Friday Morning Awww

Cidu Bill on Nov 23rd 2012

ham.png

Filed in Awww, Bill Bickel, Thanksgiving, comic strips, comics, humor | 9 responses so far

9 Responses to “Friday Morning Awww”

1. igeek Nov 23rd 2012 at 01:41 pm 1

I never really cared for mom.

Really?

That’s your third helping.

2. Keera Nov 23rd 2012 at 04:16 pm 2

LOL, igeek!

3. The Vicar Nov 24th 2012 at 12:59 am 3

Yay! Something Positive! Strip #13 in my bookmarks list, and one of my favorites! (Of 117. I haven’t weeded lately, but I follow a few too many comics.)

Will the Catgirl sequence ever show up as an Eeew? (Or, for my money, the “Davan’s Dream Featuring Pepito’s face” one? Ick.)

4. Singapore Bill Nov 24th 2012 at 01:28 am 4

My mother died on Thanksgiving (the real one, in October) a number of years ago. It’s a sweet comic.

5. DemetriosX Nov 24th 2012 at 07:56 am 5

It’s a very sweet comic, but it feels out of character for Davan. Maybe not so much the cooking ham on Thanksgiving because it reminds him of his mother, but openly admitting it, even to PeeJee. I would have expected some snarky comment dissing the whole concept of the holiday. I’ve noticed Davan mellowing quite a bit over the last couple of years. Makes me wonder if Randy (the cartoonist) is too.

6. MollyJ Nov 24th 2012 at 09:23 am 6

We never have turkey on Thanksgiving, because it’s just the five of us on the day and none of us much likes turkey. We had crab legs and shrimp this year.

Makes me wonder if my kids (teens and early 20’s now) will go on to have turkey when they form their own families.

7. Morris Keesan Nov 24th 2012 at 03:36 pm 7

Two is too small a sample to generalize from, but I see a pattern emerging between the people in the strip, and MollyJ in the comments: people who don’t eat turkey on Thanksgiving eat treyf instead.
    (As a young child, I thought (without thinking about it too much) that Thanksgiving was a Jewish holiday — we got together with extended family, and ate Jewish food; the absence of any religious content to the holiday never occurred to me.)

8. MollyJ Nov 24th 2012 at 10:12 pm 8

Interesting, Morris. Other years we’ve had sushi or duck, though we have had ham, too. Not to ruin your theory or anything.

9. Meryl A Nov 29th 2012 at 02:58 am 9

Surveys used to say that everyone ate the same thing - turkey and all the trimmings. Then someone thought to ask what trimmings and found out that everyone is different, particularly by ethnic group. My husband’s family used to serve manicotti before the main course. My aunt was kosher and we would go to a kosher deli, where my sisters and I would upset the staff by ordering corned beef, as mom often made turkey at home, but we never had corned beef. Due to the differences in our religions the only holiday both families wanted us for was Thanksgiving. Our solution was to make Thanksgiving dinner (for 25 years before we had to stop). We made “colonial” dinner as we are 1770’s reenactors and did not want to deal with which dinner to make. I cooked all from scratch except the turkey. Husband likes commercially cooked turkey better, so we found a place that sold it cooked with pickup on Thanksgiving. They still want the receipes for my vegetable soup and Venetians (rainbow cookies).

On ABC World News Now (the overnight show when you are all sleeping) they mentioned a survey that in the north turkey is served, in the south turkey and ham are served together, in the north pumpkin and apple pie is served, in the south sweet potato and apple pie is served.