Moderately Organic

Cidu Bill on Nov 8th 2012

organic-moderately.gif

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Jeff Stahler, Moderately Confused, comic strips, comics, humor | 13 responses so far

13 Responses to “Moderately Organic”

1. Rasheed Nov 8th 2012 at 11:47 pm 1

Because GMOs, industrial pesticides, and bulk transport haven’t been invented yet, apparently.

2. Elyrest Nov 8th 2012 at 11:52 pm 2

I think the point is that all food that “cavemen” ate was authentic, organic, and local. There just weren’t any other options.

3. Jeff S. Nov 9th 2012 at 01:12 am 3

Not meatloaf again…

4. James Pollock Nov 9th 2012 at 02:26 am 4

It’s a simple reversal-of-expectations. Today, most of what we eat is industrially pre-processed and transported long distances to our kitchens, and something that is authentic, organic and local is unusual. Back in cave-person times, however, everything was authentic, organic, and local and pre-processed food would have been unusual. So the point is, see how things have changed?

5. Annie Benson Nov 9th 2012 at 08:38 am 5

Jeff S at 3 nailed it, I believe. In today’s world some people would authentic, organic and local cuisine to be a special treat. Back int the day, though it was the the same old same old.

6. Christine Nov 9th 2012 at 09:51 am 6

I think there’s also a layer of poking fun at people who think that we live in such an enlightened age, where we finally have access to authentic, organic and local food. Whereas processed food, the green revolution and international markets are all the products of modern technology.

7. heather Nov 9th 2012 at 10:44 am 7

@Christine - I wouldn’t say that we “finally” have access to authentic, organic, local food at all. We might ‘finally’ have access AGAIN, after decades of the market being saturated with processed, imported, chemical-ridden semi-food. Organic/local is popular enough now that it’s getting easier to *find*. But it’s not because we’re in such an ‘enlightened age’… we’re just finally recognizing that many of the technologies and commercial pressures applied to our food supply have been counterproductive and it’s time to take a few steps back.

And I agree that processed food and international markets are products of modern technology, which is exactly what the organic/local food movement is reacting *against*. As for the green revolution — yes, in terms of producing power via solar and other clean sources, that is ‘modern technology’. But that has nothing to do with organic/local food production. Modern organic farmers certainly can and do use modern technology for various parts of their operation, but for the most part they use old-fashioned methods in their actual farming.

I think the point of the comic is that we get bored with whatever we have on a regular basis, so something that’s special to group A might be boring to those in group B who have it all the time. I don’t think it’s poking fun at the locavore movement… if anything, it’s demonstrating exactly what “authentic organic local” food is all about — it’s what human beings have been eating throughout history, it’s simple, basic, food.

8. mitch4 Nov 9th 2012 at 11:26 am 8

I agree with Christine #6.

Also (and consistent with that) when I saw Brewster Rockit today (at http://www.gocomics.com/brewsterrockit/2012/11/09) it reminded me that indeed some people in the “foodie” trend do talk about a “paleo diet” configured like this.

9. Christine Nov 9th 2012 at 03:54 pm 9

@Heather: I wouldn’t say it either - I’d join the cartoonist in mocking the people who do say it. Specifically what I mock is the idea of “Progress” - some sort of march towards an ideal, and every change is better than the last, so if we have something good now it must be better than what we had before. I think that’s as dangerous an idea as thinking that if our grandparents had it it must be better than what we have now.

10. Mark in Boston Nov 9th 2012 at 06:52 pm 10

Wild horses eat authentic, organic, local grass. After spending all day walking on it, peeing on it and pooping on it.

11. Dave in Boston Nov 10th 2012 at 02:54 pm 11

The “Green Revolution” specifically means crops bred for enhanced yield and other useful properties, some years back. Nothing to do with solar power.

12. Kilby Nov 10th 2012 at 06:57 pm 12

@ Dave (11) - Make that “decades back”, I remember learning (in the early 80’s) about the “Green Revolution” as a “historical” accomplishment of the 60’s & 70’s. As I recall, one significant development was “short stalk” varieties that could tolerate larger amounts of fertilizer, producing heavier yields that still did not cause the stalks to collapse before harvest.

13. Dave in Boston Nov 10th 2012 at 08:57 pm 13

Yes, the 60s were some years back.