Sunday Funnies - LOL November 11, 2012

Cidu Bill on Nov 11th 2012

f-respect.gif
Morris Keesan:
hubble.png
Lola:
lola-lol.png

Filed in Bill Bickel, Comics That Made Us Laugh Out Loud, Cyanide and Happiness, F-Minus, Tony Carrillo, comic strips, comics, humor, lol, xkcd | 16 responses so far

16 Responses to “Sunday Funnies - LOL November 11, 2012”

1. Jeff S. Nov 11th 2012 at 12:26 am 1

Of course, objects appear redder when viewed through the windshield.

2. Usual John Nov 11th 2012 at 01:39 am 2

Jeff S.: No, they appear bluer through the windshield, assuming you mean the front windshield and the car is moving forward.

3. skaloop Nov 11th 2012 at 01:42 am 3

Jeff #1 - Other way ’round; they’ll be redder than they appear which means they’ll appear bluer than they really are.

4. James Pollock Nov 11th 2012 at 01:52 am 4

You’re all wrong, because you don’t know if you’re approaching objects in front of you or not (you could be backing up, or they may be accelerating faster than you are) and vice versa for objects behind you.

That’s what you get for taking cartoon physics seriiously (although this is a better example than most.)

5. skaloop Nov 11th 2012 at 02:07 am 5

James - Not wrong, just working under a specific set of assumptions.

6. Jeff S. Nov 11th 2012 at 11:13 am 6

Yeah, I realized I worded it wrong. In my defense… it was late when I posted. lol

7. zookeeper Nov 11th 2012 at 11:50 am 7

I love this website. What a crowd.

8. Mark in Boston Nov 11th 2012 at 12:59 pm 8

But officer, the light appeared green to me, due to the blue-shift.

9. fj Nov 11th 2012 at 01:09 pm 9

@4…

Well, if we are going to be picky, it is an object’s relative velocity– not acceleration– at the moment of observation that would determine if the shift is to the red or blue.

10. Mark M Nov 11th 2012 at 01:15 pm 10

Just a technical quibble on the C&H - average IQ is always 100 right? Isn’t that the definition of IQ?

11. Jeff S. Nov 11th 2012 at 03:20 pm 11

Actually, unless there was a HUGE difference in relative velocities, EVERY direction you looked would be redshifted, even in Hubble’s mirror.

12. Elyrest Nov 11th 2012 at 09:58 pm 12

Mark M - I have to ask why the average IQ would always be 100. It’s been a while since I paid much attention to it, but I don’t remember that 100 being used as average. Then again do you mean the average person’s IQ is 100 ? Or that the average IQ is 100? My IQ was pretty high when I was younger, but I think I’ve dumbed-up as I’ve aged.

13. The Vicar Nov 11th 2012 at 10:29 pm 13

@Elyrest:

In any given modern IQ test, the scores are adjusted so that “average” is 100.

But you could still have the nation’s average rise — provided that other countries were included in the scoring and their average scores remained the same.

14. Elyrest Nov 11th 2012 at 11:29 pm 14

The Vicar - Thank you. If I knew that I have obviously forgotten it.

15. James Pollock Nov 12th 2012 at 12:53 am 15

By defintion, average IQ is 100. IQ is the ratio of the individual’s intelligence compared to average. Viewed as an instantaneous measurement, average IQ MUST be 100. Viewed as a historical measurement, it can rise or fall.

16. Ian Osmond Nov 12th 2012 at 02:48 pm 16

Mark in Boston: my favorite take on that was in Casey and Andy, when Andy tries to get out of a ticket for running a red light, so the cop figures out how fast he must have been going to get that kind of red shift, and gives them a speeding ticket for that, instead.