Cidu Bill on Nov 16th 2012

drinks.gif

(because the “angel” comic turned out to be too easy)

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Pardon My Planet, Vic Lee, comic strips, comics, humor | 13 responses so far

13 Responses to “Okay, I guess I understand what she’s saying, but I have no idea what she’s talking about”

1. James Pollock Nov 16th 2012 at 02:45 am 1

Because “no thanks” isn’t humiliating enough.

2. Kilby Nov 16th 2012 at 03:55 am 2

Do we really need to spell this one out? Ms. Lohan has an alcohol problem, from which she is (presumably) recovering. The economy has a money problem, from which it is (we hope) also recovering. As long as Economy > Lohan holds true (which is admittedly not a very high goal), then the lady here assumes that she will have enough fluid capital to repel the advances of slow moving barflies.

3. Cidu Bill Nov 16th 2012 at 04:45 am 3

Yes, Kilby, but the nation’s recovery doesn’t necessarily correlate to whether she personally can pay for her own drinks. It might just as easily correlate to whether he can pay for her drinks.

So as I said, I understand the separate references she’s making, but not how they come together to make a single coherent statement.

4. Kilby Nov 16th 2012 at 05:43 am 4

I think her premise holds together well enough to serve as an excuse to fend off his advances. It’s not like anyone’s paycheck is pegged linearly to the Dow Jones Industrials average, but there is an implied relationship, perhaps something along the lines of a “Heaviside step function” (if the economy tanks below a certain limit, then her income will suddenly decrease to zero, because she won’t have a job at all).

5. mitch4 Nov 16th 2012 at 09:24 am 5

The woman is a regular character, and not particularly a jerk. So it’s peculiar to see her getting so elaborate in her refusal, instead of simply declining, as James’s #1 suggests. Maybe the guy has been persistently bothersome for a while.

6. erikau Nov 16th 2012 at 09:26 am 6

Kilby has it.

Lindsay Lohan has not been successful in her (court ordered) attempts at ‘recovery’ from her addiction–you could say she seems to have failed completely (and spectacularly).

Fortunately for the rest of us, the US’s attempt to recover from its economic meltdown appears to be more successful than Lindsay’s attempts to stay sober.

So, unless the economic recovery has crashed and burned like Ms. L’s rehab attempts, she can afford to buy her own drinks.

7. fj Nov 16th 2012 at 10:47 am 7

Kilby has it in #2, and references to Oliver Heaviside always make me smile.

As far as mitch4’s reply is concerned, yes she is a regular character (her name is “Mia”), and while I would agree she is not particularly a jerk, she can be… uh… rather refreshingly honest, particularly when it comes to dating. And she does posess a a certain sardonic wit. In addition, Mia shooting down a guy at the bar who has been hitting on her has been a recurring theme in the strip. Vic Lee has described her this way: “Mia tends to be the sober voice of honesty and reason in the relationship department, which is why she is never in one.”

Here’s more on the character: http://blog.dailyink.com/2012/07/27/supporting-cast-mia-lee-from-pardon-my-planet/

8. James Pollock Nov 16th 2012 at 01:42 pm 8

Count the glasses in front of them.
    Then ponder, if SHE’S intoxicated, she can’t really be expected to make sense, and if HE’S intoxicated, it really doesn’t matter if she makes sense.

9. arvy Nov 16th 2012 at 06:18 pm 9

Not that it explains the comic any better, but I can’t help but think the guy is supposed to be Alan Greenspan. http://static1.businessinsider.com/image/4c2cc4d17f8b9acb46240200/alan-greenspan.jpg

10. Elyrest Nov 16th 2012 at 10:43 pm 10

arvyy - You’re right - it looks just like Alan Greenspan.

11. fj Nov 17th 2012 at 09:13 am 11

@Arvy, #9
    I laughed harder at that than any comic I’ve seen in quite a while!

12. Meryl A Nov 23rd 2012 at 03:26 am 12

He has said can I buy you a drink? She is basically saying if I want a drink I can buy my own, buzz off.

13. Dougy Dec 16th 2012 at 01:20 am 13

If that’s supposed to be Alan Greenspan, then this is hilarious. If not, and it’s just some random guy, then it’s ridiculously rude.

But, it really all makes perfect sense with Greenspan in it, and reading his name actually gave me a “Hah!” kind of moment.