Anybody want to take a shot at this one?

Cidu Bill on Nov 27th 2012

shooting.png

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Cyanide and Happiness, comic strips, comics, humor | 19 responses so far

19 Responses to “Anybody want to take a shot at this one?”

1. Rick Nov 27th 2012 at 12:17 am 1

He laughed so hard at his joke he pulled the trigger on his gun which was in an unfortunate position. (It’s hard to tell, but in panel 4 the gun’s firing.)

2. Lost in A**2 Nov 27th 2012 at 12:19 am 2

And the bullet is also visible in that panel.

3. AMC Nov 27th 2012 at 12:37 am 3

Typical “joke, then off on a tangent” C&H comic.

4. Proginoskes Nov 27th 2012 at 02:37 am 4

You see, Bill, the word “illegal” contains the word “eagle” phonetically inside of it …

Oh, you meant the last two panels. The comic strip writer ended two panels early. See AMC (#3)

5. skaloop Nov 27th 2012 at 03:05 am 5

Isn’t it part of the C&H depressing comic week?

Anyway, the guy was so keen on shooting eagles that he shot one through his head.

Or, he was so disgusted with his own pun that he shot himself and just so happened to kill one more eagle by accident.

6. DemetriosX Nov 27th 2012 at 05:19 am 6

Wow, I didn’t even see the eagle in the last panel until skaloop mentioned it. My take he’s doing something illegal or as he puts it ill-eagle. This makes him an eagle of sorts so he shoots himself. Getting the real eagle is just a note of extra absurdity.

7. Tom T. Nov 27th 2012 at 08:07 am 7

Today’s depressing comic reminds us that someday C&H will officially end. This is strip #3000, by the way, so I suppose it’s possible that this really is their way of telling us that they’re hanging it up.

8. pepperjackcandy Nov 27th 2012 at 09:26 am 8

At first I thought that the eagle had shot back, but then I saw the eagle in the last panel and had to revise that theory.

Also, that’s a very small eagle in that last panel. Or it has bent the laws of physics (not to mention geography!) and managed to be both right there next to the guy in green *and* hundreds of feet away at the same time.

9. Judge Mental Nov 27th 2012 at 12:33 pm 9

Most of this has been put forth already, but to recap how I interpreted it:
    Panel 5: green shirt guy dies
    Panel 6: exit-wound bullet kills eagle

I “sort of” get the humor in panel 6 that he still wound up shooting the bald eagle, but I just didn’t understand why he shot himself in the first place in panel 4. While one of the two arguments presented here is probably “right” (laughed so hard it was an accident, disgusted with own pun) neither is a very satisfying explanation. Force to pick, I would opine that it was the result of the normal reflex of putting one’s hand to his mouth when he laughs.

@PepperJack #8. The eagle is very small relative to the size of their heads. If you compare it to their overall height, it is lot closer to being to scale. It is one of the hazards of drawing such crude characters. (I do agree however that the net result is an eagle that looks too small)

10. Jeff S. Nov 27th 2012 at 02:15 pm 10

I think he accidentally shot himself while laughing. He is still smiling in the last two panels even though he is dead. It was a helluva shot though…

11. Mark M Nov 27th 2012 at 03:25 pm 11

Are we sure it was the exiting bullet that killed the bird or just that it was sick, thus an ill eagle? That doesn’t make any more sense than explanations already given but maybe improves the pun.

12. Ooten Aboot Nov 27th 2012 at 06:20 pm 12

Shooting eagles the hard way.

13. DPWally Nov 27th 2012 at 07:06 pm 13

He was so impressed with his extraordinary pun that he knew life couldn’t get any better, so he ended it with a (undeserved) smile.

Or it’s what skaloop #5 said.

The pun, the way it’s delivered here, is a written one that doesn’t make sense when spoken. That’s probably intentional, though I’m not sure why.

14. Mark in Boston Nov 27th 2012 at 11:08 pm 14

What’s the difference between unlawful and illegal?

15. Proginoskes Nov 28th 2012 at 03:50 am 15

Judge Mental wrote:
    “Panel 4: green shirt guy shoots himself in mouth, bullet exits thru back of head
    Panel 5: green shirt guy dies
    Panel 6: exit-wound bullet kills eagle”

The angle isn’t right. The green shirt guy’s head went back and to the left … back and to the left …

I think there was a second shooter on the grassy knoll.

16. John DiFool Nov 28th 2012 at 09:33 am 16

[Sign #326351256 of this week]

[Mumbles and stumbles away from thread…]

[Just ignore me, very inside joke…]

17. Mark in Boston Nov 28th 2012 at 05:59 pm 17

Unlawful is against the law. Illegal is a sick bird.

18. Molly J Nov 29th 2012 at 04:42 am 18

This one was actually an LOL for me, but I have a rather dark sense of humor.

In my mind, what’s funny about this comic is the timing. It would almost work better as an animation. Picture it aloud in your head: bad joke…hahahahahaha!BANG!!..flop………………plop.

Well, I thought it was funny anyway.

19. Phred Dec 2nd 2012 at 04:49 am 19

I’ll take a shot (pardon the expression) at explaining this:

The shooter KNEW he was going to shoot the eagle before panel 4. When the eagle came within range, he pointed the gun directly at it and fired. It was completely irrelevant that his own head happened to be in the way.

Hey, I didn’t say it was a GOOD shot on my part. But I had to try.