Cidu Bill on Nov 22nd 2012

turducken.png

Filed in Bill Bickel, Comics That Made Us Laugh Out Loud, Dave Farley, Doctor Fun, Thanksgiving, comic strips, comics, humor, lol | 8 responses so far

8 Responses to “Thanksgiving Comic That Made Us Laugh Out Loud Back When Dave Farley Was Still Drawing Doctor Fun”

1. Kilby Nov 22nd 2012 at 09:31 am 1

For the uninitiated, it would appear to be simply a sexual innuendo (an avian menage a trois that ends up being a one night stand), but as gourmands will know, a “turducken” is actually an existing (but hardly refined) method to turn three otherwise delicious roasts into a single cannonball of meat.

2. Kilby Nov 22nd 2012 at 09:59 am 2

P.S. I would like to add that the initial four letters in the name of this gastronomic abomination were certainly not intentional, but are nevertheless highly appropriate.

3. Kilby Nov 22nd 2012 at 10:14 am 3

P.P.S. The only reason that I immediately knew what this comic was talking about is that I learned about it right here at CIDU: http://comicsidontunderstand.com/wordpress/2011/11/24/ghost-of-cidu-past/
    If I had mentioned this link in my first post (@1), I could have dispensed with the P.S. (@2), because I made effectively the same comment back then.

4. mitch4 Nov 22nd 2012 at 10:42 am 4

Kilby is granting the cartoon a lot of leeway in supposing it works as a joke or innuendo even “for the uninitiated” [that is, those who don’t know what a turducken is]. I suppose the three-in-sa-bed and the cigarette are something of a giveaway, but only with the cooking term do we get them each being inside the next.

Is there still anyone who didn’t know the term “turducken” before seeing this, and can testify to how clear or puzzling the cartoon was? …. I’m not expecting many …

5. Kilby Nov 22nd 2012 at 10:50 am 5

@ mitch4 (4) - The phrase “making a…” calls to mind “making a baby”, so I think the sexual connotation is implicit. As a matter of fact, I didn’t remember what a turducken really was until after I had re-parsed the word as TUR(key)+DUCK+(chick)EN.

6. mitch4 Nov 22nd 2012 at 11:00 am 6

Hmm, could be. The way I took “making a …” was more like “making the beast with two backs”.

7. zookeeper Nov 22nd 2012 at 11:13 am 7

Okay, a real LOL.

8. The Bad Seed Nov 22nd 2012 at 11:15 am 8

Wow, I never thought I’d say this, but I really do miss “Doctor Fun”!