Is there actually a joke here, or is today’s comic just a turkey?

Cidu Bill on Nov 22nd 2012

ba121121.gif

Filed in Baldo, Bill Bickel, CIDU, Thanksgiving, comic strips, comics, humor | 11 responses so far

11 Responses to “Is there actually a joke here, or is today’s comic just a turkey?”

1. Kamino Neko Nov 22nd 2012 at 08:16 am 1

It’s just Tia Carmen being Tia Carmen. She’s always saying things like this that make no logical sense to anybody but her - it’s very similar, in fact, to another recent strip, where she’s talking to Baldo about one of her uncles (for those that don’t read, one of the regular bits is Tia Carmen telling stories about her family while showing Baldo or Gracie the family album).

Tia Carmen: ‘If he were alive today, he’d be very famous.’
    Baldo: ‘For what?’
    [beat panel]
    Tia Carmen: ‘For being 128 years old.’

2. Kilby Nov 22nd 2012 at 09:40 am 2

I will admit that there were years when I pawed through the frozen carcasses looking for the “ideal” bird, but my objective was usually trying to find an appropriate weight (since you can hardly judge the quality of a bird wrapped in opaque white plastic). Unfortunately, the standard deviation of the weights of industrially produced fowl is extremely small. They all tended to be within a half-pound of the average.

Nevertheless, I heartily agree with Bill’s summation: this cartoon is definitely a turkey. That, however, is hardly an unusual occurrence for Baldo.

3. turquoisecow Nov 22nd 2012 at 12:18 pm 3

She has absolutely no idea what qualifies a turkey to be perfect, other than it must not be alive. The rejection of the other obviously dead turkeys was just on gut feelings, but now, forced to explain her motivations, the lack of life is the only thing she can say for sure.

4. Elyrest Nov 22nd 2012 at 01:21 pm 4

turquoisecow has it. She knows by instinct, but all she can add is that it’s dead. Pretty small turkey she’s got there - looks more like a chicken.

5. Ted in Fort Lauderdale Nov 22nd 2012 at 02:51 pm 5

I’m pretty sure that there has never been an actual joke in Baldo, at least not one that wasn’t moldy long before I was born.

6. Joshua Nov 22nd 2012 at 04:05 pm 6

The most baffling Baldo ever was this one, in which Baldo’s boss Mr. Rod expects Baldo to be happy that the lazy, incompetent employee Joey is getting promoted. (Mr. Rod’s motivations were never explained.)

7. Mark in Boston Nov 22nd 2012 at 09:50 pm 7

My brother told me he shot his very first turkey yesterday.

All the other people at the supermarket freaked out when he did it.

8. jayjaybear Nov 23rd 2012 at 03:31 am 8

#6: On reading the linked Baldo, I think the motivation is supposed to be that Joey is WHITE, as opposed to Hispanic Baldo. Mr. Rod just can’t come right out and say that.

9. jayjaybear Nov 23rd 2012 at 03:31 am 9

Unless, of course, Joey isn’t white. That’s a hole in my theory, because I’m not really familiar with Baldo (the strip) or Baldo’s co-workers.

10. pepperjackcandy Nov 24th 2012 at 02:26 pm 10

Maybe Joey is sleeping with the boss?

11. potato Dec 1st 2012 at 12:56 pm 11

re “linked baldo”, “he’s family” came to my mind.