1958 Called…

Cidu Bill on Nov 14th 2012

liberace.gif

Um… even Mom might be too young to know who Liberace was.

Filed in Adam at Home, Hey Geezers! Comics!, Liberace, comic strips, comics, humor | 23 responses so far

23 Responses to “1958 Called…”

1. Rainey Nov 14th 2012 at 10:08 am 1

What would be so special about Halloween if it occured every day?

2. Kilby Nov 14th 2012 at 11:17 am 2

The effect of pumping that much sugar into a toddler’s bloodstream is pretty well represented by the wild-eyed stares seen above. It’s not exactly like freebasing speed, but there are some similarities.

P.S. For a teacher, November 1st is one of the most arduous days in the entire school calendar.

3. James Pollock Nov 14th 2012 at 11:22 am 3

For the modern student, Liberace was Lady Gaga before Elton John was.

4. Kamino Neko Nov 14th 2012 at 11:56 am 4

It’s hard to tell how old they are, of course, but I don’t gather that Adam and Laura are that much younger than me, and growing up in the 80s, I certainly knew who he was, from stuff like his guesting on the Muppet Show (which originally aired in 1978, the year after I was born, but the Muppet Show was replayed a lot in the 80s).

5. Elyrest Nov 14th 2012 at 12:32 pm 5

There is a Liberace movie in production right now with Michael Douglas as Liberace. Maybe seeing a press release about that inspired the comic. It is a dated reference, but maybe Laura watched Liberace with her grandmother, when Laura was a little girl, and loved him because of the memories. Just giving her a little backstory.

6. Paperboy Nov 14th 2012 at 01:11 pm 6

I’m with Elyrest; it’s a movie tie-in.
    (also, Liberace was spoofed on SNL the last couple years in the “Vincent Price Halloween Special” skits)

7. Darren Nov 14th 2012 at 02:04 pm 7

I assume Liberace is firmly resident as a meme, even by those who have never seen him.

Heck, I remember my first knowledge of him was asking my parents about what Bugs Bunny was doing with a funny talk and a candelabra on a piano.

Now why she’d actually be watching Liberace is a separate question. :)

8. Paperboy Nov 14th 2012 at 02:47 pm 8

Liberace’s “I’ll cry all the way to bank” taunt, though altered these days, lives on.

9. DemetriosX Nov 14th 2012 at 02:49 pm 9

Laura might also be old enough to remember Dave Thomas’s Liberace bit on SCTV. But, yeah, this is definitely geezer territory. I just turned 50 a couple of months ago and I barely remember him. I have to say I like James Pollock’s definition @3. There’s a certain amount of truth there.

10. pepperjackcandy Nov 14th 2012 at 05:05 pm 10

Things like James Pollock’s comment at #3 makes me wish this site has a “like” button.

James: May I pass this on to my Facebook flist?

11. Lydia Nov 14th 2012 at 05:12 pm 11

I’m 25 and my husband’s 29; he was Liberace for Halloween a couple years ago. Everyone (including folks a lot older than us) asked if he was supposed to be Elton John though.

12. Mark in Boston Nov 14th 2012 at 07:58 pm 12

Today’s Liberace is named Cameron Carpenter. Look him up.

13. Ian Osmond Nov 14th 2012 at 08:27 pm 13

Mark: if you have to look him up, he’s not Liberace. One of Liberace’s defining characteristics was ubiquity.

14. Christine Nov 15th 2012 at 10:10 am 14

My daughter is much younger than Clayton & Katy, but I (vaguely) know who Liberace was.

15. padraig Nov 15th 2012 at 10:34 am 15

Kids who see video of Elton John back in the day probably ask, “Did Cee-Lo Green used to be white?”

16. Inkwell Nov 15th 2012 at 01:03 pm 16

No such thing as being too young to be a fan of something old. I ended up becoming a fan of a few old celebrities after first learning about them on the Muppet Show (which is itself way before my time).

In general, as long as the tapes still exist, older material still gets new fans from time to time.

17. Kilby Nov 15th 2012 at 03:31 pm 17

@ Inkwell (16) - Years ago, upon seeing an old film clip of Peter Paul & Mary for the very first time, I quickly saw the connection to a particular Muppet character. Whoever played her on The Muppet Show did such a superb job of imitating Mary’s head motions that it was easily recognizable (at least for anyone who had seen the group in concert).

18. James Pollock Nov 15th 2012 at 08:29 pm 18

Kilby, I assume you’re talking about Janice, who was a member of Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem (the Muppet Show house band).

(A google image search of “Janice Dr. Teeth” provides an amazing variety of photos.

19. Powers Nov 15th 2012 at 09:58 pm 19

I’ve never heard of a connection between Janice and Mary Travers. Janice was originally conceived as a male, a bit Jagger-ish. And her name is probably a reference to Joplin.

20. Mark in Boston Nov 15th 2012 at 11:35 pm 20

Well, pianos were ubiquitous in Liberace’s day. Real ones are rare now, and even rarer are pipe organs, which is what Cameron Carpenter plays. Carpenter wears more rhinestones in one costume than Liberace owned in his entire wardrobe.

21. Elyrest Nov 15th 2012 at 11:44 pm 21

Real pianos are rare? Maybe it’s just the people I know, but there are lots of real pianos around. Nothing beats the sound and feel of a real piano.

22. Charlene Nov 16th 2012 at 05:02 pm 22

Of all the performers mentioned in this thread, Liberace was the most talented at least….

23. furrykef Nov 16th 2012 at 08:28 pm 23

I’m 28 and I know perfectly well who Liberace was. But then I don’t exactly own any DVDs of him…