Bonus Pre-Christmas LOL

Cidu Bill on Nov 16th 2012

clearance.gif

Filed in Arlo and Janis, Christmas, Comics That Made Us Laugh Out Loud, Jimmy Johnson, comic strips, comics, humor, lol | 13 responses so far

13 Responses to “Bonus Pre-Christmas LOL”

1. Soup Dragon Nov 16th 2012 at 08:02 am 1

LOL for you, CIDU for me. Arlo griping about early Christmas sale is a common enough A&J theme, but “clearance sale?” Is Arlo afraid there will be no decorations left come December?

2. Powers Nov 16th 2012 at 08:23 am 2

No, the question is why the store is trying to clear out Christmas merchandise before most of the country has even gotten started on decorating.

3. Lost in A**2 Nov 16th 2012 at 08:29 am 3

No, “afraid” is not the right word. Clearance sales are used to move outdated inventory to make room for new stuff. Christmas decorations are on clearance because the marketers have moved on: Christmas is over.

4. Soup Dragon Nov 16th 2012 at 08:42 am 4

Ah, I understood Arlo as asking a bona fide question, not stating the type of sale. I agree that does improve the joke…. But there are many reasons for clearance sales, eg. the store is going out of business or relocating.

5. mitch4 Nov 16th 2012 at 09:18 am 5

Oh, okay … I was stuck on a potential ambiguity of “on sale”, meaning either “available for purchase” or “discounted in price”. [Generally “for sale” is used for the first and “on sale” for the second, but not strictly, and you can sometimes in local TV commercials hear the equivalent of required small print saying there are no reduced prices.]

And on that reading, “clearance sale” could be just a disambiguation.

6. heather Nov 16th 2012 at 10:39 am 6

I think you’re actually correct with that, Mitch. He said “on sale” in the second panel. Given the seasonal context, we all — Janis included — assume he means “for sale; available in stores.” But he actually meant on *discount*.

And that’s part of the joke — the reversal of expectations.

Plus, we’re all used to the “Christmas stuff in the stores already???” trope. He subverts the trope by saying it’s gone even a step further… Christmas is actually ‘over’.

7. turquoisecow Nov 16th 2012 at 08:45 pm 7

If the marketers are done with Christmas, why is the radio about to start playing non-stop Christmas tunes in the next few days? I WISH they were done with Christmas.

8. guero Nov 17th 2012 at 02:20 am 8

I got the joke just fine. What I don’t understand is, presumably Janis is preparing some sort of salad in the third panel, but what is she doing in the last panel? Is she stuffing greens in her mouth to stifle a groan? Testing the arugula for freshness? Inquiring minds want to know.

9. Soup Dragon Nov 17th 2012 at 07:46 am 9

Janis is just tasting the lettuce (or arugula, or whatever) as she’s preparing the salad. Perfectly normal, and one of Jimmy’s small artwork tricks to make A&J appear like “real” human beings.

10. Elyrest Nov 17th 2012 at 11:31 am 10

I think this might work a little bit better if Janis had a slight shocked/surprised look on her face. That would be the tell that Arlo is right about the Christmas stuff being on clearance.

11. amo Nov 17th 2012 at 11:53 am 11

I’m with Guero. I got the joke just fine but I didn’t get why Janis was shoving a whole handful of lettuce in her mouth. It seems like an excessive way to taste something.

12. Detcord Nov 18th 2012 at 06:21 am 12

I have to agree with Guero(8) and amo(11) - though Soup Dragon(9) has a point. Maybe Jimmy’s making it more real than “Soup” suggests and has given Janice a compulsive eating disorder? Only, in her case, instead of making her eat huge amounts of fatty or sweet foods, he has her eating lettuce by the fistful. This would explain why she’s still the same size she was before Gene was born. It might also explain why she hasn’t turned to greet him as her fetish is covert.

Just food for thought ;)

13. Meryl A Nov 23rd 2012 at 03:24 am 13

About a decade ago I walked into Sears 2 days before Christmas and the “after holiday” sale had started. Now it seems to start everywhere the day after the stuff goes in the store in Sept. If one waits for December 1 all the items have been closed out.