Although in retrospect that would certainly interfere with other functions.

10. padraig Nov 30th 2012 at 12:42 pm 10

I can’t imagine some of them Hot Wheels that were tow trucks and converted mini-vans going down so easy.

11. Jeff S. Nov 30th 2012 at 02:23 pm 11

The rule of thumb is, if it can fit through a toilet paper tube, it is an unsafe toy for a child because it can be easily swallowed.

I saw a report just yesterday about unsafe toys seized coming into the country, Most of them had high level of lead, but a few had small parts that could be swallowed. One ‘toy’ they wanted to deem unsafe is Bucky Balls… round Earth magnets. A young girl swallowed 18 of them and they connected together while in different parts of her intestines, causing the walls of her intestines to pinch together. They had to surgically remove them.

12. Jeff S. Nov 30th 2012 at 02:24 pm 12

They wanted to, but couldn’t because Bucky Balls aren’t considered a toy and aren’t marketed to children either.

13. Chakolate Nov 30th 2012 at 05:23 pm 13

I definitely assumed an upward passage, not a downward one. That’s how my grandson got his magnets in there.

Chak

14. Dave in Asheville Nov 30th 2012 at 05:45 pm 14

Chak, grandson, upward, really? Ewww.

I also assumed upward, but not through any personal experience. They actually did this stunt on Jackass, just to mess with the doctor (aka the prank victim) who took the x-ray.

15. Chakolate Nov 30th 2012 at 06:16 pm 15

Yes, Dave, really. He’s autistic, and holes and magnets are two of his obsessive perseverations. It was only a matter of time before he combined them. Sigh. Since they came out a little less easily than they went in, he decided not to do that again.

Kids are always an adventure, aren’t they?

16. Jeff S. Nov 30th 2012 at 08:46 pm 16

I was wrong… it was 37 Bucky Balls. Here is the x-ray –

They formed a circular pattern, however, they were in different parts of her intestines. Some were in her stomach and others were in her small intestine. They pinched everything together and made her very ill.

17. Proginoskes Dec 1st 2012 at 04:14 am 17

@ Tom-T (6), Danny Boy, Mark M: Your post brought back this memory …

(Hover your mouse over the red dot for a bonus panel.)

18. Lola Dec 8th 2012 at 02:52 pm 18

This is the prize for the upcoming 1000th Style Invitational:

Can’t imagine why it made me think of this post.

19. Cidu Bill Dec 8th 2012 at 02:56 pm 19

Lola, I wonder whether he had to get permission from all 100 patients, or whether there was some fine-print on the release they signed before the x-ray that they never dreamed could be interpreted as giving him the right to use the x-ray on a book.

20. Elyrest Dec 8th 2012 at 03:13 pm 20

I have to admit that I tried to read “100 Objects Inserted and Ingested in Places They Shouldn’t Be”. It was rather boring. The pictures were grainy and on cheapish paper which diminished the ability to see the objects. There was also a lack of written material in the book which might have added some interest to the pictures - I never finished it. I think it’s biggest appeal is the subject matter. I thought my sister might like it, but I never even mentioned it to her.