The Wall

Cidu Bill on Nov 13th 2012

wall.gif

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, In the Bleachers, Steve Moore, comic strips, comics, humor | 15 responses so far

15 Responses to “The Wall”

1. Lost in A**2 Nov 13th 2012 at 12:30 am 1

Vultures, for those who don’t make it past “the wall.”

2. Arthur Nov 13th 2012 at 01:08 am 2

It would have been easier to understand without the pronoun problems. The second sentence
    says that the speakers are about to hit the wall.

3. Arthur Nov 13th 2012 at 01:11 am 3

Never mind. It is the runners talking, not the vultures. They’re commenting on
    the fact that the vultures are showing up right on time. I thought the vultures
    were congratulating themselves on their timing.

4. jjmcgaffey Nov 13th 2012 at 01:47 am 4

Given the title - Bill, are you familiar with the long-distance runner’s phenomenon of “the wall”? At a certain point in a marathon or similar (this guy says 20 miles, I’ve seen other numbers), a runner hits a point where his/her body more or less says “Ok, I’m done, collapsing now”. If the runner can push past that point, they can complete the marathon - but this is where a lot of people (who aren’t fully trained, or didn’t get the necessary nutrition, or whatever) drop out. Thus the vultures.

5. Kilby Nov 13th 2012 at 01:57 am 5

My first thought was it had something to do with The Truman Show - those folks all look like they are running perpendicular to the direction of the street, and are about to hit the camouflaged (fourth?) wall at the edge of the cartoonist’s universe.

P.S. There are several cartoons that seem to try to make poor drawing into their trademark “style” - I’ve never really liked any of them.

6. Powers Nov 13th 2012 at 07:55 am 6

Just how were we supposed to know those vaguely bird-shaped squiggles were vultures?

7. Elyrest Nov 13th 2012 at 09:18 am 7

Must be a Pink Floyd reference.

8. Dan W Nov 13th 2012 at 09:22 am 8

I’m with Elyrest. They sort of look like frayed bits of rope to me.

9. Lost in A**2 Nov 13th 2012 at 10:49 am 9

The head and neck of the one in the upper left corner is what tipped me in.

10. jjmcgaffey Nov 13th 2012 at 10:55 am 10

Huh. I never even thought about it. Saw the runners, saw the vultures (identified them as vultures), read the caption, maybe smiled a little and moved on. It wasn’t particularly funny to me, but it was completely understandable.

11. Keera Nov 13th 2012 at 03:25 pm 11

Nope, not vultures, but cracks in said wall. I’m agree with Kilby’s PS @5.

12. Ian Osmond Nov 13th 2012 at 06:28 pm 12

They look as much like vultures as the runners look like people.

13. Lola Nov 13th 2012 at 06:31 pm 13

For some reason I’d always just assumed the expression came from the section of the Philadelphia Bike Race that starts at the Manyunk wall. Very steep, very long and when the bikers are already very tired.

14. Mark in Boston Nov 13th 2012 at 06:59 pm 14

Pink Floyd? “Look, mummy. An aeroplane. Up in the sky.”

15. kosh Nov 20th 2012 at 03:57 pm 15

I am positive that it is a reference to an animation in the “Pink Floyd The Wall” movie. (Mark in Boston got it right.)

The reason they don’t look like normal birds (if they were vultures, they would have been drawn more conventionally) is because they are modeled after the animated flying bird-like creature in “Goodbye Blue Sky” from the movie.

See this video around the 1:45 mark where it briefly appears, and it will be obvious:

Funny = “the wall” that runners hit juxtaposed with ominous bird creatures from “The Wall” lurking overhead. Notice that in the caption “The Wall” is in quotes and capitalized.

BTW, it’s a great video, still fabulous animation after all these years. It’s a great movie, too, but you have to be in the mood for some brilliant grimness.