I can’t see a joke here

Cidu Bill on Nov 29th 2012

invisible-moderately.gif

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Jeff Stahler, Moderately Confused, comic strips, comics, humor | 19 responses so far

19 Responses to “I can’t see a joke here”

1. Kilby Nov 29th 2012 at 10:22 am 1

This would have been a great strip for “Garfield without Garfield”.

2. Tom Knapp Nov 29th 2012 at 11:34 am 2

Because he is.

3. fj Nov 29th 2012 at 11:50 am 3

Either he is invisible, or she considers him with such little regard, that she doesn’t even see him when he speaks. I think Tom’s explanation is probably the intended one, but either way, I find it mildly amusing…

4. Judge Mental Nov 29th 2012 at 11:52 am 4

Agree with Tom K. “Why do you treat me like I’m invisible?” is a cliche sometimes used in relationships for the partner who feels he/she is being neglected. In this case however, she has a legitimate reason to treat him that way, because he really *is* invisible.

5. J-L Nov 29th 2012 at 12:13 pm 5

“What if I made a cartoon around a popular idiom rendered literally? Don’t think it’s a good idea? Then you try to come up with a new cartoon 366 days a year!”

6. Scott Nov 29th 2012 at 01:47 pm 6

It would have been funnier if he were drawn as chopped liver. Harder to draw also.

7. Mike Nov 29th 2012 at 01:52 pm 7

Great idea Scott, much funnier. and I think if you just made a lump of brownish something, and the lump was saying “what am I, chopped liver?” people would get it. at least, geezers would get it. does anyone under 85 still say this? (I’m 41 and know the figure of speech but have never actually said it seriously and do not know anyone who has).

8. J-L Nov 29th 2012 at 03:39 pm 8

I remember hearing on a teen sitcom once, “What am I, a chicken sandwich?”

I use that phrase as a response to “Where is everybody?” or “Nobody’s here.” Usually gets a laugh.

9. Mark in Boston Nov 29th 2012 at 06:27 pm 9

What does chopped liver look like when drawn? I mean, I know what it looks like, but if I saw a drawing of it I would probably guess half a dozen other things first.

10. James Pollock Nov 29th 2012 at 07:15 pm 10

The joke isn’t that he’s invisible, it’s that he doesn’t seem to realize that he’s invisible.

11. Keera Nov 29th 2012 at 07:21 pm 11

I just love it when I’m the only one in the office and somebody comes by, asking “Isn’t there anybody here?” and I answer “No” and they leave! :-D

12. mitch4 Nov 30th 2012 at 04:59 am 12

Yes with Pollock #10. Though I might like to add “(to her)” onto both instances of “invisible” — but indeed the main point [I can’t quite call it a joke] is that he thinks he’s employing just a rhetorical question but her answer would have to be a literal Yes.

13. Ooten Aboot Nov 30th 2012 at 08:21 am 13

James Pollock has it at #10. I’ve heard it said that a truly invisible man would also be blind since invisible lenses and retinas would be non-functional. So while he might know that she talks as if he weren’t there, he has no idea how she’s acting otherwise unless she bumps into him.

14. Mark M Nov 30th 2012 at 12:23 pm 14

Keere @ 11 - That’s kind of like when someone at my office uses our instant communicator tool to send me a message “Are you there?”. I usually say no to see their reaction.

15. Mark in Boston Nov 30th 2012 at 11:57 pm 15

We have such an instant communicator tool at our office, but many of use work at home most days, so “Are you there?” is taken to mean “Are you at the office” and “No” is a completely reasonable answer, meaning I’m working from home, and if you go looking for me in my cubicle you’ll find it empty.

16. mr obvious Dec 1st 2012 at 12:49 pm 16

I think the speaker is not invisible, just entirely white that matches the background, so can’t be detected. After all, there is a shadow under the speaker.

17. Mark in Boston Dec 1st 2012 at 10:27 pm 17

That’s the shadow cast by the word balloon.

18. Dave in Boston Dec 2nd 2012 at 08:27 pm 18

Zits did the chopped liver thing some years back, around the end of a brief period where the phrase was having an unexplained wave of sudden popularity. Perhaps 2005ish?

19. Elyrest Dec 2nd 2012 at 08:59 pm 19

Dave in Boston - Chopped liver was once fashionable? Who’d-a-thunk it.