Netflix

Cidu Bill on Nov 5th 2012

netflix.gif
Okay, presumably Guy or Rodd (or maybe this Dan guy who somehow Cousin Olivered himself into the strip) doesn’t like Netflix; but what’s the joke?

Filed in Bill Bickel, Brevity, Guy & Rodd, comic strips, comics, humor | 15 responses so far

15 Responses to “Netflix”

1. jjmcgaffey Nov 5th 2012 at 12:51 am 1

Um…he’s going to claim they were lost in the mail? He’s going to cancel his account and therefore not pay his monthly fee? I can see his point about paying, since what he’s dropping is Dumb and Dumber, but no, I’ve got no clue where Netflix fits in here.

2. skaloop Nov 5th 2012 at 12:54 am 2

He’s “streaming” his movies.

3. RyanE Nov 5th 2012 at 01:04 am 3

skaloop beat me to it.

Stream *all* the movies.

4. rain Nov 5th 2012 at 01:38 am 4

Can’t be dropping Netflix videos into that stream, either. Netflix uses envelopes and only sends the discs, not the plastic cases.

Weird, out of touch, not funny, only barely recognizable as an attempted joke about “streaming”. Bah.

5. James Pollock Nov 5th 2012 at 04:04 am 5

I don’t know about Netflix, but if you don’t return your redbox, they call it a sale and charge your card accordingly. This is why you have to swipe a card even if you have a code for a free rental. So you won’t pay $7 for it, you’ll pay $29.95 (plus tax where applicable).

6. Marshal Nov 5th 2012 at 07:37 am 6

Perhaps he is throwing away his own movies and not Netflix.

7. Mark M Nov 5th 2012 at 08:49 am 7

I think it’s simply a variation of dumb blonde jokes. Guy thinks he is sticking it to Netflix not realizing he just bought some movies.

8. mitch4 Nov 5th 2012 at 09:00 am 8

I’ve had occasional lost discs with Netflix, which they did not charge me for — after filling out forms about what mailbox did I put it in, etc. They also had an option of “I’d like to keep and pay for this disk.” that was a simple checkbox option, making it more like an intentional transaction rather than a shaming error and penalty.

9. UXO Nov 5th 2012 at 09:05 am 9

skaloop’s got it, but so does rain. Not even close to funny.

And mitch4, I’ve never done it, but I thought I saw or heard somewhere that if you exercise that option, they send you a case and insert for it - or did I dream that?

10. Ian Osmond Nov 5th 2012 at 09:06 am 10

Skaloop’s explanation works for me. It’s an extra $7/month to be able to stream movies. But he’s found a way to stream movies for FREE!

11. J-L Nov 5th 2012 at 10:55 am 11

Maybe the angle isn’t right, but the movie he’s dropping into the river appears to be a VHS cassette. The yellow one in the box seems to be one, too. But I can’t tell with the others.

How exactly the movies being VHS cassettes add to the joke, I have no idea.

(Maybe he’s implying that Netflix is only good for getting people to throw away their VHS collections?)

12. Judge Mental Nov 5th 2012 at 11:23 am 12

Skaloop (2) has it , and what rain (4) seems to be pointing out as a “flaw” is actually part of the joke. I think some are getting hung up with the mistaken notion that the movies being dropped came from Netflix. However, I think the implication is that these movies are are *NOT* Netflix copies, because dumb guy expressly isn’t going to pay Netflix for the privilege of streaming movies.

The fact the guy is so dumb that he think *this* is streaming, makes him also too dumb to realize this only “works” if he already is in possession of a copy of the movie.

I understand the confusion about those being Netflix copies, because he says “Joke’s on Netflix”, but in dumb guy’s mind, the “joke” is merely he has found an alternative way to stream movies. Yes, there are other businesses that stream movies, but Netflix makes for the most straight-forward reference re: streaming (and as we have seen, it still wasn’t *that* obvious).

13. Woodrowfan Nov 5th 2012 at 11:23 am 13

yep, he’s “streaming his videos.” gad.

14. rain Nov 5th 2012 at 02:05 pm 14

Would have worked better as a Mr Boffo “Unclear on the Concept” strip.

15. Mark in Boston Nov 5th 2012 at 07:21 pm 15

That’s all there is to it? Is this the guy who tiptoes past the medicine cabinet so he won’t wake up the sleeping pills?