Stadium

Cidu Bill on Nov 28th 2012

stadium.gif
This appeared a little more than three weeks after Sandy hit the East Coast. Is it a reference to that? Either way, I can’t find the joke.

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, In the Bleachers, Steve Moore, comic strips, comics, humor | 8 responses so far

8 Responses to “Stadium”

1. Kilby Nov 28th 2012 at 07:56 am 1

Instead of the “wave”, the audience is being encouraged to “rock the boat”.

The artist has used all of his minimal drawing skills to enhance the illusion with lighting stanchions that are intended to appear as masts, a scoreboard that is supposed to mimic a sail, and a scribbled parking lot that is probably supposed to look like water.

2. Judge Mental Nov 28th 2012 at 10:29 am 2

I think this is just an alternative take on “the wave”.

3. The Vicar Nov 28th 2012 at 05:08 pm 3

If you look closely, the stadium is, er, coming unmoored at the closer end. They’re trying to tip it over by shifting their weight.

4. J-L Nov 28th 2012 at 05:40 pm 4

At first sight, it seems like the cartoonist is poking fun of how a stadium (with its lights and scoreboard) looks a bit like an old sailing ship (with its sails).

So, of course, it’s only natural to put a stadium in the middle of the ocean. (An ocean with purple water, no less. But that could be fault of the colorist.)

The word balloon is only there to provide some composition to the picture, and some sort of punchline to hint that that’s the whole joke. Without the word balloon, we’d be left scratching our heads trying to figure out just what exactly it is we’re seeing. (Not that we’re not doing that already — we’d be even more confused without it.)

5. Boise Ed Nov 28th 2012 at 07:02 pm 5

I had thought the surroundings were the parking lot, and one end of the stadium was rising from the weight shift. Now, though, I think it’s water. No way to know for sure, though, unless cartoonist Moore were to tell us. I like one of the comments there: “We will, we will ROCK YOU!”

6. Folly Nov 29th 2012 at 01:15 am 6

When I first saw this, I thought they were trying to cheat. As in someone was trying to kick a field goal or something.

7. Jason Nov 29th 2012 at 10:55 am 7

I think it could be viewed in several ways:
    * As Escapism, the comrade re and teamwork that suggests that we can gather together through sports (specifically football) and survive whatever disaster the world throws at us.

* All of the negative stories about sports programs (Penn State, Dallas owner, etc.) are going to eventually sink the ship (the sport itself).
    *The entrances to the stadium may suggest the behavior of fans as the cause of the sinking ship. They could also say ticket prices are sinking the ship.
    *For Sports Head Coaches: Win or Get Fired! The sail/scoreboard is the driving force that steers the ship. The voice we hear is the Head Coach.

8. DPWally Nov 29th 2012 at 01:33 pm 8

I see a combination of 3 things:

An extension of the wave
    Many stadiums look like ships
    What we used to attempt on swing sets*

*except in my yard, my father set the feet in concrete so it wouldn’t rock