“Real Estate Ad”???

Cidu Bill on Nov 21st 2012

ad.gif

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Close to Home, John Deering, comic strips, comics, humor | 18 responses so far

18 Responses to ““Real Estate Ad”???”

1. Pete Nov 21st 2012 at 02:10 am 1

The photo showed the stretch of sidewalk, with a big house in the background. The guy thought he was buying the house, but only bought the sidewalk. Where he now lives.

2. PeterW Nov 21st 2012 at 02:27 am 2

I’m not sure why, but the image isn’t displaying for me in the page. I was able to find the address of the image in the page source and load the image by itself, but I can’t see it in the page.

3. Rammy M Nov 21st 2012 at 07:08 am 3

comicsidontunderstand.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/ad.gif

the P tags seem messed up for the link, but I would think the image should still show, unlinked

4. Carl Nov 21st 2012 at 07:51 am 4

That’s some seriously bad cartooning there. The “real estate agent” blends into the silhouette of the building behind and is shaded so dark I thought at first he was meant to be a vampire. The car in the foreground is 60 years old–notice the fins?

And why is the sky light green?

5. furrykef Nov 21st 2012 at 09:10 am 5

If you have an ad blocker, it may be mistaking the filename “ad.gif” as an actual ad.

6. furrykef Nov 21st 2012 at 09:13 am 6

Carl — colors vary from monitor to monitor. On my display it looks like a very gray blue to me.

And surely some people still drive cars from the 60s. There’s no excuse for the real estate agent blending into the background, though…

7. Powers Nov 21st 2012 at 09:41 am 7

Yep, I had to put in an exception in AdBlock Plus to see the image.

8. Dan W Nov 21st 2012 at 09:54 am 8

This really confused me at first. It looked like he was sitting at a sidewalk cafe, reading a menu. The guy on the right looked like a waiter - the dark shading made it look like he was wearing an apron. But he’s also holding a briefcase. I had to stare at it a long time before it became clear what I was looking at.

9. Mark M Nov 21st 2012 at 11:06 am 9

This is a title I don’t understand. Is Bill questioning that any real estate agent would use an ad?

10. MikeK Nov 21st 2012 at 01:06 pm 10

Real estate ads which include a photo of the broker are notorious for using older photos in which the broker was much younger. I don’t know if this plays into what’s going on here or not.

11. Cidu Bill Nov 21st 2012 at 02:54 pm 11

Great catch, furrykef. I never would have thought of that. I’ll make sure in the future that I avoid using graphics names like nigerianviagraspam.gif.

(you would think, though, that advertisers would catch on and not label graphics “ad.gif” anymore)

12. Cidu Bill Nov 21st 2012 at 02:55 pm 12

I’m with Dan: I thought this was a sidewalk cafe, which is why “real estate ad” didn’t make any sense to me.

13. Keera Nov 21st 2012 at 04:08 pm 13

Speaking of misleading: The rage in Norway last year was to spot the same white, puffy clouds in a blue sky in completely unrelated real estate photos (especially conspicuous for properties in the rainiest part of the country.) This year it’s spot which four stock images is used as a sky.

14. Dyfsunctional Nov 21st 2012 at 04:56 pm 14

Re #6: I’ve noticed that humans perceive colors between green and blue in oddly subjective ways. Colors like turquoise, aqua and cyan can be variously described as either green or blue by two people looking together at the same object in person. Some languages, I think I remember reading, don’t even have separate words for “green” and “blue.”

15. Karl Nov 21st 2012 at 05:44 pm 15

The above explanations make much more sense than I made of this when I first saw it. I also thought of a sidewalk cafe and thought he was talking to the building. I figured it was some take off on the pictures on dating sites never matching the reality.

16. Todd Nov 21st 2012 at 10:54 pm 16

I think it’s that the house the man purchased no longer exists; it’s an empty lot. But the ad showed the house as it used to be. But who actually buys a house without looking at the property before making an offer?

I think Deering is another of those cartoonists who’s work should be banned from CIDU, as he’s not a very good artist, and he does not seem very good at getting his point across. (I could be wrong about getting his point across, since I don’t read his strip since I can’t stand the art.)

17. James Pollock Nov 22nd 2012 at 06:36 am 17

Wait, I think the credits are off. Close to Home is done by John McPherson. John Deering does “Strange Brew”.
    Since it’s signed by Deering, I’m going to go with this is a Strange Brew, and not a Close to Home.

18. Meryl A Nov 23rd 2012 at 02:59 am 18

Todd #16 -

Sometimes people buy houses where they do not live and have to do it long distance.