Ohio

Cidu Bill on Nov 6th 2012

ohio.gif

One of the best-ever “taking advantage of the three week lag” comics

Filed in Arlo and Janis, Bill Bickel, Election Day, Jimmy Johnson, comic strips, comics, humor | 21 responses so far

21 Responses to “Ohio”

1. Proginoskes Nov 7th 2012 at 03:06 am 1

He’s probably also waiting for Florida to be decided. (That’s another one that could have been called three weeks ago.)

2. padraig Nov 7th 2012 at 10:59 am 2

According to Faux News, the whole election is still wide open!

3. Judge Mental Nov 7th 2012 at 11:23 am 3

I thought today’s Pearl Before Swine took a clever approach to circumvent the lag time (which Pastis asserts is 10 weeks in his case)

4. Judge Mental Nov 7th 2012 at 11:24 am 4

Apparent I goofed the link to today’s Pearls and Wordpress stripped it:

5. Daniel J. Drazen Nov 7th 2012 at 12:39 pm 5

I can sympathize with Arlo. I want to read about the election, including details about how it all came together, but I can wait because I want to believe that time will allow scholars to get it right and sorted out. To say “Obama carried Ohio” isn’t exactly a spoiler when you wake up the morning after. HOW he did it takes time to analyze, something the Talking Heads on TV have yet to master.

6. J-L Nov 7th 2012 at 01:15 pm 6

Arlo is doing what I did yesterday at the mall’s food court (hands over his ears and singing), so I can empathize with him. I figured I’d be safe in the food court, as there were no televisions or radios nearby.

Can you believe someone was able to check election results over his phone??

I mean, his phone! What is this, the future?

7. Elyrest Nov 7th 2012 at 01:17 pm 7

Daniel J. Drazen - I think it’s because they aren’t talking with their heads.

8. AMC Nov 7th 2012 at 04:02 pm 8

Living in Ohio, I can tell you - they called Ohio.

And called.

And called.

And called.

And called.

9. Cidu Bill Nov 7th 2012 at 04:50 pm 9

J-L, next time around we’ll probably be able to vote on our phones.

10. Mary in Ohio Nov 7th 2012 at 05:54 pm 10

Thank goodness Ohio was not decided by one vote, because it would have been my friend who had emergency suurgery for a brain tumor last Thursday and is still in the hospital (but doing quite well, thanks) so she DID NOT VOTE!! ( : - ( )

11. The Bad Seed Nov 7th 2012 at 07:45 pm 11

I think this A&J is genius and hilarious! By the way, in 4 years I’m going to vote early that day, schedule elective surgery of some sort at noon, insist on general anesthesia, and insist they keep me out until midnight. I don’t care how we get there, I hate the drawn-out results projecting and reporting process, and I only want to know the outcome.

12. Cidu Bill Nov 7th 2012 at 07:57 pm 12

Bad Seed, maybe in 2016 I’ll do the CIDU Marathon on Election Day instead of in July, just to keep everybody occupied.

13. Mark in Boston Nov 7th 2012 at 08:01 pm 13

So the Republicans weren’t able to hack the voting machines after all?

14. Arthur Nov 7th 2012 at 08:12 pm 14

One of the best-ever “taking advantage of the three week lag” comics

The comic, as it was, was okay. But when you put in perspective like that, I found it really funny.
    Yet it’s something I wouldn’t have thought about on my own. Thanks.

15. Jeff S. Nov 7th 2012 at 09:46 pm 15

AMC, were they getting a busy signal?

16. AMC Nov 7th 2012 at 10:24 pm 16

The calls were getting screened and deleted off the answering machine.

The mailings were getting pitched.

And I stopped watching TV - and in the car, I just listened to old time radio shows where the only political ads were for Eisenhower.

It was unrelenting being in a battleground state with the new unlimited money rules. Like erectile dysfunction ads X10 on steroids.

Nothing to do but turtle for months. And lie to pollsters. :-)

17. Jeff Nov 7th 2012 at 10:58 pm 17

Synchronicity with Conan O’Brien’s twitter feed
    “DON’T TELL ME WHO WON THE ELECTION. I’ve got it Tivoed. #NoSpoilers”

18. chuckers Nov 8th 2012 at 12:04 am 18

When Shrub the Elder was running for President the first time around I wanted to see how long I could go without knowing the results of the election so purposefully avoid TV that day and a few days afterward.

I think I made it about 3 weeks before an accidental glance at a headline in a newspaper (remember those?) made mention of President Elect Bush.

Of course this was also LONG before the general concept of the Internet being available.

19. Boise Ed Nov 8th 2012 at 05:23 pm 19

We went to a friend’s house for a small election-watching party Tuesday night. She had CNN on, but in retrospect, it might have been fun to have Faux News, to watch them go apoplectic. Jon Stewart’s The Daily Show did show some hilarious clips of them in denial, as the real world heard the deciding results. See http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-november-7-2012/post-democalypse-2012—america-takes-a-shower—karl-rove-s-math The best part is at 1:56 of that clip, where a Faux News woman asks Karl Rove “Is this just math that you do as a Republican to make yourself feel better, or is this real?”

20. Paperboy Nov 8th 2012 at 07:10 pm 20

Laughing at those that called the election wrong is like somebody on the Titanic laughing at the people who said it was unsinkable.

21. Meryl A Nov 13th 2012 at 03:10 am 21

Hey, good thing they announced it Tuesday night or those of us hit by Sandy might not have known about it for a week or more.